Another great day at Redondo

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Another great day at Redondo

Post by Penopolypants »

We had several excellent dives yesterday at Redondo with Sheri, Scottsax, Squishyduck, and DiveMonkey (not ORdiver, oops). Peewee, Max, and a mellow black lab named Petunia kept us company during the surface interval.

Both Scott and I had new suits to try out (a DUI CF200 for him, a Fusion for me), and both totally rocked! Well, his needs new boots, but other than that, they were great.

There was a negative low tide that had us walking almost to the end of the pier before dropping down, and visibility was still pretty bad, but not as bad a cove 2 earlier in the week. It opened up to maybe 10 feet, but with lots of cottony type stuff floating about.

We saw a tiny pacific spiny lumpsucker (yay!), a sturgeon poacher, a couple of mosshead warbonnets, a teeny tiny sailfin sculpin, a cockerel’s dorid, and a handful of other nudis. And an octo, way back in its den. I only saw a few gunnels, which was surprising, but the bottom was exploding with flounder. Many were simply hanging out on top of the kelp.
I saw one thing I’ve never seen before, which was a baby grunt sculpin. Anyone know what the breeding habits are for grunts? I’ve seen them guard eggs, but do the babies hang out with mom or dad afterwards?

You can see the baby in the lower left hand side, and the adult on the right (sorry for the crappy pic)
Mom and baby.jpg

and the cottony stuff with the lumpsucker:
psl.jpg
In all, it was a great day of diving!
Last edited by Penopolypants on Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Re: Another great day at Redondo

Post by YellowEye »

Very cool
I've seen a baby grunt before, but not with any obvious parents around
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

i knew i should have gone diving this weekend! sounds like you all had a great time. maybe when i can finally make it back to redondo, there will be a lumpsucker or two still around.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

How will I be able to tell it's Ppants without the green stripes anymore?! #-o Oh yeah, and the baby grunt was kind of cool, I guess... I mean, if you're into that sort of thing. Lumpsucker? Yeah, they're alright too, I suppose.

Is it just me or does Redondo sound like the place to be lately?! :smt119
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Sounder wrote:Is it just me or does Redondo sound like the place to be lately?! :smt119
it sure does. too bad i won't get there until august at the earliest. :-({|=
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by lundysd »

If you don't mind fighting traffic and enjoy a dive with a lotta little critters, Redondo is consistently a GREAT dive site. I've seen more uncommon stuff there in less than a dozen dives than I have at most any other Seattle dive site.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

lundysd wrote:If you don't mind fighting traffic and enjoy a dive with a lotta little critters, Redondo is consistently a GREAT dive site. I've seen more uncommon stuff there in less than a dozen dives than I have at most any other Seattle dive site.
Ask Valerie about "uncommon" stuff at Redondo! Pacific Electric Ray and a Mola Mola (sunfish)... and she's got the pictures to prove it!! :hello2:
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by lundysd »

No way Doug!!! I want to see them -- a Mola Mola up here?!??! and a pacific electric ray? I've heard those are seen here every 4-5 years!!!
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

lundysd wrote:No way Doug!!! I want to see them -- a Mola Mola up here?!??! and a pacific electric ray? I've heard those are seen here every 4-5 years!!!
Yep, I've 'em both at Redondo. The Mola Mola was hanging around in 15-20 fsw, the Electric Ray around 35fsw. Both of them blew me away :book: .

Tonight at Redonod Wylerbear and I saw baby Grunt sculpins, I found my first Lumpsucker (I've seen them before, but never found one myself), we encountered octos both large and small, sturgeon poachers, baby sailfins and a wee baby snake prickleback that was as cute as the dickens.

-Valerie
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Yeah, for some reason, the feet are XXXL Turbo Soles, which even with wool socks on are gi-freaking-normous! A little floppy, but not too bad. Definitely will upgrade to Rock Boots.

