lake wa/ p4y-2

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

lake wa/ p4y-2

Post by Burntchef »

met up with matt and ken to finally get back in the lake for a tech dive. with vis blown out all around and the lake is allways a great place to go, even if vis is allways a challenge. we hooked up at sand point, loaded up the boat and headed off into some pea soup fog, a super quick motor out and matt had locked the coords and dropped the shot line. ken was going to do the reel work, i was deco caller and matt was tour guide since me and ken had not hit this plane yet.

we suited up and dropped one by one into the water and swam over to the ball, did our safety checks and down we went. as usuall around 70ffw the lights go out and its game on, vis stayed good though and the shot line was close enough to the wing ken didnt need to reel. with matt on the lead we did a few laps around the plane, passing the engines, .50 cal guns, cockpit, and up to the tail section. my favorite part was finning along the fuselage of the plane with ken on my right and matt on the left i was on top with those guys along the sides, thanks to the helium i was just imagining this plane in all its glory, the rivited panels, the stenciled instructions on some panels, all of this still preserved for the lucky to see. and still in huge white letters you see NAVY SEATTLE that was way cool. our 20 minutes was up and we started up the shot line to do our deco, we surfaced just under a hour to crazy fog but the boat was there with kelly waiting on it for us to keep boaters away.
Last edited by Burntchef on Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Re: lake wa/ harpoon

Post by Burntchef »

a few pics
Attachments
harpoon 003.jpg
harpoon 002.jpg

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Re: lake wa/ harpoon

Post by Burntchef »

matt and ken on deco
Attachments
harpoon 005.jpg
harpoon 004.jpg

mattwave
Amphibian

Re: lake wa/ p4y-2

Post by mattwave »

Nice report, that dive had some of the best vis I have seen on that wreck, i hope it holds out for the next few days.
"Scuba Like You Love It!"
Let's go diving
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

How'd you like the Salvo LED?
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Nice report! I love that dive, shoulda gone with you guys yesterday......
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

Nwbrewer wrote:How'd you like the Salvo LED?

very nice, i was suprised it held up to the lake

Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Sounds like you had a blast, really cool day. :bounce:
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Where are the pics of the plane ?? What's the depth of the plane? ... ; )
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

my camera set up doesent work so well in zero light conditions, depth was around 160ish

H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Dang camera problems.. !! Oh well that's a sweet dive .. What's the cost of Helium Fills these days ?
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

i have a set dedicated to helium fills so iam only doing top offs but even that averages around 30-40 bucks for a set of twin 100s with 25/25. then add on your deco mix, and then........

Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Chef, that's about 16 bucks more than i pay for a top off on a set of 100's. I usually get 18/40 and since helium costs more than O2 your guy is charging more. It will be cheaper for me sooooooon once my fill station is complete at home :bounce:
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

STAIRS.
mattwave
Amphibian

Post by mattwave »

Maverick wrote:Chef, that's about 16 bucks more than i pay for a top off on a set of 100's. I usually get 18/40 and since helium costs more than O2 your guy is charging more. It will be cheaper for me sooooooon once my fill station is complete at home :bounce:
Welder's helium, or diver's grade? If diver's grade, your guy is losing $, if welder's helium,get what you pay for.
Let's go diving
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Divers grade of course. :supz:
Maverick

STAIRS.
mattwave
Amphibian

Post by mattwave »

Then that must be some small top off for the price you claim, your SAC rate must be awesome or your mix dives insignificant.
Let's go diving
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

How much you pay for a "top off" is really rather meaningless. Mav, how much per cuft do you pay?

Everybody has thier own system it seems like for fills. The descriptions of how much one place charges over another don't mean anything unless you quantify exactly what your getting for your $$.

Jake
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Nwbrewer wrote:How much you pay for a "top off" is really rather meaningless. Mav, how much per cuft do you pay?

Everybody has thier own system it seems like for fills. The descriptions of how much one place charges over another don't mean anything unless you quantify exactly what your getting for your $$.

Jake
True true
Maverick

STAIRS.