Firehole River, Yellowstone Nat'l Park (Wyoming)

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
airsix
I've Got Gills

Firehole River, Yellowstone Nat'l Park (Wyoming)

Post by airsix »

OK, so this is a little different.... I hope you won't mind this 'inland' northwest report. Last week I had a family reunion in Island Park, Idaho. Since we were only a few miles from the West entrance to Yellowstone Park, my brother and I planned ahead and brought our gear. On Saturday morning we stole away, dragging Dad along with us.

This is the Firehole River, Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming. Elevation 8,200ft ASL. The river is fed by many hot springs and geysers as it winds it's way through the cracks and crags on its way to the Madison River. This raises the temperature to mid to high 60's (20 or more degrees higher than nearby bodies of water). This picture was taken from the road looking down on the dive site. This is what they call a Wyoming shore entry. #-o he he he. Actually the trail down to the river isn't that bad. Believe it or not this site actually sees a lot of diver traffic. We met 4 other divers while we were there. Some enter downstream a bit further at the slow/shallow park "swim area" , but some enter above at the area pictured. This is what we chose to do, entering at the narrow point at the base of the rapids. The rapids terminate at the narrowest section in this picture. The white-water extending beyond the narrow section is aerated, but otherwise smooth. Pretty swift though. This picture is looking upstream toward the entry point.

Here's a view looking downstream. Exit point is just beyond the upper-right-hand corner of the frame.

Here's what water looks like coming off a section of rapids. It's strange to have crystal-clear water but 3ft vis because it's so full of bubbles.

Downstream from the rapids the bubbles start to clear and vis improves dramatically. The current, however, was RIPPING! Here's my little Bro, hanging onto the rocks (and a passing trout). Notice all the white streaks going every which way? That's a combination of swirling current, bubbles, and slow shutter. If not for the bubbles the vis was probably 50ft. Current was like a washing-machine! We were flipped and spun multiple times. Jam-and-twist rock-climbing holds were a must to keep from being blown out. If you do this dive be sure you really cinch down that mask strap!

It was fun watching trout swimming in the current. This guy was work'n that tail like it was on fire. We saw large numbers of Cutthroat, Brown, and Rainbow. In all my life this is the closest I've gotten to fresh-water sport fish while diving. It was spectacular!

Brown trout.

A little further downstream we found lots of interesting topography. There were overhangs, bowls, spires, and some spots sheltered from the current. Here's a "bowl of trout".

Here are some spires. This was looking up from 32ft.

One of the great things about this dive is that the roar of the rapids and bubble-saturated water makes the fish very approachable. It's easy to get close to fish in a marine environment, as you all know, but for whatever reason I've never been able to get very close to fresh water fish. Until now.

The further downstream from the rapids the better the visibility got. Here's a trout at about 12ft. near the exit at the park swim area.

I had calculated an altitude-adjusted 35ft no-deco bottom time of 105 minutes. We had the gas to do it, but planned on 60-90min depending on how interesting it was and whether or not we would get blown downstream into the swim area. Unfortunately the dive was terminated due to injury. Because of the warm water Jake decided to dive without a hood. I've never considered a hood "safety equipment" but in this case it would have been. 20 minutes in we were at 30ft and climbing a chute carved into the rock. The current was very strong because the water was being pinched between the sides of the chute. As we were climbing up the chute Jake turned his head. As the side of his head faced into the oncoming rush it perforated his eardrum! :smt119 Who knew. :dontknow: He managed to keep his mask, signaled ear trouble and asked me to lead an ascent. I took him by the arm, got off the rocks, drifted downstream a short distance where the river widened/slowed, and did a normal ascent in the slower/calmer water. He had a lot of pain for about 12 hours, but was pain free 24 hours after the event. Dr. prescribed antibiotics. Now he's just bummed that he can't dive for a few months but otherwise doing fine.

