Viz Reports Thread

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
orcasc205
Aquaphile

Re: Viz Reports Thread

Post by orcasc205 »

YellowEye wrote:Awful viz at Redondo last night. <2' until 45', then it opened a bit, maybe a hazy 5'
Was a little better midday today at Redondo. Was <5' until 25' then maybe 15' below that. We saw a stubby squid, though (our first), so it was worth descending below the snot.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

YellowEye wrote:Awful viz at Redondo last night. <2' until 45', then it opened a bit, maybe a hazy 5'
:eek: Welcome Spring! :eek:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
RVbldr
Aquaphile

Post by RVbldr »

Cove 2, 5 May, Sunday AM 0900, steep ebb tide. Shallows <45' 4-6', then opened up to about 10-15' all the way down to 120'.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Alki Junkyard 5/30, very plankton-murky in top 30 3-5’, Cleared up to 10-15 at 40-50’. High tide, light ebb. Baby wolfie in residence.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Charles1910
Just Settling In

Post by Charles1910 »

5/31/2019 It was murky at the Mukilteo T dock too. :(
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Alki Junkyard Friday, a bit worse than Thursday, and the just starting ebb downwelling was in fine form, with eelgrass and ulva tumbling down the slope. (When the water piling over the point on it’s way out in makes a fun downwelling at the Junkyard)

Photo from ~55’ on high tide
Attachments
8F25D3D8-82FD-42F1-8E24-B1A749DDCBAD.jpeg
----
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

6/1 Lake Crescent. Nice and clear down down to 60, probably 100ft viz. Down deep a bit more murky in spots, probably 40ft viz at 200ft.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

vis at cove 2 on the i-beams was insanely awesome today... easily 50+ feet. 10-15 in the shallows. A wonderful respite from the pea soup of a week or so ago. ambient light was just dreamy..... Get while the gettin' is good :)

https://youtu.be/i37JC13uIBg
Last edited by ljjames on Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

Probably 30 feet at Day Island Wall today. Might have been more than 30 but there were too many wolfeels to see any further!
Day Island Wall June 23 2019-June 23, 2019-044.JPG
Dave
Sharkb8
Dive-aholic

Post by Sharkb8 »

Whytecliff aka Canadian Cove 2 on Sunday, 6/23/19. Did two dives in the main bay with a newer diver. Vis was 2-3 ft down to 20 fsw, then blossomed to 5 ft for a bit. Big thermocline at 30 fsw, and then it started opening up a bit more into the 10-15 ft range. We didn't get any deeper than 60 ft or very far out but there were reports it was in the 30ft range deeper out and around towards the cut. Ahhhhhh summertime :luv:
Party underwater
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Wow, cool wolfie snap Dave! Interesting to hear of the varying viz.

Deception Pass viz yesterday was awful. There was a west wind blowing thru the pass, stirring up silt and sand and kelp into the channel. Good to know that west wind will likely equal poor viz in the future!

Keystone yesterday was a bit dark but we were diving it on a huge ebb. It was protected from the wind.
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
ohopdiver
Aquaphile

Post by ohopdiver »

Sunday 6/23 viz was about 15 feet at Blakely Harbor Reef and Shilshole Vertical Barge.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Saturday and Sunday 22nd and 23rd .. low tide was epic 30 feet ... high tide was soup .. 10 to 15 feet .. with blowing snow algae bloom
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

vis on the beams (at cove 2) today was EPIC!!!!! Even in the shallows (on the low tide) it was pleasant 10-15. beneath ~35-40' it was breathtaking. it wasn't that winter teal 80' we've seen now and then but its some of the better late spring vis I've seen in years.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-06-25 at 12.16.47 AM 2.jpg
----
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

YellowEye wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:54 pm Deception Pass viz yesterday was awful. There was a west wind blowing thru the pass, stirring up silt and sand and kelp into the channel. Good to know that west wind will likely equal poor viz in the future!
Were conditions as bad as the cancelled dive 4/27/19? Waves were 2'+ by the time we left. Getting out was extremely difficult for a few folks. Easy to get knocked down. Very hard to get back up as the wave period was very short.

Wind + water in the same direction > flattens the water; entry conditions. Doesn't look too bad but it could be bad later, especially if the wind comes up more.
Wind + water opposite direction > much larger waves; exit conditions :eek:
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Can you guys please let me know, are you seeing this Vis reports thread in the right order; is it taking you to the newest vis report at the end of all the past ones, or are you starting at the oldest Tom Nic post? Trying to get this set right. Sorry for the confusion if it's not displaying as intended.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Hi Calvin. Depends on where I click. Clicking the title takes me to the first post. Clicking the red page icon takes me to the last page. Clicking the date takes me to the last post. This is on mobile web.

Viz at deception today: epic
orcasc205
Aquaphile

Post by orcasc205 »

Really murky at Redondo tonight. Visibility was a couple of feet until it opened up at 60 feet — to 5 feet or so.

Still had a good time diving in the bottle field.

-Doug
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Ugh. Spring Vis.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

7/18 high tide @ Three Tree North: Viz was a muddy murky brown 10 feet at depth. In the shallows worse.
7/14 high tide @ Sunrise: Viz was a green 10-15 feet
RVbldr
Aquaphile

Post by RVbldr »

7/27 Cove 2, bottom of ebb tide. Maybe 5-8' viz all the way down to 75', then opened up to maybe 10-15' at the logs. With the overcast, even Honey Bear was a bit on the dark side.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

7/27 Deception pass (scubajess) was 15'
7/25 Redondo high tide was terrible all the way down
Sharkb8
Dive-aholic

Post by Sharkb8 »

Keystone on Friday 7/26 after work was a little dirty but still 15 to 20 ft at depth. The shallows and pilings were very nice with the sun streaming down and schools of fish swimming around. Probably the nicest conditions I've seen out there all year!
Party underwater
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Cove2 NWDC club dive viz was a murky 6-8ish feet I think, but super fun!!!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Star Date 2019072.8
Location: Cove2 NWDC club dive viz was a murky 6-8ish feet I think, but super fun!!! :taco: :partydance: :joshsmith: :eric: :partyman: :taco: :pirate: :smt064 :burntchef: :eric: :luv:
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco: