An Un-dive Report -- Aug 26

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

An Un-dive Report -- Aug 26

Post by Peter Guy »

Well, I "organized" a dive for last night, invited a group of people and even had some "fun things" to do underwater for those who wanted to play.

I had gone diving on Monday and found a crack in my wrist seal ("fixed" with duct tape) but decided I should dive my other drysuit yesterday. So, I got the other suit packed, dry glove rings off my regular suit and everything else packed in the car. BUT, as I was packing, an "escape kitty" scooted out the door and thus I switched from "packing mode" to "get back in the house Kitty, Kitty" mode -- and a successful cat recapture was made. (This was a kitty that has gone on a two-week "walk-about" not too long ago.)

So, car is now packed, I'm late for leaving to the dive site (I'm planning on setting up some UW stuff for the fun things) and off we go.

Amazing -- it's 4:20 p.m., I-405 S-bound is 60+mph (N-bound is stop and go from 520 to past 522) -- so we whiz down 405, over I-90 and get to the Coves in almost record time. SWEET -- I'm almost back on my schedule.

Out come the tanks and set up on the sidewalk -- out come the drysuit -- wait, drysuit? -- NOT drysuits (plural)? Nope. Drysuit -- hmmm, there are two of us in the car, one drysuit in the car, two gear setups, 4 fins, etc. -- SH**!!!

Well, someone had to be shore support I guess.

The "fun things" get placed UW but NOT by me -- many people show up (9 end up diving) -- and I even get wet (it started to rain!).

At least they didn't make me buy dinner for everyone!

Thanks to all who were there -- and especially RJ and Brian for making the job of shore support much more productive.

Note to self -- remember to do the "Did I really pack the car" checklist BEFORE arriving at the dive site!
airsix
I've Got Gills

Re: An Un-dive Report -- Aug 26

Post by airsix »

Peter,
Sorry to hear you got skunked, but I'm sure you earned a lot of karma points for doing something nice for so many others.

That cat on the other hand... [-X
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

The dive gods were looking out for me last night, because Peter and I went to the cove really early, to put in stakes for a line running course, and we got there and realized Peter was suitless. Traffic northbound was such that there was no way he could make it home and back before the scheduled dive, let alone in time to do a setup dive. I was peering into the water, contemplating doing my very first ever solo dive while encumbered with an armload of stakes, an extra 5 lb weight, and a reel, when up rolled my gift from said gods, in the form of Raul Alvarez!

An interesting dive ensued, as I rapidly developed the technique for stake pounding underwater (something which, oddly enough, was never covered in any of my many diving classes . . . ) We got a great course set up, and as it turned out, nobody used it. Instead, Kirk and Raul and I got to polish our team stake removal strategies.

It was actually great fun . . . :-)
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Dammit, and there I was with two drysuits in my closet ten minutes away from Cove 1 . . .
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Well, we're all afraid to call you any more, for fear we'll disturb your domestic tranquility . . .
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

LCF wrote:Well, we're all afraid to call you any more, for fear we'll disturb your domestic tranquility . . .
Very funny Lynne.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.