Weynton Passage, BC

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
whatevah
Aquanaut

Weynton Passage, BC

Post by whatevah »

A couple of weeks ago I went on a trip to the north end of Vancouver Island with a group of my friends. There were three boats and bunch of crazy people. Most were there to fish, but three of us spent the whole time diving. We did some exploring of sites that looked to have potential from our charts, revisited some favorites from the 2007 trip, and also went to some new places as suggested by Steve at Sun Fun Divers in Port McNeill. We took all our cylinders with us and made them last as long as we could, but we did need to get them filled once at the shop in Port McNeill. Steve and Trudy at Sun Fun Divers were great - very helpful and friendly.

The visibility and the variety and density of invertebrate life are what really appeal to me about diving in Telegraph Cove / Weynton Passage area. The worst of the dives was wonderful and the best of them were just impossible to describe - quite magical - drifting along vast walls of plumose anemones, soft corals and hydrocorals on Stubbs Island is something everyone should experience at least once. I did get a brief visit from the gang of Stellar Sea Lion bulls that live on the island but wasn't able to prepare my camera for a photo before they zipped away. Those guys are BIG.

Here are my photos:

http://uwphoto.geckoworks.com/g/telegraph_cove_2008

... and a few videos:

http://www.geckoworks.com/scuba/telegraph_cove_2008/

(warning: the videos are between 2MB and 11MB in size)
Last edited by whatevah on Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Weynton Passage, BC

Post by no excuses »

sweet photos, makes me want to go =D>
mattwave
Amphibian

Re: Weynton Passage, BC

Post by mattwave »

Nice Pics
"Scuba Like You Love It!"
Let's go diving