Viz Reports Thread

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: Viz Reports Thread

Post by LCF »

FANTASTIC viz at Redondo today! At LEAST 30 feet, maybe even a bit more. Some whale snot in the water, but it didn't interfere with the viz as much as the dozens and dozens of moon jellies did :)
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Viz Reports Thread

Post by Jeremy »

Crap viz at Edmunds today, maybe 5 feet.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Salt Water State Park. Above 40, 15-20 if not abit more. Really clear!

Below abit murkier, but still 15ft easy.

Made nice diving.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

The algae bloom is back -- viz at C2 last night was poo above 25 feet (I mean poo -- hovering maybe two feet off the bottom, the bottom was all blurry). Below that, to about 90, it was a delicious 15 or so . . .
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Hudson Point in Port Townsend viz was horrible yesterday. Wonderful, critter filled dives, 5' viz. Four person buddy teams - not the best idea, though we did pull it off.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Day Island Wall on this afternoon's slack - jaw dropping awesome. 25' putting our fins on and 30-40' on the wall. Best dive here ever, and I've had some good ones! Perhaps Bassman or Bucknaked will do a dive report.
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

Post by Rockfish »

Mukilteo Oil Dock yesterday 12 PM 5 feet and that is being generous below 30 feet it was like a night dive :(
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

I wonder why the viz at Mukilteo and Edmonds has been so bad compared to the south sound lately.
?
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

Post by Rockfish »

Lots of snow melt lately with the warm temps. The Snohomish is running high and we are having a late plankton bloom.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Rockfish wrote:Mukilteo Oil Dock yesterday 12 PM 5 feet and that is being generous below 30 feet it was like a night dive :(
Yeah, Pauli and I were over at the lighthouse park in the afternoon. We had varying vis from ~5-10 to pretty much braille.

**Note** When the vis goes to 0 it's best to take the CUDA out of gear 8. Otherwise you may tow your dive buddy into the bottom with out realizing it, followed by a nice sawtooth profile between 15 and 30. This is no fun in drysuits. I think pauli looked like the michellin man when we hit 15fsw......
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Nwbrewer wrote:...**Note** When the vis goes to 0 it's best to take the CUDA out of gear 8. Otherwise you may tow your dive buddy into the bottom with out realizing it, followed by a nice sawtooth profile between 15 and 30. This is no fun in drysuits. I think pauli looked like the michellin man when we hit 15fsw......
:rofl:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Norrander's reef was 20-25', tons of life, very nice! My first dives on the site.
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

Sitka harbor 25-30ft...
Attachments
IMG_6535.JPG
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Finding things under water....
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Major plankton die-off at the 'Dond today. When I got there this morning at 8:30 there was just the slightest wisp of floating plankton on the surface. At depth it was beginning to clump up into chunks the size of large snowflakes, and at 20-30 feet it was quite thick. By noon there was a noticeable reddish-brown sheen on the surface and those clumps below were noticeably larger and beginning to elongate. At 6 PM when I went back down for my fun dive the surface looked like someone had dumped buckets of red-brown paint in the water ... it was, literally, opaque goop for about six inches to a foot. Below that it cleared up rather nicely. What plankton remained below was in snot-strings several inches long, and below about 60 feet it was basically clear.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

Grateful Diver wrote:Major plankton die-off at the 'Dond today. When I got there this morning at 8:30 there was just the slightest wisp of floating plankton on the surface. At depth it was beginning to clump up into chunks the size of large snowflakes, and at 20-30 feet it was quite thick. By noon there was a noticeable reddish-brown sheen on the surface and those clumps below were noticeably larger and beginning to elongate. At 6 PM when I went back down for my fun dive the surface looked like someone had dumped buckets of red-brown paint in the water ... it was, literally, opaque goop for about six inches to a foot. Below that it cleared up rather nicely. What plankton remained below was in snot-strings several inches long, and below about 60 feet it was basically clear.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yuk......I say.
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Hoodsport: 7-15-12
schmutzy down to about 30fsw, then 'cleared' to ~10-15ft viz below that.
!!!J E L L Y F I S H!!!
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

Sitka harbor 25-30ft.....
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
mkmc
Avid Diver

Post by mkmc »

Edmonds this evening was at least 40 feet if not more, really spectacular.
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Cove II was great tonight. Viz. was greater than 30' from the surface to 80fsw and there wasn't a huge amount of particulate matter in the water either. Somehow despite the improved viz. the egg yolk jellies are still running into the Jack straw pilings.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Novice
Dive-aholic

Post by Novice »

35 feet at Muk. Come get some.
DecidedlyOdd
Aquaphile

Re: RE: Viz Reports Thread

Post by DecidedlyOdd »

I was at Redondo around 7:30 for Dive Around the Clock. Awful vis (like 2 feet) down to about 20fsw or so, then it immediately opened up to great vis--probably 30ft. It was pretty dark though with all the muck from the thunderstorms floating on top.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

30ft of vis and below 40' there was like 50ft :joshsmith: :rawlings: :tomnic:
Attachments
IMG_9009.JPG
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Muk T-Dock at 1630 , viz at least 20 fsw from 50 fsw and deeper.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by lundysd »

Cove 2 was a milky 20 last night -- not bad, but not earth-shattering by any means
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

EUP at 1930 from the third yellow buoy (Jetty Way) and further north was at least 25 fsw. Awesome dive.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?