Les Davis 10-27

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
bnboly
Submariner

Les Davis 10-27

Post by bnboly »

Met up with Tom Nic and did two fantastic dives at Les Davis. Viz was about 15' at depth for both dives - lots of life out and about. We did 'run' across a rope running somewhat parallel to the shore at about 40FSW. No signs, tags or anything! Anybody have a clue as to what it's for??

Here are a few pics from the dive:

It's not broken - it's just missing duct tape!
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Re: Les Davis 10-27

Post by cardiver »

He's alive! :boxing:
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Les Davis 10-27

Post by Tom Nic »

Some of my pics from the dive are here .

Two GREAT dives - 74 and 67 minutes respectively. Slow, relaxed, critter filled, with decent but not spectacular viz. Really as much as you can ask for in a PNW shore dive that is easily accessible and not current swept.

I can't say enough how the last few dives at Les Davis have impressed me. I had written this site off as a silt hole, and I have really been wrong. At least right now there is a ton of life here. From the old bridge for structure, to the eel grass beds in the shallows there is a bunch of life. We saw Ling Cod (lots, and good sized, and camera shy!), Brown & Black Rockfish, Buffalo, Scaleyhead, and Grunt Sculpin, Anemones, Algae, Alabasters, Opalescents, Diamonback Tritonias, Dendronotus Rufus, Swimming Scallops, Decorated Warbonnet, and while we didn't see Wolfies or Octos we know that they are there from recent reports and visual evidence. There are LOTS of places that good sized critters could hide there, and there is no way you could thoroughly cover the site in one dive.

A couple of my favorite shots:

We also found two of the Red Dendronotids, Dendronotus rufus. I love these huge, frilly, "graceful looking" nudibranchs. I'm having a hard time getting the kind of pics of them I'd like to. I think I need to mess with the manual settings. The automatic setting seems to either wash them out or make them too dark. They are a beautiful critter!

And finally, we found a large Decorated Warbonnet tucked way back in a hole - probably 2ft. back. As a result the image isn't real clear, but you can still see the impressive headgear on this guy!

If you haven't dove Les Davis lately I'd urge you to give it a try!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman