Viz Reports Thread

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: Viz Reports Thread

Post by LCF »

Viz in Pet Cemetery cenote today was 100+ . . . just sayin'.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Lonestar
Compulsive Diver

Post by Lonestar »

Redondo was about 5 again last night. Lots of life though, GPO, Red Octo, Lumpsucker, Granny's Urn, Sailfin Sculpin, breeding Squid, breeding crab (biggest crab I have ever seen), Eelpouts, Stubby Squid, shrimps, and a Rat Fish.
Tim McClung

22nd Annual Scott Firefighter Stair Climb, support it: http://www.llswa.org/site/TR/Events/Big ... fr_id=1280
DecidedlyOdd
Aquaphile

Post by DecidedlyOdd »

I went to Redondo this afternoon for a couple of dives on an incoming tide. At about 20ft there appeared to be a halocline separating really muddy water (less that 5ft vis) from substantially clearer water below (+/- 15ft of vis). Sure beats the truly terrible night dive we did at Cove 2 on Friday where you couldn't even see a jackstraw piling until you were about to crash into it.
Mateo1147
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Mateo1147 »

Today saw a good 20 feet of vis at both dinner rock and long island wall. Thanks for another great dive Lujacks Quest!
You breath like a girl! -Blaiz
I thought she was right until I dove with eliseaboo!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Redondo this AM was 5 to 8 feet down to about 50 fsw ... at which point it opened up to maybe 10-12.

Cove 2 this afternoon was basically chocolate ... I cancelled my afternoon class dive due to poor visibility ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

EUP at 8:45 tonight was murky. Maybe 5 feet.
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
DecidedlyOdd
Aquaphile

Post by DecidedlyOdd »

Redondo this morning was pretty awful (about 3ft of vis) down to about 50ft. Below that it opened up to probably a little less than 10ft. With that, the deep line was definitely diveable but we gave up on the shallow line after putting up with the mud for a couple minutes.
fnerg
Dive-aholic

Post by fnerg »

Cove 2, sunday 5 feet down to about 50-60 feet, after that, black as night, but maybe 15 feet of visibility.

Is there something wrong with me that I actually really enjoyed navigating around at 100 feet with just a flashlight and a compass?

It was also really cool seeing all the YOY rockfish swimming around before the 3-4 ling cod in the area gulped them all down.

BTW, thanks to Tom for making it a fun dive!
PapaZ
Compulsive Diver

Post by PapaZ »

Tuesday night, June 7th,

Hood Canal - near Yellow House,

Nice dive, used 2500 air in 50 minutes, nothing unique, water temp at depth about 50 degrees,
Viz: maybe 3-4 feet. Blah! :angry:

PapaZ
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

Cove2 about 22 hours ago: viz up to about 8 feet!!!!! :D :D :D
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

I woulda said 10-15 on the high tide ;)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

ljjames wrote:I woulda said 10-15 on the high tide ;)
...and where would that be? :)
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Tom Nic wrote:
ljjames wrote:I woulda said 10-15 on the high tide ;)
...and where would that be? :)
If I had to guess...um maybe Cove 2?

It's Thursday and their group dives at Cove 2 every Wednesday. Just a guess though
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

my bad, I was following up on dennis's post :) yes, cove 2 <grin>
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

At any rate... on the up (ish)
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Despite all the doom and gloom I had heard, viz tonight at Cove 2 wasn't really bad at all. Below 30 feet, we had probably 15 feet of viz in most places. SOMETHING had been along the I-beams, and the downhill side was clear, but the uphill side was darned near zero viz. It could have been divers, but the rockfish there were really skittish, so I wonder if it was seals or sea lions who had been there.

Above 30 feet, it closed in quite a bit.

Zillions of water jellies, and krill.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

Yes, it's definitely getting better. Go jellies!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Truly schizophrenic viz at Flagpole today! Below about 70 feet, it was a nice 20 to 25, and dark. 70 to 30, it was crud -- maybe 10 feet of heavy particulates. Above 30 feet, it was jaw-dropping -- tropical quality clear, blue water. Ever snorkeled in Puget Sound before? I surface swam and watched my husband taking photographs of a lion's mane in 15 feet of water (he had dropped from the surface when we saw it, and I couldn't follow him because my right ear wouldn't clear). Looked like Maui with metridiums.
fnerg
Dive-aholic

Post by fnerg »

Saltwater state park: 10 feet down to 60fsw, then an amazing 10-15 as long as you can look past the floating crud.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

LCF wrote:Truly schizophrenic viz at Flagpole today! Below about 70 feet, it was a nice 20 to 25, and dark. 70 to 30, it was crud -- maybe 10 feet of heavy particulates. Above 30 feet, it was jaw-dropping -- tropical quality clear, blue water. Ever snorkeled in Puget Sound before? I surface swam and watched my husband taking photographs of a lion's mane in 15 feet of water (he had dropped from the surface when we saw it, and I couldn't follow him because my right ear wouldn't clear). Looked like Maui with metridiums.
Should also mention that there were a TON of lion's mane jellies in the water ... I got nailed ... twice ... scooters and a lion's mane infestation is a bad combination ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Grateful Diver wrote: Should also mention that there were a TON of lion's mane jellies in the water ... I got nailed ... twice ... scooters and a lion's mane infestation is a bad combination ...
Now we know how Bob got his profile avatar.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

Viz in Lake Washington is still good. Found the bottom of the Leschi Wall last night and I'd say it could have been 20-25 ft. Dropping down the buoy chain was about 15 maybe 20 ft. Makes it easy not to crater into the bottom and the dive wasn't the usual haunted house type experience!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Redondo tonight was quite pleasant -- probably 20 - 25 at depth. Lots of fresh water on the top and a lot of wind-driven waves and some surge, so the top 30 feet or so wasn't very clear.
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

Cove 2 last night was much better than weeks past -- approx 20 ft below 20 fsw.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Good to hear it is improving....hoping it will continue or at least stay the same for this weekend, fathers day. Father wants to dive! :partydance: