Viz Reports Thread

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: Viz Reports Thread

Post by LCF »

Mukilteo State Park, tonight -- disappointing viz, maybe 10 to 15 feet with a lot of particulates.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Cove 2 tonight was pretty horrible. Below 60 feet, it wasn't too bad -- 10 to 15; from 60 up, it was "hit your head on the jackstraw piling before you saw it". I almost thumbed us to the surface from 35 feet, because I was down to 12" above the bottom in order to see it. Yuck!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

Mukilteo T-dock was pretty good tonight. Below 60fsw the vis was as good as 30 feet, but variable.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

3 tree north .. Crap . The 50 feet has gone
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Lonestar
Compulsive Diver

Post by Lonestar »

Ditto LCF Cove 2 last night, vis was horrible. 1st dive there was a Harbor Seal swimming around, over, past, by, everything but into us as he was feasting on fish. It was kinda cool at first but got to be a PITA having to slam the brakes on repeatedly to avoid a collision with him. We didn't do a header into the jackstraw but darn near ran over the folks who were diving doubles, sorry!

Saw more life on 2nd dive, big school of Tubesnouts, Rat Fish, Stubby Squid, Longfin Sculpin, a small Red Octo, lots of shrimp and no Harbor Seal.

Thanks for the corrections and now I KNOW that I shouldn't have missed Janna's classes!
Last edited by Lonestar on Fri May 06, 2011 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim McClung

22nd Annual Scott Firefighter Stair Climb, support it: http://www.llswa.org/site/TR/Events/Big ... fr_id=1280
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

It's so funny how 15-20' can be called crap in one frame of mind and fantastic in another. Wait until it's less that 6' again and you'll be pining for the days of 15-20.
H20doctor wrote:3 tree north .. Crap . The 50 feet has gone
"Well as much as this pains me I am gonna have to pull out" - pogiguy05
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Lonestar wrote:
Saw more life on 2nd dive, big school of the needle shaped fish, (guess I should not have missed Janna's classes so I would have known what they are)
I think you are seeing Tube Snouts
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

And you probably aren't seeing Cuttlefish. Perhaps Squid? Maybe Stubby Squid?
Georgia

LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I would have been thrilled with 15 to 20! Above 30 feet, we were measuring viz in that many inches :)
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Lonestar wrote:Ditto LCF Cove 2 last night, vis was horrible. 1st dive there was a sea lion swimming around, over, past, by, everything but into us as he was feasting on fish. It was kinda cool at first but got to be a PITA having to slam the brakes on repeatedly to avoid a collision with him. We didn't do a header into the jackstraw but darn near ran over the folks who were diving doubles, sorry!

Saw more life on 2nd dive, big school of the needle shaped fish, (guess I should not have missed Janna's classes so I would have known what they are) Rat Fish, cuttlefish, Longfin Sculpin, a small Red Octo, lots of shrimp and no sea lion.
What you saw was probably a harbor seal ... I do see sea lions at Cove 2 from time to time, but harbor seals are far more common. Sea lions are big, and typically don't interact with divers. Harbor seals like our dive lights, and flit around making a silty mess. They're "cute" for about 30 seconds ... then you just wish they'd go off and bother somebody else.

There were 11 of us out on scooters last night ... in that vis, it made for some interesting developments ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Lonestar
Compulsive Diver

Post by Lonestar »

I'll go with Harbor Seal, coloring was right as well as getting tired of him lickety split! So the long skinny little fish are?

Bet that was some fun scootin' around in all that!
Tim McClung

22nd Annual Scott Firefighter Stair Climb, support it: http://www.llswa.org/site/TR/Events/Big ... fr_id=1280
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Lonestar wrote:I'll go with Harbor Seal, coloring was right as well as getting tired of him lickety split! So the long skinny little fish are?

Bet that was some fun scootin' around in all that!
Tubesnouts - AKA Puget Sound Sea Horses
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Norris wrote:
Lonestar wrote:

Tubesnouts - AKA Puget Sound Sea Horses
Yes, as I said earlier, probably Tube Snouts. And it's the Bay Pipefish that are related to Sea Horses, not the Tube Snouts.
Georgia

Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

WylerBear wrote: Tubesnouts - AKA Puget Sound Sea Horses

Yes, as I said earlier, probably Tube Snouts. And it's the Bay Pipefish that are related to Sea Horses, not the Tube Snouts.
And you won't see pipefish swimming around. Like their cousins they like to hang out in the grass and pretend that they are a blade of grass. If you look at a close up of a tubesnout you will see the look like a dart
Lonestar
Compulsive Diver

Post by Lonestar »

This guy is a .........?
Attachments
cuttlefish.jpg
Tim McClung

Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Stubby Squid
Lonestar
Compulsive Diver

Post by Lonestar »

Thanks! Corrections made
Tim McClung

BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Vis @ Three Tree N. Thursday 5/5/11 Went bad compared to last week. Above 50 feet it was like 10 foot or less with all of the "Clam Stuff" being thrown up all over the place. Yuck!
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

gutholmj wrote:It's so funny how 15-20' can be called crap in one frame of mind and fantastic in another. Wait until it's less that 6' again and you'll be pining for the days of 15-20.
Kinda hard to scooter in 6 feet of vis ... :neener: just saying
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

Three Tree North, 5/7/11, 15+ ft
Jenn
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

H20doctor wrote:
gutholmj wrote:It's so funny how 15-20' can be called crap in one frame of mind and fantastic in another. Wait until it's less that 6' again and you'll be pining for the days of 15-20.
Kinda hard to scooter in 6 feet of vis ... :neener: just saying
Use the Force, young Jedi.
"Well as much as this pains me I am gonna have to pull out" - pogiguy05
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Yeah it's amazing how a single scooter at Three Tree, can silt out a perfectly good dive site. :neener:

Actually I just wish I had a scooter too!

Wait, "If I wish in one hand and ???? in the other...

Awe, #-o never mind, get that scooter crack away from me before I have to come up with a good "I need it..." excuse! :pirate:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

scootercrack... Om nom nom....

Vis in Lk Crescent was fantastic up shallow... around 100' there was a weird inversion layer... got better again >150.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
FlyinV
Dive-aholic

Post by FlyinV »

Netarts Bay - May 8th
10 feet at low tide
Jeff V
Octo Buddy Dive Tours - www.octobuddy.com
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Cove 2 this morning, much improved! A good 15 feet in the shallows, although still kind of junky. Lots of sea lettuce coming up.