Viz Reports Thread

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Re: Viz Reports Thread

Post by cardiver »

Redondo tonight was 5, snot- filled feet of schmutz!
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Pt Lobos today -- 10 to 15 in the cove, opened up to maybe 30 below 80 feet. Felt like home, except there was a lot more color :)
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Les Davis tonight was about 10 feet......
Attachments
M0010801.JPG
M0010799.JPG
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Langley Tire Reef, Wednesday 4PM- 8 to 10 feet - where is the good vis gone this year?
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

good vis is in cove 2! it was 20-30 tonight where we were :) beautiful!
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Fox Island West Wall on Tuesday was a good 40' or more, best I've ever seen there.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Cove 2 today was excellent! Viz was maybe 20 fsw and the sun was shinning. Calvin was looking a little "light" though.......
Attachments
M0010883.JPG
M0010871.JPG
M0010869.JPG
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Boy I need to head out to Cove 2 or FIWW. TTN was a poopstorm 10' viz on Monday Sep 6. I agree with Jan - good Summer viz never happened down here.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Redondo today, 9/11, about 15' at depth, hit bottlefield, then ended dive as my drysuit totally flooded. Even at 52 degree F, was still cold when it hit the crotch area.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

cove 2... 20-30... maybe more at times...

but y'all don't wanna see nice vis... ya... stay at 3tree and such... wouldn't want too many divers at the coves ;)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Would love to dive the coves...havent been there yet. However, seems as though I need a new zipper for my drysuit, so Im out for a bit.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Saturday, September 11th - Bandito Charters:

25 - 30 feet of vis on the Point Defiance North Wall. Thousands of tiny critters in the clam holes - warbonnets and wolf-eels.

15 - 20 feet of vis at Z's Reef. GPOs and wolf-eels EVERYWHERE, plus Rockfish (Browns and Coppers) so plentiful that you had to literally push them away at times!
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Took my AOW student on her deep dive to the I-beams yesterday afternoon. Vis in Cove 2 was 40-50 feet. When we dropped at the white buoy I could see the bottom from the surface ... and when we arrived at the I-beams I could see the plumose anemones at the downslope end of the beams from the rock pile at the upslope end.

We didn't even need our lights.

I told her not to get used to that ... we only get that kind of vis there a couple times a year.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Saltwater Park north reef yesterday, we had about 25-30 going in, down to about 20-25 as the tide came in. There was a hefty thermocline at 35fsw that reduced viz a little more on our way up, but all in all it was a fantastic dive. The marine life is thriving to the max there.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
psundquist
Avid Diver

Post by psundquist »

In case you didn't get any bottom time yesterday at the NWDC club dive....

John Rawlings conducted a viz report experiment when he surveyed everyone coming out of the water at Redondo during the NWDC Club Dive. Mine was the most conservative @ 25'-30' maybe that is due to my last dive a week ago having 100' viz (which wasn't in Puget Sound) or I splashed after silty sam or the students. Maybe John tell us the outcome of the experiment.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

First dive on quick repair zipper on my drysuit, decided to do Octopus hole in the Canal. Vis was good, probably about 20'. Only one other set of divers there, and they were exiting the water. They said they didnt see any GPO's, and one wolfie. Well.....We saw a total of 8 GPO, including 2 who were sharing a den.....go figure. Great dive!. OH..and zipper repair held.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

psundquist wrote:In case you didn't get any bottom time yesterday at the NWDC club dive....

John Rawlings conducted a viz report experiment when he surveyed everyone coming out of the water at Redondo during the NWDC Club Dive. Mine was the most conservative @ 25'-30' maybe that is due to my last dive a week ago having 100' viz (which wasn't in Puget Sound) or I splashed after silty sam or the students. Maybe John tell us the outcome of the experiment.
It was pretty variable over the course of the day. I got there early and got in a dive before everyone else showed up. It was low tide, and vis was spectacular ... at least 40 feet on that first dive. As the tide came in and more divers went out the vis decreased to maybe half that. Then my final dive of the day was after most folks had packed up and gone home ... tide had crested and was starting to go out ... and vis was better than 30 feet.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Viz in Cove 2 tonight was hard to measure, because it was dark, but the water was really clear -- I could shine my light around the jackstraw pilings by the Honey Bear and see ALL of them!

Viz at Redondo last night was good, viz in the lake yesterday was good, viz in the Coves is good -- this is a GREAT time to get out there and dive!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Viz at Redondo last night was as far as my lights beam.... Very nice right now!
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Viz at Sund Rock Friday was a solid 30'. Just wonderful.

Get out and dive people!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Tom Nic wrote:Viz at Sund Rock Friday was a solid 30'. Just wonderful....
:banghead:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
msmith80
Just Settling In

Post by msmith80 »

Redondo was 25-30' this morning. Around Noon it was down to 15' (couple classes today).
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

Three dives at Langley this morning... best vis I've seen there yet; probably 30 feet. Absolutely gorgeous with the sun shining down through the water. Camera fogged so no pics, dammit.
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Post by seainggreen »

Dove "the office" on Thursday around 5pm. Vis was spectacular. Here's a quick grab-n-slap video replay of Thursday afternoon's dive... it ain't anything special, but it shows how good vis was that day. Oh, we also saw 5 huge GPOs along the way so there's some footage of some of them too.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-sqK1AZet8[/youtube]

This morning's dive at the cove featured several GPOs as well but I was sans camera. Visibility was equally as stellar and I could see the surface ripples from 60 ft down. Nice!

Happy diving,
Seainggreen
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln, 1809 - 1865
Seainggreen Productions, LLC
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

seainggreen wrote:Dove "the office" on Thursday around 5pm. Vis was spectacular. Here's a quick grab-n-slap video replay of Thursday afternoon's dive... it ain't anything special, but it shows how good vis was that day. Oh, we also saw 5 huge GPOs along the way so there's some footage of some of them too.

This morning's dive at the cove featured several GPOs as well but I was sans camera. Visibility was equally as stellar and I could see the surface ripples from 60 ft down. Nice!

Happy diving,
Seainggreen
"Grab-n-slap." After seeing this I will never attempt video again. Really nice and yes, it looks like the vis was spectacular too.
"Well as much as this pains me I am gonna have to pull out" - pogiguy05