Big Island and Oahu diving - Mantas, Black Water and wrecks

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Benoit
Aquaphile

Big Island and Oahu diving - Mantas, Black Water and wrecks

Post by Benoit »

I spent 2 weeks in Big Island and Oahu and was able to do a few dives (would have been 8 but 2 were cancelled because of the weather).

It was my second time diving on the big island. First time was with Jack's locker in 2003 - great shop overall and I have only heard good feedback about them.

This time, I was lured by Big Island Divers. They are a great bunch and I had a great experience on both charters.

First charter was a morning 2-tanks. I think the first place was called Golden Arches and I can't remember the second place... Near-shore in Kona. Viz was 100+ ft away from shore as is usual there... Had a great time.
Viz at 80ft
Viz at 80ft
Viz nearer to shore at 35ft
Viz nearer to shore at 35ft
Second charter was by far the best: Manta Ray dive followed by Black Water dive, see http://www.bigislanddivers.com/Black.html. I had heard good things about both these dives yet I was not prepared to how cool this was!!! I completely failed to grab good picts of the Manta Ray dives (I should have practiced that new camera above water in the dark first...) but the experience of 17' manta rays coming at you and swimming 1" above your head is very amazing. I brought my 24W HID - which was attracting a lot more planctons than the other lights around - so all 5 of the Mantas that night were truely my friend. I know many of you have done this before but those who haven't absolutely need to do this if you go to Hawaii... My wife did get to record pretty good movies the next night doing it just snorkeling.

Then the black water dives... I felt like in the "Final Fantasy" movie with all the ghosts appearing. We saw dozens of types of invertabrates in the water column. Was a little nervous to be above 7000ft of water at 11pm in such clear water. But when the different animals shows-up slowly moving against your drift - with all the bioluminescence - and the colorful see-thru effects of the HID... a great experience. It was an hour but felt a lot shorter.
A type of worm I forgot the name of... sorry.
A type of worm I forgot the name of... sorry.
Joshua (http://jlambusphoto.com) our guide did an excellent job. The combo Manta & Black Water dive in one night is a blast.

Then last week I did two dives with Island Divers Hawaii of Oahu - the Corsair (105ft) and the Baby Barge (75ft or so). I had a good time with them - nothing special and a little expensive. I will probably try someone else next time. Vis was 40-80 ft since it was just after a storm. Lots of waves and other divers feeling sick... but good dives anyway. The current on the Corsair however was extremely difficult to swim against - barely keeping up with it - I got narced, exhausted and a little uncomfortable... so I didn't stay as much as I wanted to.
Partial view of corsair
Partial view of corsair
Saw big turtles and a reef shark on the baby barge. Apparently we were the firsts to see the damage from the previous day's big storm: it looks like a missile went through and there was a lot of coral damages. But no pict - didn't check the battery before getting there...
- Benoit.