Viz Reports Thread

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
airsix
I've Got Gills

Re: Viz Reports Thread

Post by airsix »

cardiver wrote:TTN this evening was 30' plus below 40'
Hey, Ron! Those are great shots. Looks like you and the new picture box are already getting along well together.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

airsix wrote:
cardiver wrote:TTN this evening was 30' plus below 40'
Hey, Ron! Those are great shots. Looks like you and the new picture box are already getting along well together.

-Ben
Thanks, guys! I really like the waythat I have it set up for macro. The strobe on top of the camera makes all the difference!
While the viz was great yesterday, the critters were non existant. I shot only in auto mode but will play around with manual and aperature priority next time.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Hood Canal, 6-26 & 6-27:
Respectable 15-20ft viz below 10fsw.

Happy Diving!
MZ
:fish:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Redondo tonight was 2-3'shallow and 15' below 40.
Attachments
M0010098.JPG
M0010087.JPG
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Vis on the Madrona/Leschi wall is holding steady at 30-40' ... swim down is getting a bit murkier 10-15', but still tolerable :) Awesome dive with Lamont, Kees and Dennis at our weekly TWEEK!!!!!! THANKS GUYS!! Diving for sure makes everything better...
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
wenatchee
Avid Diver

Post by wenatchee »

Vis at Lake Chelan was approximately 25' just north of lake Chelan State Park. We dove to 64' and the vis was the same throughout the dive. Minimum dive temp was 54 F at 64 feet. Chelan is filling and the spring run-off season is nearing its end. We anticipate better vis soon. Lake Chelan gets up to 100' vis in the winter, I'm told by my dive buddy (he has a dry-suit and dives in the winter).
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

wenatchee wrote:Vis at Lake Chelan was approximately 25' just north of lake Chelan State Park. We dove to 64' and the vis was the same throughout the dive. Minimum dive temp was 54 F at 64 feet. Chelan is filling and the spring run-off season is nearing its end. We anticipate better vis soon. Lake Chelan gets up to 100' vis in the winter, I'm told by my dive buddy (he has a dry-suit and dives in the winter).
Ugh - it's too early to be looking forward to winter. Say - do you know anything about sockeye salmon accumulating in Lake Chelan in their spawning colors? I'd love to get photos of them and heard a rumor that certain times of year and certain locations are really great for snapping photos there.

Diamond Knot today - visibility was a disappointing 15' - 20', but improved some after the small flood. Visibility was as good or better further in through the Strait (surprisingly enough) - couple of other dives with pretty decent visibility nearer Port Angeles and then Deception Pass area.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Cove 2 this afternoon was about 15-20 below a thermocline at about 40 fsw; above that it was crap.

Redondo was about the same, except the thermocline was at 25 feet. Above it, like around the pier, my wife and I had to hold hands to keep from getting separated. Fortunately, I'm pretty sure she doesn't have cooties :angelblue:
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
wenatchee
Avid Diver

Post by wenatchee »

Ugh - it's too early to be looking forward to winter. Say - do you know anything about sockeye salmon accumulating in Lake Chelan in their spawning colors? I'd love to get photos of them and heard a rumor that certain times of year and certain locations are really great for snapping photos there.

I am not sure when the sockeye are in spawning colors in the lake... Sorry.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Viz at DIW last night was 20-30 fsw at depth and 15 fsw in the shallows. Tides were screwy and we had a flood during our entire 75 minutes in the water.....
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Les Davis this afternoon just after high tide was about 10' above 40 fsw, 20-20' below that.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Benoit
Aquaphile

Post by Benoit »

TTN Thursday 8th at 9pm, from 0fsw to 70fsw was pea soup for the most part. Worst viz I've ever seen at TTN - or more importantly worst viz ever seen by BASSMAN at TTN.
- Benoit.
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

Post by Rockfish »

Mukilteo oil dock vis this AM (-2 tide) above the thermocline was 3 feet at best below the thermocline 10-15 feet. Water was a toasty 54F. I'm happy to say that the bad vis did not affect our ability to both get our limits.

Mike
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

Hit EUP this AM and while the surface swim was a short one... We walked out to the first bouy and along Jetty way... The vis was about 2'-3' at best, :angry: of course we only got 26' of depth as we cruised out to the pontoon... Thank goodness for marked trails and a compass... :rofl: Saw some interesting little nudis though... All in all a good dive though just had to go low and slow...
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

wenatchee
Avid Diver

Post by wenatchee »

Lake Chelan is about 25 - 30' vis right now just below Fields Point Landing. It will continue to improve as the lake level is now rather stable and run-off is slowing.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Redondo Sat AM. Maybe 3 feet -soup. Even the tanks at the MAST Aquarium were pretty lousy since it is not filtered.
For those of you who have never checked it out there is a nice little aquarium in that building at the end of the pier you dive under.

Very low tide almost out to the end of the pier. Fair amount of current for Redondo once it started flooding.
Surprisingly few divers out.
We were doing trial set up work for the video feed for Dive Around the Clock next weekend. You can see a short recording of the dive/viz on the site.
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/dive-arou ... clock-2010
Video diver - Jim McGauhey
Support diver - Joyce Merkel
I was doing line tending and Randy Williams (Starfish) was doing the technical work.
We had trouble with the AGA Guardian mike so used that full face contraption the MAST Center had. Still had audio problems anyway. We could communicate but couldn't get it to feed to the net. Hoping to have that sorted out by next weekend.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Cove 2 this morning -- 2 to 3 feet down to 40.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Possession Point Fingers below 15' it opens nicely to 20 + feet visibility. Fog above..
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
psundquist
Avid Diver

Post by psundquist »

Salt Creek County Park Tounge Point 30' viz on Friday
Lake Crescent 60' viz on Saturday, 52F

From reading the other viz reports, I was lucky to find the right weekend to dive outside of the Seattle area.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Just got back from a week at Port Townsend. Don't know whats up but the viz was some of the worst I have seen up there. Above 20' it was maybe arms length. Below it was maybe 10 silty feet at the best of times. One day we called the dive after 25 min with over 2000 psi still left. :angry:

The good news is my new light lit up things like day light! :taco: :taco:
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Les Davis @ 1700 tonight was 6-8'. Better than I expected!
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Mukilteo tonight was muck above about 25 feet, but at the geodome, you could clearly see a diver on the other side of the dome. Quite a nice, albeit a bit dark, dive.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
psundquist
Avid Diver

Post by psundquist »

Tuesday evening Redondo 2' viz at Salty's Pier (12 fsw), 8' viz at Bottle Field (90 fsw)
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Lake Washington, 30' or better down to 50 feet.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

LCF wrote:Lake Washington, 30' or better down to 50 feet.
Wow. Off chance I could drop you guys on the Bomber Saturday--not Sunday. Lemme know. Depart would be from Mercer Island.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.