CLUB DIVE REPORT, Hood Canal

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: CLUB DIVE REPORT, Hood Canal

Post by spatman »

scottsax wrote:Silly me. I thought I was supposed to run around like an idiot and fall on my ass...
no, scott, SIs are supposed to be different than your usual on-shore antics.
divewench
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by divewench »

Pat and I (Krista) enjoyed meeting everyone Friday night and chatting with Tom on Friday afternoon. We're from the Tri-Cities and recently got back into the sport. Shelly gave us the heads up about this event and it sounded like a great opportunity to get into salt water for the first time in three or four years. Unfortunately we missed the BBQ because during our dive on Saturday as I was making my way through the layer of red algae about 10 feet from the surface I failed to see a jelly fish until I had wrapped it around my regulator. That was bad, but what made it worse was that neither of us could recall the proper treatment (other than him peeing on me, which I declined) so I went back to the truck and used what I could find in the first aid kit (poison ivy soap, fresh water, and benadryl). It took about 10 hours for the pain and swelling in the lips and face to subside and another 4 for the uncontrollable muscle spasms and body itching to stop (no rash just itching). I am pretty sure that if I had applied vinegar and heat rather than fresh water I would of been fine and could of headed straight to the party, and if those aren't available I will to admit I will seriously considering asking someone to urinate on me. Bummer for Pat was that I made him stay at the trailer and watch me because I was a bit freaked out by the twitching.

But up until that point we had a great time and will be watching the boards for another opportunity to try the salt water world again.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Welcome to the board Krista! (...and Pat!) It was great talking with you - BUMMER about the Lion's Mane :pale: Those things scare me, and I've been fortunate to avoid them so far (Knock on wood!) :violent1:

Hope to see you again on this side of the hill!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Does anyone remember seeing BLUE rockfish at Sund Rock?

- Janna
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I didn't Janna, but then seeing suspended Rockfish was not an easy call with the layer of algae bloom that was happening at abt 25 fsw.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

divewench wrote:Pat and I (Krista) enjoyed meeting everyone Friday night and chatting with Tom on Friday afternoon. We're from the Tri-Cities and recently got back into the sport.
Hello Krista (and Pat). Nice to have some more Tri-City divers here. Hope to see you around.

-Ben (in Kennewick)
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
paw
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by paw »

It was great meeting some of you (Mav, Cuppie, Tom, and others). Thanks to Shell for getting us involved. It was a bummer when divewench ran into that lions mane! I was only a couple feet away and never saw it. We were in a red layer at the surface that surely masked it. Sorry we didn't get to party with y'all on Saturday. Next time!

Pat
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

divewench wrote:... as I was making my way through the layer of red algae about 10 feet from the surface I failed to see a jelly fish until I had wrapped it around my regulator. That was bad, but what made it worse was that neither of us could recall the proper treatment (other than him peeing on me, which I declined) so I went back to the truck and used what I could find in the first aid kit (poison ivy soap, fresh water, and benadryl).
Congratulations! You've been officially welcomed as a NW Diver by having an up-close-and-personal encounter with a Lion's Mane. #-o I've been stung many times by these guys. Most divers in the area run up against them sooner or later.

Well, just so ya know for next time, the first aid for Lion's Mane jellies is to:
- irrigate abundantly with SEA water...(I just keep diving :) )
- then use HOT WATER soaks for 30-90 min after the sea water treatment. (this helps neutralize the unfired nematocysts)
- And then try removing any extra tentacles with tweezers
- then shave the area clean (or you can use the edge of a credit card in a pinch)
- and then put on hydrocortisone cream to help with the allergic reaction.

Benadryl, like you did, is also recommended. And either warm or cold packs to control the pain later.

Vinegar, and all those other treatments are NOT recommended for jelly stings anymore.

So. Now you know.

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

oregondiver wrote:Darn thing was leaking air faster than a used car salesman gasbag.
Hey CarDiver! Did you see this? :smt064 :laughing3:

Good thing she did not say that about a New car salseman. :supz:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

I know.....Talk about getting, "ripped in to"......... :angryfire:
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

Scubagirl45 wrote:
airsix wrote:But what's with all the frowning?! Most (not all, but most) of you look like you're attending a funeral!

It's a dive trip for heaven's sake. SMILE!!!!! \:D/

-Ben
Maybe we should fire the photographer(s)..............there were plenty of smiles over the weekend, but somehow no-one got pictures of them \:D/
Au contraire...