My first "real" dives

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
FlyinV
Dive-aholic

My first "real" dives

Post by FlyinV »

I went on my first "real" dive trip with Bandito charters yesterday and it was fantastic!
My instructor happened to be acting as a sub-divemaster since my LDS had arranged the trip, but he was just really there to make sure all the shop clients had a smooth experience.
8 people from our LDS and 6 people who went direct with Bandito or thru other shops.

I got an insta-buddy with a diver (from another shop) that had a small number of dives but was really new to his dry suit.

Bandito charters http://www.pugetsoundventures.com/bandito/
Great crew - great boat - excellent experience and value.
We dove at the KVI Towers and the Maury Island Barges.
I am sure everyone here already knows about them, dives with them or dove with them, but for other noobs who wander by these guys make it easy.

The KVI Towers http://www.theperfectdive.com/DEF-Site.asp?sID=18
A bit chaotic at the start as I lost my buddy for a minute and the water got silted up.
I waited at the line for a minute and he turned up. (had an ear problem)
We had agreed to descend and meet there so it all worked out as planned.
Swam down the concrete blocks saw some cool stuff.
I sucked down my air like it was going out of style and the dive was only a 20 minute dive.
Luckily my buddy didn't mind and said it will get better as you do a more dives.

Maury Island Barges http://www.theperfectdive.com/DEF-Site.asp?sID=31
OK I am a new guy who has not seen anything yet but holy cow what a fantastic site!
I really look forward to going back here.
Fish all over -- Huge Sea Stars and interesting structures to look around at.
We didn't make it over to the wreck with the octopus in it as there were a few too many divers around that area.
My buddy did a fantastic job navigating down the barges and back and we did our safety stop by some pilings with some interesting creatures we could look at during the stop. I did a better on my air and am confident in a few more dives I can relax more and maximize the dive.

See you in the water,
Jeff
Jeff V
Octo Buddy Dive Tours - www.octobuddy.com
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: My first "real" dives

Post by Dusty2 »

Good show! It will get easier and your air will last longer. It takes time to get everything right and start feeling more at ease. It will come. Join in on some of the buddy dives and let them help you get your gear, trim and buoyancy in order and it will make a huge of difference.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: My first "real" dives

Post by LCF »

The Bandito folks do a lovely job, whether you're a novice or a seasoned Puget Sound diver.

Sounds like you guys had a couple of good dives. I'd like to get back and do KVI towers; I haven't been there in a long time. The Maury Island Barges are a great place to find numerous species of nudibranchs, if you go slowly and look carefully.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames