Edmonds Oil Dock 10/3 and 10/5

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Edmonds Oil Dock 10/3 and 10/5

Post by Nwbrewer »

So since the Edmonds Oil dock is going away soon, and I've never had the chance to dive it, I figured I should get out there while I had the chance. Friday, Burntchef and I met up and did a nice long dive, circling the T section, wandering around between the pilings, and we spent a little bit of time out past the dock in the rubble field that's a little deeper. Now I know why everyone is so upset that they're tearing out this site. The amount and diversity of life here is truly incredible. If you're like me, and had been procrastinating because of the current sensitive nature of the site, or the Loooooonnnngggg surface swim, all I have to say is, it's worth it. The best I can describe it is like swimming in an aquarium. Total dive time was 76 minutes, and we ended due to cold and uh, plumbing issues rather than lack of gas or NDLs.

I had such a good time Friday, I talked Laivndl into getting up at a retarded hour for a Sunday, and making another go at it. I could feel fridays dive in my legs on the kick out, but again it was worth it. We spent most of our time swimming around the perimeter, and through the pilings. Current was up a little more than Friday, but still manageable.

I HATE surface swimming, but it's worth the swim to do this site if you haven't done it. My understanding is that the demolition permit has been issued, so dive now or never. Here's some pics and video.

Jake

Last edited by Nwbrewer on Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Re: Edmonds Oil Dock 8/3 and 8/5

Post by Zen Diver »

So, was that really Friday, OCTOBER 3 or AUGUST 3 as in your header?

Just checking to make sure there wasn't some kind interdimensional time shift occuring with the currents out there....

-Valerie
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Re: Edmonds Oil Dock 8/3 and 8/5

Post by Nwbrewer »

Zen Diver 2 wrote:So, was that really Friday, OCTOBER 3 or AUGUST 3 as in your header?

Just checking to make sure there wasn't some kind interdimensional time shift occuring with the currents out there....

-Valerie
Oops!
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Re: Edmonds Oil Dock 10/3 and 10/5

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Nice report Jake! TCWestby has wanted to dive it before it goes, but i have heard the currents can be wicked. Nice pictures too.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

They can be. This week it looks like an afternoon or evening slack should be very do-able, it's a fairly small exchange.
jeff98208
Aquanaut

Post by jeff98208 »

cool and nice pics!
TAKE only pictures, KILL only time, LEAVE only bubbles!
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

We had planned to go say our goodbyes yesterday, but on the drive between Bremerton and Kingston we saw a sign reporting that the ferry only had one boat running and there were two hour delays. That would have put us well outside our current window, so we gave up on that and went to Les Davis instead, where we got to play with a little red octo, a GPO and a swimming scallop, among other critters. We found a northern clingfish inside the tractor tire, a critter we've never seen there before, and found a nice big red dendronotid down on the reef, another critter we hadn't see at LD before. So things worked out.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

One of these days I'll get to dive it before the State screws it up.
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....