Great diving with everybody-it was such a pleasure to finally be back in Puget Sound!
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
DiveMonkey
Just Settling In

Post by DiveMonkey »

Penopolypants wrote:We had several excellent dives yesterday at Redondo with Sheri, Scottsax, Squishyduck, and ORdiver.

Minor correction... :book: DiveMonkey was there (Perhaps we'll see ORdiver on a future outing). I had a great time diving with some great folks and definitely my best dives in PNW to date! Lots of new critter sightings for me this weekend. And thanks to Penopolypants for being such a great guide!

:occasion5:
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

DiveMonkey wrote:
Penopolypants wrote:We had several excellent dives yesterday at Redondo with Sheri, Scottsax, Squishyduck, and ORdiver.

Minor correction... :book: DiveMonkey was there (Perhaps we'll see ORdiver on a future outing). I had a great time diving with some great folks and definitely my best dives in PNW to date! Lots of new critter sightings for me this weekend. And thanks to Penopolypants for being such a great guide!

:occasion5:
Yikes! I'm so sorry, I'm really bad with names! Or perhaps I was just distracted by your super awesome band name. :)

You are quite welcome! Please let me know when you can come back up and we'll do it again.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Sounder wrote:How will I be able to tell it's Ppants without the green stripes anymore?! #-o
I'm picking up lime green dry gloves today. :supz:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Penopolypants wrote:
Sounder wrote:How will I be able to tell it's Ppants without the green stripes anymore?! #-o
I'm picking up lime green dry gloves today. :supz:
Whew!!
DiveMonkey
Just Settling In

Post by DiveMonkey »

Penopolypants wrote:Yikes! I'm so sorry, I'm really bad with names!
No worries, So am I... You must have missed me getting Scott's name wrong half of the day. LOL - sorry Scott.

Still, I couldn't help noticing that you got the dog's name right. :smt064

Har har har.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

DiveMonkey wrote:
Penopolypants wrote:Yikes! I'm so sorry, I'm really bad with names!
No worries, So am I... You must have missed me getting Scott's name wrong half of the day. LOL - sorry Scott.

Still, I couldn't help noticing that you got the dog's name right. :smt064

Har har har.
Eh-no worries. I blame my inability to remember names on nitrogen poisoning. I recommend everyone do the same. I still don't recognize most of my dive buddies without their suits and masks on. Penelope not having lime green stripes is going to mess me up-hopefully the gloves will help!
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

Hey everyone. I'm sorry to have missed this dive that I didn't know I was originally included on. I would have loved to see a Lumpsucker. I have not been diving in the last few weeks due to some family issues in the midwest but I hope to make an appearance on 7/12 .....diving in a wet suit in 43 degree Clear Lake, OR..... Like a moron.
DiveMonkey
Just Settling In

Post by DiveMonkey »

HEY! This moron is still diving wet too.... 50 degrees at depth for Redondo last weekend. Can't quite bring myself to join the clear lake crew - although with some arm twisting.... Who knows? Let me know how you fare!
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

Cold water wet suit divers RULE!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

ORDiver wrote:Cold water wet suit divers RULE!
wait until november, sucker.
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

spatman wrote:
By then maybe I'll be able to afford a dry suit. Then I can write a thread about how I could never go back to wearing a wet suit in the northwest.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

ORDiver wrote:
spatman wrote:
By then maybe I'll be able to afford a dry suit. Then I can write a thread about how I could never go back to wearing a wet suit in the northwest.
that's pretty much how i went, too, though i skipped the owning a wetsuit part. went from renting one through late october, said "i'm freezing my *ss off", and picked up a used drysuit to keep diving through the winter.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Vis at Redondo tonight was nothing short of "WOW" ... 25-30 in the shallows, and well over 40 feet at the carousel boat. As we approached the boat we could see the whole thing at least 20 feet before we even got to the statues ... you didn't even need a light.

No lumpsuckers ... but lots of octos ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Last year on July 9th, Tim and I went diving and we had some of the best vis in a forever long time.
It lasted about a week...
YIPPPEE!!!
Who's diving?
K
"Let's go diving!"
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"