Someone Has to know about this ????

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Someone Has to know about this ????

Post by H20doctor »

I have been diving Mukilteo eversince i got cert back in 2001. I have prob logged over 130 dives there since i started diving... But today i found something I have never seen before, and one of you divers know about it and actually set this thing up.... Me and Joe dove the muk today, Joe wanted to dive the Troll, I said another time, so we agreed to walk south a little and jump in there... we got in at the end of the hotel , but out of reach of the fishing dock and casting distance. We dropped down and slowly made our way to the depths of 105 feet... I spotted something white and up in the air down deeper in front of me about 20 feet away.... as i got closer to it it turned out to be an Old satellite Dish from the 80's .... it was cool and unbelievable that i have never seen this thing.... But the next thing i saw was something to be hold look below

can you amagine !!! were at a 120 feet and here is this dude and i am thinking is this a real dead body??? COME ON .... it was funny as hell after I and joe realized it was a dummy... he was wearing a trench coat, a tie, and a black hat... siting on a concrete block... So who knows about this ??? and who put it down there????
Last edited by H20doctor on Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Re: Someone Has to know about this ????

Post by scottsax »

I'm so glad you got a picture of it. There's no way I would EVER believe it....

Nordstrom mafia hit? "We heard you were working for Macy's... Now you're gonna sleep with the fishes, see?"
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

theirs a few of those around. off Alki their is a skeleton in foul weather fishing gear with a weighed line tied to it. it showed up about the same time some fishing boats were anchored off their and one hooked the I beams with its anchor.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

scottsax wrote: Nordstrom mafia hit? "We heard you were working for Macy's... Now you're gonna sleep with the fishes, see?"
:laughing3:

My sister's boyfriend used to have a mannequin named Steve. (His friend Tim had a mannequin named Marcia, which they "borrowed" at the same time, but that is another long story...). My sisters' boyfriend and my boyfriend at the time were friends as well. Eventually my sister's boyfriend moved out of his apartment (which was in the same building that my guy lived in). Since he had a key to my boyfriend's apartment, he left Steve in my boyfriend's bed one day while he was at work. A little "goodbye present", so to speak.

That was quite a nasty shock. :)
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

well here is the video from this dive.... you will hear me say at 120 feet " what the hell is that "
and " you got to be kidding me..... what the hell is that ?? ... I have No Idea ? " ... then back to the dish and I say " hello Joe " its pretty funny...
I bet jason Merrill " diver down knows who put this guy down there ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jALY6wQtjlc
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

First Ive heard about it Chris, to be honest I think id be scared sh** less if I ran into it at 105 fsw and half narced! Last thing I want to come across while divng is a dead body... :smt119
Who run barter town?
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Great Video! That is AWSOME! I agree I would probably need new undergarments after that.....but what a cool find after you figured out it wasn't real. Looks like it's pretty new, no signs of life on him.
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

That ain't cool!

I totally have "dead body phobia" while diving.

Not cool.

Nope.

Nuh uh.

Bad.

Very bad.
Jenn
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

that. is. CREEPY. :pale:

glad you found him first. i'd still be cleaning my undergarment...
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Nice! It appears as if they were even able to work on some skills there towards the end too! "UH OH!" :smt119
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

That would definitely be creepy to find in narc'ed in the dark.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

Post by Rockfish »

I reported this in a dive recap a couple of weeks ago.

Here is the report,

Mukilteo T-dock 8-20
by Rockfish on Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:27 pm

Went diving at the t-dock last Wednesday. When my dive buddy and I got there we looked out and did not see any buoys on the surface. Usually we will see a red gas can over the geometric pvc pipe sculpture and the orange buoy over the 130' block but we did not see anything at all. The surface visibility looked pretty good when we got in the water and we could see the bottom at 30'. We descended and went to the satellite dish and then to the block and boat. On the way to the boat someone set up a mannequin with a fedora and a trenchcoat. We ascended to the surface via the line from the block and when we got to 30' we found that the chain securing the surface buoy to the upline had rusted thru. We then swam in to the beach underwater at 20' until we saw the pvc pipe we then descended to look for the buoy line but it was gone. Both of the lines from the boat to the troll are gone now. Bottom vis was about 20 - 30 feet. Not a lot of crab around. Water was very warm about 54 F at the bottom and 58 F at the surface. It was a very nice dive and we even managed to get done in time to miss the downpour.

Mike
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

There's a skeleton (plastic, not bone) with its feet in cement at the Hoodsport, right across from the Yellow House, as well. At least there was about a year and a half ago when we were doing our AOW there. I shot some video of my wife the nurse checking its pulse etc. And it's the skeleton in that picture I posted a while back that had the "Always dive with a buddy" caption.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
aquaholic24
Just Settling In

Post by aquaholic24 »

That is messed UP. I got the shivers reading that and I'm sitting at my desk, topside. I agree about the dead body phobia, especially in the dark. Yikes! You guys handled it WAAAAYYY better than I think I would do! :pale:
Last edited by aquaholic24 on Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Here's a good tip for when you go to the beach: A sand dollar may look like a nice cracker that someone left, but trust me, they don't taste like it."

Jack Handy
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Here's a question... What would you do if you DID find a body while you were diving? :pale: :dontknow:

My answer: If it was within 130fsw (I carry a 150' finger spool) I would shoot a bag and tie the spool off to the body or something nearby, but I'd prefer to secure it to the body itself. Then I would head in and call the authorities. If I was with someone with a camera, I would have them take pictures and video of the scene as best we could.

