Poachers at EUP?

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Poachers at EUP?

Post by Nwbrewer »

Had a nice dive at EUP (BHUT) last night. When we were rinsing off we were approached by a Fish and Game agent. Apparently they had gotten reports of people out spearfishing at the park. [-X

Honestly I can't believe someone would be either that dumb, or that brazen to try and take game from EUP, with WSP and EPD basically right there all the time, not to mention the number of divers and park goers always there. It's a game preserve, everybody knows it. There are big signs.

We spoke with the officer from Fish and Game for a few minutes. He asked that if you see someone harvesting illegally from EUP, please call the WSP, and they will contact Fish and Game who will come out to the park and "take care of it".

Jake
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: Poachers at EUP?

Post by Grateful Diver »

I've hauled fishing lures out of EUP before ... in fact, I'd say if you swam out to the boundary buoys today you'd find some.

Back when I lived in Mill Creek I used to enjoy going out there for an early-morning dive. And one day I saw a boat tied up to one of the boundary buoys with two guys who were casting fishing lines well into the park.

The allure of large lings and cabbies is just too irresistible for some folks ... not to mention all the rockfish that inhabit the place.

This is the first time I've heard reports of divers spearfishing there, however ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Re: Poachers at EUP?

Post by nwscubamom »

When I first read the title of this thread, I was thinking, "Well YEAH! I've seen Poachers at Edmonds UW Park, for sure! I remember the time I even found a Blacktip Poacher there. Pretty cool sighting."

Oh. You mean THOSE kind of poachers....

#-o

- Janna
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------