Viz Reports Thread

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: Viz Reports Thread

Post by LCF »

Edmonds -- showed up at 8 am this morning to get reports from divers leaving that the "viz sucks". We did three dives -- one with entry about 9:30, one between an hour and an hour and a half later, and one entering about 1 pm. Viz for the first was at least 15 feet and it was better for the second dive, maybe 20 - 25. A little lower for the last dive, but overall, quite nice, and well worth diving. TONS of jellies in the shallow water!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

6/7/14 Wreck of the Dawn - Lake Washington
25ft of Vis with a bit of ambient light on the wreck at 110ft

Lake diving is really good right now!
Goodt_godiving
Aquaphile

Post by Goodt_godiving »

Friday 6/6 Nanaimo Madrona Pt and Tyee viz was craptastic in the first 20 then cleared a bit up to may 25-30+ under 45 fsw
Sat 6/7 Victoria 10 mile crappy again and very strong halo Cline
Sun 6/8 Victoria Willis Pt saw the die off on top layer and viz great under 20 fsw at 35+ fsw
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

6/11 4 Mile Barges - about 3ft of vis from the surface to about 25 feet, then opening up to a craptastic 10-12 ft on the wreck.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

6/12 TTN this morning, VERY low tide, lots of current, 3' viz in the shallows, maybe 10' at depth.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

6/18 Redondo, terrible in the shallows, a hazy 15' or so at depth.
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

6/22 Wreck of the Valiant - Lake Washington
After I got out of the cloud of silt that I created when I dirt darted into the bottom of Lake Washington - The vis was really good! Probably about 18 - 20 ft. At 115 ft of depth we still had enough ambient light to make out rough shapes in the distance.
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

6/24 Shangri-La and China Wall
5ft of vis from 0-40 ft opening up to about 10 - 12ft from 40 - 100 :huge:

Quick heads up for boat divers - There's a mooring on both China Wall and Shangri-la right now. It looks like they did a good job putting them in with 1/2in line and both are secured to concrete blocks

This was my first dive at Shangri-la - What an incredible dive site! Tons of color, tiny strawberry anemones cover the rocks and we saw 10+ octos (including one on eggs) and 5 or so wolf eels.

PS - More divers need to start posting in this vis report thread - Even if you're just diving Cove 2 it helps others that are planning dives.
jpa
Frequent Bubbler

Post by jpa »

That is great about the bouys. I'll need to get out there before they go away again. Anchoring isn't that difficult but I'm a lazy wuss and would rather grab a buoy.

I tell whoever asks that Shangri-La is my favorite Puget Sound dive site. I got my fins yanked from behind by an octo there once and it's been my favorite ever since.

John-Paul
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

jpa wrote:That is great about the bouys. I'll need to get out there before they go away again. Anchoring isn't that difficult but I'm a lazy wuss and would rather grab a buoy.

I tell whoever asks that Shangri-La is my favorite Puget Sound dive site. I got my fins yanked from behind by an octo there once and it's been my favorite ever since.

John-Paul
I agree - It's almost like a combination of the best of the San Juans and the Puget Sound; Lot's of color and invertebrates plus the octo's and wolf eels. It's been awhile since I've been surprised by a new Puget Sound dive site and this one surprised me.
Goodt_godiving
Aquaphile

Post by Goodt_godiving »

6/25/14 Muk T-Dock - Viz was crap till under 25 fsw then opened up VERY nicely to about 25-30 fsw under 40. Great dive!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

6/25 Cove 2. Pretty murky in the top 20 feet (but ridiculously warm -- my computer said 61 degrees!). Via opened up quite nicely below that, at least 15 feet. Lots of nudis out and about!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

6/26. Viz TTN 10'plus below 50 fsw. Above 50 fsw less. Much less.

Viz at Redondo? Well... uhm... let me put it this way. Filling out my log I was torn between marking viz: none. Or viz: NA

Great dives, however!
bm5w
Frequent Bubbler

Post by bm5w »

Cove 2, 7p, high tide, vis at least 15 feet in the shallows and at depth. Lots of big particulate in the water.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Cove 2, starting at 10 am and going until 5 pm. Hazy water with about 10 feet of via down to 50+ in the morning. Water cleared somewhat with the flood, and there was a lot of whale snot in the water. Hoping this augurs for clearer water coming up!
SealScott
Frequent Bubbler

Mukilteo "T-dock" - June 28 - afternoon flood

Post by SealScott »

Let's just say, we paid homage to our can lights! Without them, there would have been a lot of inappropriate touching in order to keep the team together ;-)

0-44' depth 3 - 5' viz
45-95' depth 5' - 7' viz
95'+ depth 10 - 15' viz
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Redondo, about 9:30 am today . . . Despite horrible reports from yesterday, viz was actually quite nice. I'd say at least 15 feet with whale snot. Lots of octos!
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

6/29 Hood Canal
Sponge Hill - 5ft of schmutz between 0 and 30 ft opening up to 60ft once we got to depth :partydance:

Flagpole - Again, the same schmutz layer opening up to about 40-50 ft once we got onto the reef.
Goodt_godiving
Aquaphile

Post by Goodt_godiving »

3 tree N 6/30 6 PM viz was actually pretty great at a chunky 25+ fsw. Even in the shallows it was 10+ fsw. TONS of spiny's on the brown kelp. I lost count at around 15! If we didn't see at least one on a piece of kelp it was weird. Very tiny guys right now but lots of fun! Go spiny hunting. Will post a trip report about locations etc. Great dive
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

7/1/14 - Higgins Boat, Lake Washington

10 to 12 ft of vis at depth. Lake visability isn't as good as it was a few weeks ago but still decent.

Thanks again Richard for the help!
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

7/6/14
Diamond Knot - Straits of Juan de Fuca

50 ft of vis from zero to 125 ft
johnclark
Aquaphile

Post by johnclark »

EUP was terrible! You could make out blobs of color at maybe 5 feet. In order to make out any detail you needed at least two feet.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

DIW was a solid 15', sometimes 20. Very nice!
Magoi
Dive-aholic

Post by Magoi »

Saltwater State Park was a chunky 5-10 ft all the way to 80 ft.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

Post by Rockfish »

Mukilteo Oil Dock Friday 7/4/14 11 AM

surface to -10 feet about 5 to 10 feet below 10 feet it opened up to 20-30 feet.