If it was below 130fsw, I would inflate a bag and attach it to something near the body but have the bag be about 3' above the bottom (so it is suspended mid-water, but near the bottom) to aid in locating it. I would then run the remainder of the line in a strategic direction (up hill if there is a slope, or say, due north/south) tieing it off, again to aid in locating it - the thought is that if you know how the line is laid out, and know the approximate location of the target, you can effectively make it easier to stumble-upon when you're back out searching. Then, again, I'd surface and notify authorities.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Sounder wrote:Here's a question... What would you do if you DID find a body while you were diving? :pale: :dontknow:

My answer: If it was within 130fsw (I carry a 150' finger spool) I would shoot a bag and tie the spool off to the body or something nearby, but I'd prefer to secure it to the body itself. Then I would head in and call the authorities. If I was with someone with a camera, I would have them take pictures and video of the scene as best we could.

If it was below 130fsw, I would inflate a bag and attach it to something near the body but have the bag be about 3' above the bottom (so it is suspended mid-water, but near the bottom) to aid in locating it. I would then run the remainder of the line in a strategic direction (up hill if there is a slope, or say, due north/south) tieing it off, again to aid in locating it - the thought is that if you know how the line is laid out, and know the approximate location of the target, you can effectively make it easier to stumble-upon when you're back out searching. Then, again, I'd surface and notify authorities.
Not being a forensics expert, how does a body work in the water? Seems to me that as long as it's not wearing concrete shoes, it would sink initially (lungs fill with water, making it negative.) As the initial decay starts, do the tissues release gas like they do on land? Does that make the body buoyant? Then after those gasses are released, it would sink again, right? All the while being carried along by our currents and tides. What are the odds that a body dumped just offshore would remain there?
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

scottsax wrote:
Sounder wrote:Here's a question... What would you do if you DID find a body while you were diving? :pale: :dontknow:

Not being a forensics expert, how does a body work in the water? Seems to me that as long as it's not wearing concrete shoes, it would sink initially (lungs fill with water, making it negative.) As the initial decay starts, do the tissues release gas like they do on land? Does that make the body buoyant? Then after those gasses are released, it would sink again, right? All the while being carried along by our currents and tides. What are the odds that a body dumped just offshore would remain there?
Left without mechanical help, the body would eventually float. At times, however, it can become entangled or weighted down (in other ways than a mafia hit). I.e. a scuba diver would most likely be weighted down, as would someone working on a bridge wearing a tool belt.

Dude - don't get all CSI on me here... answer the question!! :bootyshake:
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

i would do pretty much exactly what you describe in your first paragraph. i don't dive below 130, so the second paragraph doesn't apply to me, but that's a very good idea.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

spatman wrote:
i would do pretty much exactly what you describe in your first paragraph. i don't dive below 130, so the second paragraph doesn't apply to me, but that's a very good idea.
I don't either, yet, but I was thinking about how I could enlarge the target to make the search easier.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

I'd probably just do three things:

:smt119 :pale: :vom:
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Sounder wrote:Dude - don't get all CSI on me here... answer the question!! :bootyshake:
:laughing3:

Can't help it-I was raised reading forensics manuals. (OK, maybe I wasn't SUPPOSED to read them, but they were just lying around!)

I'd probably shoot a bag and tie it off to the body. And hightail it to a phone. I hope to hell it never ever ever ever happens.
:vom:

sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

I would probably hyperventilate, panic, and scream like a little girl…. then there would be 2 dead bodies.

I hope I never find one.
aquaholic24
Just Settling In

Post by aquaholic24 »

I wonder why instructors don't test their Rescue Diver students with a scenario like that--put a mannequin down and surprise the students to see that they react the right way (i.e, not panicking) 'cause sometimes, you know, you're not so much "rescuing" as "recovering". :pale: That would be one hell of a test.
"Here's a good tip for when you go to the beach: A sand dollar may look like a nice cracker that someone left, but trust me, they don't taste like it."

Jack Handy
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Sounder wrote:Dude - don't get all CSI on me here...

The internet is awesome:
A body in water will usually sink but because the specific gravity of a body is very close to that of water then small variations e.g. air trapped in clothing have a considerable effect on buoyancy. Having sunk to the bottom the body will remain there until putrefactive gas formation decreases the specific gravity of the body and creates sufficient buoyancy to allow it to rise to the surface and float. Heavy clothing and weights attached to the body may delay but will not usually prevent the body rising. Putrefaction proceeds at a slower rate in water than in air, in sea water than in fresh water and in running water than in stagnant water. The principal determinant is the temperature of the water so that in deep very cold
water e.g. the North American Great Lakes or the ocean the body may never resurface.
...taken from this document.

Edit: Um, I realize that this is really morbid, but this stuff is fascinating to me. Sorry if I upset anyone. :smt051
Last edited by scottsax on Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

scottsax wrote:
Sounder wrote:Dude - don't get all CSI on me here...

The internet is awesome:
A body in water will usually sink but because the specific gravity of a body is very close to that of water then small variations e.g. air trapped in clothing have a considerable effect on buoyancy. Having sunk to the bottom the body will remain there until putrefactive gas formation decreases the specific gravity of the body and creates sufficient buoyancy to allow it to rise to the surface and float. Heavy clothing and weights attached to the body may delay but will not usually prevent the body rising. Putrefaction proceeds at a slower rate in water than in air, in sea water than in fresh water and in running water than in stagnant water. The principal determinant is the temperature of the water so that in deep very cold
water e.g. the North American Great Lakes or the ocean the body may never resurface.
...taken from this document.
Who wants some burritos?! :evil4: