SUNRISE THIS MORNING, 12-11

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
cardiver
I've Got Gills

SUNRISE THIS MORNING, 12-11

Post by cardiver »

I've been on very few dives here in the sound, where, at the end of your 75 minutes underwater, everyone surfaces shouting like children and fist pumping/high fiving for a good two minutes.
This morning at Sunrise was one of those times. From dropping right on top of the far north end of the wall, to nailing the current, to EIGHT gpo's (one out in the open) and three great buddies to share a morning with......
Thanks to Keith, Tom and Bob for an amazing way to start the day.
If you click on my sig link you can view videos of the gpo we saw.
Attachments
CIMG1625.JPG
CIMG1619.JPG
CIMG1615.JPG
CIMG1610.JPG
CIMG1580.JPG
CIMG1578.JPG
CIMG1576.JPG
Last edited by cardiver on Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: SUNRISE THIS MORNING, 12-11

Post by Tom Nic »

What a FANTASTIC dive!! \:D/ :bounce:

We surfaced after 75 minutes, I was doing the happy dance (otherwise known as the "I saw a Pacific Spiny Lumpsucker dance"), shouting into my reg because I couldn't wait, and high-fiving my buddies. Like Ron said, we nailed the slack, saw 8 full grown GPO's, one in the open - perfect conditions! We spent 15 to 20 minutes at the end of our dive on a shale "ledge" / wall that sits at about 20-25fsw and is full of little clam holes and macro life. Ron spotted the PSL - (good job Ron!) I never would have seen it - in a crevice on the shale wall, upside down on the roof no less.

Even the walk back up was made endurable because Keith brought a cart that we threw our gear in and pulled up the hill. I'll tell you, if you want to get in shape just start diving Sunrise regularly!

I'll throw up some pics as soon as I have time.

Thanks guys for an AMAZING dive!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

This kind of dive doesn't come around every day. They're very special. I'm really glad you all had such a wonderful time - these kind of days just can't be topped anywhere in the world.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

Post by DiverBob »

Thanks to Keith, Ron and Tom for an unbelievable dive!! Reflecting on this mornings dive and trying come up with the correct words to describe it, I'm just unable to! This was dive #40 for me and was easily the longest and most memorable! My first time to Sunrise and I can't wait to go back. Bob
Life is good, let's dive!!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Sounder wrote:This kind of dive doesn't come around every day. They're very special. I'm really glad you all had such a wonderful time - these kind of days just can't be topped anywhere in the world.
So true Doug! :notworthy:

Some of my pics from the dive are here .

This would have been the perfect dive to have brought my strobe - especially finding the GPO in the open. Unfortunately the Octo is so large that you can't get good pics of him without a strobe because there is too much area to light up.

Here is GPO #2 (#1 didn't turn out that great).

GPO #3.

GPO #4!

Here's GPO #5! I like this pic...

And here's GPO #6! \:D/

And finally, GPO #7 - I never got a shot of #8.

This Red Irish Lord was just gorgeous! You can see how he is matching the golds of the sponges on the scallops and the pinks of the Pink Coralline Algae.

And speaking of Pink Coralline Algae, that is one of the things that makes pics on the wall so cool - the colors can be almost tropical if you get the right angles and get them lit up right. Here's a few more...

And last, but definitely not least, a beautiful grey Pacific Spiny Lumpsucker!! \:D/ Thanks Ron for spotting him!

Again, what a fantastic dive!
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Nice pic of the PSL, Tom! Mine wasn't in focus, unfortunately. :crybaby:
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

cardiver wrote:Nice pic of the PSL, Tom! Mine wasn't in focus, unfortunately. :crybaby:
Out of the 9 shots I took about 3 turned out decent. When in doubt, shoot and shoot and shoot some more! I still haven't been sorry for a pic I took - been sorry for a bunch that I didn't take! :axe:
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Tom Nic wrote:
cardiver wrote:Nice pic of the PSL, Tom! Mine wasn't in focus, unfortunately. :crybaby:
Out of the 9 shots I took about 3 turned out decent. When in doubt, shoot and shoot and shoot some more! I still haven't been sorry for a pic I took - been sorry for a bunch that I didn't take! :axe:
Hey, I don't see anything wrong with those pics! Ya just didn't take enough \:D/ If I come back with less than 70 pix after a dive that long I would think something must have been wrong with me or my equipment. I did a 93 min. night dive last Saturday and came back with 198 shots of which only 20 were instant deletes. Shoot, Shoot and shot some more and if it's worth a pic it's worth 3 or 4. There are no regrets on digital cameras accept the I didn't get a shot of that one, that's what the delete button is for.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Here's a short video of a GPO out in the open that I took this morning. Don't think the embed from YouTube works?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pdsgI-aB18
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

](*,) ](*,)
I KNEW I SHOULDA CALLED IN SICK!!!!
Man Oh Man!!!
:crybaby: :crybaby:
But glad you guys had a great dive. Sunrise is a place we call the zoo 'cuz it is guaranteed that you will see alot of critters.
I love it, don't mind the walk and is the dive site where I met my best dive buddy ever...my husband, Tim!!!
Thanks for the pics!!!
Can someone volunteer to help me spot a PSL????
I wanna see one!
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Why didn't you reach out and touch that nice Big GPO and Pet Him ?? I've always wanted to try and have an octo crwl up my arm ..
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Scubak wrote:Can someone volunteer to help me spot a PSL????
I wanna see one!
Kirsten
Hmmm.... I've seen two in 364 dives, so I don't know that I'd be a good candidate.

But you're always welcome to come with us and look while we do!
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

Tom Nic wrote:
Scubak wrote:Can someone volunteer to help me spot a PSL????
I wanna see one!
Kirsten
Hmmm.... I've seen two in 364 dives, so I don't know that I'd be a good candidate.

But you're always welcome to come with us and look while we do!
I'd offer to take you, Kirsten. But, I quickly figured out my "PSL to # of dives" ratio....you only have a 0.8% chance of seeing one with me. However, if we look at just this year, you have a 3.2% chance--it's been a good year. All in all, you have a much better chance of seeing a PSL with me than a six gill...only a 0.2% chance of that.

HA HA!
Jenn
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Speaking of finding PSL's...

Those of you who dive this site from shore are no doubt aware of the shale / sandstone "ledges" (better than calling it a wall, I suppose) that is between the north end of the main wall and the entry at around safety stop depth or a little deeper. It is a GREAT way to end a shore dive at this site.

It goes for at least 30-50 feet, (headed in the direction that you will be exiting from anyway) and at first glance is not much to look at. HOWEVER... as usual, if you slow down, and take time to shine your lights in the nooks and crannies you'll find warbonnetts, gunnels, a PSL (this time!), hermit crabs, cool looking clams, shrimp, etc. etc. It would be very easy to blow by this terrain and not take the time to look and thereby miss some pretty cool stuff - especially if you're a photographer. I suppose in the Summer it would be harder to find this spot and look close because of the kelp. But in the Winter, even with less life, it's a great place to spend some time at the end of your dive.

Keith has been talking about how he loves night dives because it "forces" you to look closely in a fairly small area, and you consequently see more stuff. He's been talking about picking a spot of "turf" - anywhere - and looking close and combing over it with your light and finding all kinds of stuff that is very well camouflaged that you would otherwise miss.

I think he's right! :fish: