Coaster ? dive

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Romer Treece
Pelagic

Coaster ? dive

Post by Romer Treece »

Alright, since it may be a while before I get some video up on my site about this dive, I figured I'd post a report first.

This was Sunday the 24th when the usual suspects decided to go for a jaunt on the wreck most believe to be the Coaster. All aboard was, Rob (rjw), Josh (Nailer99), Ron Akeson, Mark Theune, and Kirby (sorry I don't know your last name), and myself, with BJ (Maverick) and Erin (Cuppie) as our safety divers. It was a typical summer morning in Everett, rainy and grey. We all loaded up our gear and headed out to Point No Point. We got out there pretty early and sat in towards shore so we weren't beat up by the white caps. At this point we readied our gear, and waited for slack.

As we approached time for the drop, BJ and Erin went to work trying to grapple the wreck. Snagged right away! I went ahead and helped with the deploying of the deco station, and as we were putting it in, we noticed we drifted off the wreck- :crybaby: . Unsnagged!

As we looked off in the distance, waters were calm, slack was here.

We all came inside and talked about other options, there would be no time for another drop in the window for slack, so we had to bail. We talked about the Al (Al-Ind-Esk-A-Sea), but Kirby on open circuit had the wrong mix for that. Well BJ wasn't finished, he thought he could resnag and deploy the deco station still well within our slack window. He was able to rehook in a matter of minutes! BJ's the man!! :naka:

We decided ah, what the hell, let's try it anyway! So we geared up EXTRA QUICK, and Rob and Myself were ready in minutes. Josh was going to be a part of our team, but called it at the last minute, so he'd be support crew. No worries!! :notworthy:

Rob and I dropped down, and when we got to the bottom at 178 feet, current was nil. We got to our hook, but no wreck in sight. I then noticed it snagged on a cable and yelled to Rob through my loop to follow that. It took us right to the wreck, about 30 feet away. Now this wreck is pretty much a pile of rubble, but to me it was a pretty interesting pile of rubble. HUGE rockfish all over, and I even got a shot of a fairly large decorated warbonnet that was about a foot and a half long!! We found portholes, machinery everywhere, plumbing, and a lot of life. Visibility cleared to a misty 30+ feet, and I didn't want to leave! The rest of the crew made it down and the whole wreck was lit up!!! We all circled the wreck a few times, and Rob and I finally finished our 35 minute bottom time. I really enjoyed this wreck, there was a lot to see, and even more when you get right down into it.

It was time for our long deco, and I think we had a total bottom time of 100 minutes (98 to be exact). EXCELLENT DIVE!!!

We got back on the boat and had some of BJ's VERY VEGAN soup that was just yummy!! Thanks to BJ, and Cuppie for helping!!!

I will put up video soon.
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Re: Coaster ? dive

Post by Maverick »

Any time dudes, and there is more vegan soup and great grapling techniques where that came from. :partyman: No if i could just finf the spell check :evil4:
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Sounds like you made the right decision! I want to see this monster warbonnet . . .
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Still kicking myself for not going in. Had a great dive on the Al the day before, but I was just feeling "off" on Sunday, like I might be coming down with a cold.....that, plus the fact that it looked like we were gonna miss slack, and I was 3rd man, so nobody would have to change teams, I decided to stay on the boat. Then the current went down to nothing for most of their dive, and they came up with huge grins on their faces.....oh, well. It'll be there next time, right?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Nailer99 wrote:Still kicking myself for not going in....oh, well. It'll be there next time, right?
Actually the Wreck relocation monster is planning to move it tomorrow, but i will have the new location for you. . . . Oh here it is :bootyshake:
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
mattwave
Amphibian

Post by mattwave »

Ok, next Saturday we are trying to decide which wreck to dive, Coaster or Black Dragon, I haven't done the Coaster yet, but slack looks so good for the BD. Those who have done both, whatcha think?
"Scuba Like You Love It!"
Let's go diving