Viz Reports Thread

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Re: Viz Reports Thread

Post by mz53480 »

9/1/11, Hoodsport, 8pm
Craptastic down to about 50fsw, then opened up nicely to a respectable 10ft viz.
:supz:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
BondDiver
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by BondDiver »

Lake Merwin at Speliya (sp?) Bay/Aug 28

Surface vis to 20 feet was fantastic. Great natural light penetration, etc. Hard core thermacline at 7m (23') of about 12 degrees from 70 surface to 58 below. Vis reduced to <5' down to 30 feet below surface, then opened up slightly to 15'.

Very curious fish under docks of boat launch. Go lay on the rocks and hold your breath - they come right up and nibble at your mask and fingers.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Three Tree North yesterday was a gorgeous 30-35 feet from the surface clear down to 75 fsw (as deep as we went).
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Anyone know the answer to these:

1. Why is our water green but tropical water blue? What is it that is giving our water a green look that isn't present in the tropics?

2. Right now there are tons of some sort of particulates in the water about the size and shape of a pin. The head of the pin is usually pointing at the sea floor while the top of the pin points up and away from the floor. Looks like (sorry) pieces of pin-like snot or something. What in the world is all of that??
Lonestar
Compulsive Diver

Post by Lonestar »

Redondo last night was great viz. Tonight was poor down to 30 fsw then opened up nicely to about 15-20.
Tim McClung

22nd Annual Scott Firefighter Stair Climb, support it: http://www.llswa.org/site/TR/Events/Big ... fr_id=1280
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

Jeremy wrote:Anyone know the answer to these:

1. Why is our water green but tropical water blue? What is it that is giving our water a green look that isn't present in the tropics?

2. Right now there are tons of some sort of particulates in the water about the size and shape of a pin. The head of the pin is usually pointing at the sea floor while the top of the pin points up and away from the floor. Looks like (sorry) pieces of pin-like snot or something. What in the world is all of that??
There is some good information here http://www.waterencyclopedia.com/La-Mi/ ... Ocean.html
Check this link for fun http://daac.gsfc.nasa.gov/oceancolor/
It seems that colors are absorbed by water depending on how deep the water is. Red is absorbed first, blue last. How deep light penetrates, due to particulates and such is what determines how the water looks. Clear water looks blue, our water is green, we have seen brown, I ain't divin' in no red water.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
Lonestar
Compulsive Diver

Post by Lonestar »

Redondo tonight <10 :(
Tim McClung

22nd Annual Scott Firefighter Stair Climb, support it: http://www.llswa.org/site/TR/Events/Big ... fr_id=1280
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Port Townsend yesterday and today the viz has finally cleared! 30' with lots of ambient light. Still allot of particles floating by but nice emerald green with lots of critters.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Dusty2 wrote:Port Townsend yesterday and today the viz has finally cleared! 30' with lots of ambient light. Still allot of particles floating by but nice emerald green with lots of critters.

Ahhhhh!!!!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Redondo - 25' where classes weren't. Not half bad, actually.
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Tuwanek - Sechelt, British Columbia, 80-100' once you drop below 30 fsw and the halocline.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Tom Nic wrote:Tuwanek - Sechelt, British Columbia, 80-100' once you drop below 30 fsw and the halocline.
:neener:
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Dusty2 wrote:
Tom Nic wrote:Tuwanek - Sechelt, British Columbia, 80-100' once you drop below 30 fsw and the halocline.
Hey, don't be bitter! Jump in your truck and head north. No big resort fees necessary!

Oh, and your light is performing wonderfully! I like it more every dive.
Lonestar
Compulsive Diver

Post by Lonestar »

Redondo 9-29 pm, decent viz (15ish) on the ebbing tide. Good enough to see a fair number o' shark hunters!
Tim McClung

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Mermaid Cove, Powell River, 60' plus.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Tom Nic wrote:Mermaid Cove, Powell River, 60' plus.
How about a few pics, Tom?
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Tom Nic wrote:
Dusty2 wrote:
Hey, don't be bitter! Jump in your truck and head north. No big resort fees necessary!

Oh, and your light is performing wonderfully! I like it more every dive.
I can't. The wife is in California so I'm stuck at home puppy sitting :angry:

Glad the light is doing well in that awful viz your sufferen with up there.

Hope you can make it up to PT this trip.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

cardiver wrote:
Yeah! What he said! :smt064
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

BASSMAN wrote:
cardiver wrote:
Yeah! What he said! :smt064
Some pics are on my FB page - you might have missed them with the "new and improved" FB. Internet here is spotty.

Visibility on the wreck of the Malahat here in Powell River BC was 50' on the first dive and 30' on the second dive.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Gorgeous shots. There are some prize winners in there. Tom, keep them comming
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

Lake Washington was really nice at close to 20ft viz over at Leschi/Madrona. I was able to descend the can buoy without hitting the bottom (could see it coming!) and was startled by the rocks off in the distance.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Okeover Breakwater, 50-60', Powell River, BC (almost as far north as you can go here, turning inland just before Lund).
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

Keystone yesterday 20-25' at times... Great way to spend dive #100!!!!! And to top it off, a big pod of Orca cruised by out in the rip...
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

Novice
Dive-aholic

Post by Novice »

EUP on Saturday viz was pretty good. Probably 20-25 feet. Lots of current kicked up some goo in the shallows.
Benoit
Aquaphile

Post by Benoit »

TTN tonight was quite good - 25-30', although it was getting ~20 toward the end of the dive.
- Benoit.