Viz Reports Thread

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Goodt_godiving
Aquaphile

Re: Viz Reports Thread

Post by Goodt_godiving »

8/18 AM dive at Cove 2: Viz was really poor in the shallows 5 fsw at best. At depth over 45 fsw it cleared a bit to around 10+ so not too bad but not stellar by any stretch. Saw a few nice nudi's and several very large egg yolk jellies with very long tentacles.
ohopdiver
Aquaphile

Post by ohopdiver »

10 to 20 ft vis but dark at Boeing Creek and 4 Mile Rock Barges today. It depended on where you were at Boeing Creek and how bright your light a 4 Mile Rock.
Radeked
Getting To Know Folks

Post by Radeked »

Saturday aug 17 sund rock pm vis 15' 0-15, 10' 15-35, 20+below 35'
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Yesterday at Saltwater, I KNOW we had 40 feet of viz, because we were measuring the length of the concrete beams, and they're 40 feet. With my buddy at one end and me at the other, I could clearly see his light, and see an outline of his body. (The top 10 feet were something else, however!)
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

Yesterday at KVI Tower and Maury Is barges: Vis was about 6' from the surface down to 30'. Then opened up to about 15' and gradually improved to 20' or more by the time we reached 75' depth. Vis at depth was strictly due to our lights.
Novice
Dive-aholic

Post by Novice »

EUP at high tide 8/21 started out at 10-15 but changed with the tide to 5 ft maybe. Yuk.
ohopdiver
Aquaphile

Post by ohopdiver »

EUP: 8-10 ft VIS at 5 pm at Cathedrals and Lopez. New concrete pillar on top of Lopez pontoon.
No wind or current.
McGlencoe
Dive-aholic

Post by McGlencoe »

Redondo- Thurs. 8-22-13

5' viz for the first 25' or so and then opened up to about 10-15' as we got out to 85' at the carousel horse on the deep line.
olalladiver
Aquaphile

Post by olalladiver »

Any reports from Hood/Sund? going there tomorrow am.
jeffgerritsen
Dive-aholic

Post by jeffgerritsen »

Dove flagpole today. Didn't know for sure until last day if dive was a go. Viz was 10-20 on ebb. On flood viz dropped to 3-7 at best.

Humping gear up the hill really sucks. Otherwise good dive. Rebreather, scooter, two al80's for BO, etc. Cars wouldn't make it back up the loaded. Had to unload and get a running start, even then just barely made it up the hill.

olalladiver wrote:Any reports from Hood/Sund? going there tomorrow am.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

nothing like humping 300 pounds of gear up a 4wd road :)
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

Post by seattlepaul1975 »

Cove 2 today was around 20ft. Was able to look up at 20ft and see buoy and sunlight.
MikeMeagher
Dive-aholic

Post by MikeMeagher »

Redondo, Friday night, 8/23, 8pm
Shallow vis was 3', at the boat at 85' the vis was 10' perhaps.
Could barely make out another dive light at15' away.
olalladiver
Aquaphile

Post by olalladiver »

Sund Rock Sat 8/25/2013 -- Vis in the first (warm) 30 feet was pretty poor -- 5 ft ish... but below that depth there was a sharp thermocline and it increasingly opened up... Didn't get below about 65 fsw or so but at that quite tolerable oh 30 ft or so.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Day Island Wall & Titlow were 10-20' depending on the vagaries of the current, better in the shallows.

The water is still pretty warm - 57 by my computer (which runs a few degrees warm).
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
McGlencoe
Dive-aholic

Post by McGlencoe »

Day Island Wall, evening splash 25' <>
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

McGlencoe wrote:Day Island Wall, evening splash 25' <>
You had much better viz than we did. Perhaps tomorrow evening it will be good as well!
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Jeremy Axworthy
Just Settling In

Post by Jeremy Axworthy »

8/27 Salt Creek: 20-25 ft
8/28 Sekiu: 20-25 ft
Also really calm...
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Hudson Pt. Was a hazy 10' with the usual tons of life.
isac777
Frequent Bubbler

Post by isac777 »

8/29 tdock at around 6:15 pm. Yes after torrential downpour. We went and took a looksie before gearing up and found this beautiful storm water line is guess say 12" just dumping a nice brown cloud into the dive area. We then talked to some fellow divers who musta just caught the tail end of it and said it was nicer deeper. My dive buddy said lets do it and me being a somewhat novice said "im down" and i thought to myself how bad can BAD vis really be...cant be that bad? Right?

WRONG!

We picked a heading and went down to around 20'. It literally blew me away, could not even see my depth gauge at like 3". That god i had a light as i would lose my buddy who had a can light if he was more than 2' away. It was disorienting and very weird not being able to see the bottom. Nonetheless we called the dive and practiced some skills which was a nice refresher. I find it hard to believe being in the waste water industry that this junk is not treated first . Anyway it was a good experience seeing actually how shitty it can be.

Prob shoulda dive the oil dock instead but i had a good time anyway.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Diamond Knot - 40 ft
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Day I.sland Wall 10-20'. Pt. Hudson 8 - 10
McGlencoe
Dive-aholic

Post by McGlencoe »

8-29 Owen Beach, 7:15 evening splash, hazy 10'-12'

A couple octos, but no 6 gills.
RVbldr
Aquaphile

Post by RVbldr »

8/31: Three Tree, 3:30 PM, going on high tide. 4-5' in the shallows, then below 20' opening up to 20-25 down to 75'.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Other than Pt. Hudson, water temps have been uniformly high for this time of year. Still hoping for that late Summer / early Fall viz. I'm guessing that the amazing Summer we've had topside will either delay that "typical" viz or obliterate it until Winter.