This was a very exciting dive. Kind of like rock-climbing in a hurricane. If you take a trip through Yellowstone it's definitely an interesting and fun thing to do while you're there. A lot of people do this dive, and I've read quite a few reviews. I'm surprised, however, that the reviews are not more cautionary because this dive was pretty intense upstream from the swim area. It was a RIOT though. Up until Jake's injury we were laughing through our regulators the whole time. I know a dive like this probably isn't for everyone, but if you like variety it's definitely different. I wouldn't take a trip just to do this dive, but if you ever find yourself near Old Faithful and happen to have your gear with you... :supz:

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Re: Firehole River, Yellowstone Nat'l Park (Wyoming)

Post by dwashbur »

Cool. I have a standing invitation from a friend in Montana to dive Yellowstone Lake if I get over that way, but I never knew people could dive some of the rivers there. Thanks for the report!
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Madness I tell you! Shear Madness.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Ben, that was one of the more unique dive reports we've ever had here. You are a hard-core diver. Sorry to hear about your bro's eardrum, and I'm curious to see what you're gonna pull off next!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Awsome report! =D>
It was a nice addition to the varity of dives we read about here!
Thanks ben!

Keith :smt035
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

airsix wrote:

"Look at my fancy new hat!"

Excellent report Ben, and such an exciting dive! I would love to see those rock formations. I hope your brother heals quickly too.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

OH MY GOODNESS!! That was amazing! :notworthy:

I LOVE Yellowstone and that's one of my favorite stretches of river, but I had never even remotely considered the possibility of diving there. I'm still not sure that's something I'll try, but I sure enjoyed the report!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Penopolypants wrote:
"Look at my fancy new hat!"
And just for the record, he's giving a "hang loose" in that picture, not thumbing the dive. I promise not to sit there taking pictures while my buddy/team is giving a command signal. [-X

Thanks for the comments, Everybody. I was a little hesitant to post the report since it was a little bit removed from our Puget Sound home-base. Glad you found it interesting.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

you crazy desert dweller will dive anything, won't you?!?!

great report, ben. sounds like a blast, and i hope your bro heals well. :supz:
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

How the heck did you climb down into that river...? and how many times did you stumble
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Diver Doug
Aquaphile

Post by Diver Doug »

Giant stride, right? :supz:
If only I had Gills
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Actually the entry isn't as bad as you'd think. You get down this way.

And since this is a Yellowstone report here is the obligatory bison photo.

Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Lookit all that Bull Snot!!!
mattwave
Amphibian

Post by mattwave »

Good Show Ben!!
Hey did you run into Paul Brock owner of Yellowstone Divers?
"Scuba Like You Love It!"
Let's go diving
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

mattwave wrote:Good Show Ben!!
Hey did you run into Paul Brock owner of Yellowstone Divers?
Thanks, Matt! I'm glad to get these positive responses. I was worried this report might not be so well received.
I haven't met Paul or been to his shop (East of the park. I came in from the West). I've been to his website though when I was looking for info about diving the Firehole. I noticed he had a link to your website and thought that was cool.

-Ben
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by smike »

I went to Yellowstone last year, before cert, and I swam in the river - ITCHING to dive it. I understand that the hot springs actually are in the bottom of the rapids, maybe 10 - 15' upstream of the entry point. I swam starting into the entry point, didn't have a mask, so all I could do is dive in and drift into the swimming area. The water was just the right temperature, and it would be tempting to go without a hood (but not anymore..). If I had the chance, I would DEFINITELY dive this. I would go as close to noon as I could so that the sun would be shining straight into the depths, I was there an hour before sundown and it was pretty dark in the whole valley, there is a large hill along the river's west side.

Thanks for the inspiring report.

S'Mike
Behold, the King reigns! You are his publicity agents. Therefore advertise, advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

What a great report! I can't believe how brave you guys are! I've been telling myself that one of these days, I really ought to go dive in the Columbia, just to do it, but that's nothing like this. What an unusual and fun thing to share with us!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

LCF wrote:What a great report! I can't believe how brave you guys are! I've been telling myself that one of these days, I really ought to go dive in the Columbia, just to do it, but that's nothing like this. What an unusual and fun thing to share with us!
Which part of the Columbia?

There's a river (Gold River?) that you can snorkel up by Comox BC when the pinks, chum, and cohos are running in the late summer/fall. I've been thinking about doing that next year.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by smike »

When would be the "right" time to dive the Columbia? I would like to plan that dive.

S'Mike
Behold, the King reigns! You are his publicity agents. Therefore advertise, advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

smike wrote:When would be the "right" time to dive the Columbia? I would like to plan that dive.

S'Mike
Where are you wanting to dive? Its a pretty big river and in many places its basically a lake. In fact a tributary (the Snake) starts in Yellowstone.
Generally...
March-June would be bad (flow and in places turbidity very high)
August until October would be ideal, flow low and warmest waters.
Winter a mixed bag depending on location.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.