Langley wreck diving

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Langley wreck diving

Post by Jan K »

When my buddy Todd called to ask if I want to join him this morning for a dive in Langley, at first I looked at the thermometer and almost declined. But when he said that Langley police asked him to dive on sailboat which sunk Sunday night just outside the harbor and get the registration number from the hull so they can find and call the owner - I was in. Wreck diving ! Who cares that the temperature in the morning was 19 degrees. The sun was rising and when we cast off it was heating up to 22 degrees. There was no need to search for the wreck with his side scan sonar, mast is sticking out of the water.. :) We tied the Xlendi Bay to nearby mooring can, and eagerly jumped in, the water was definitely warmer then air. Although the depth where the sailboat is only measly 11 feet , I was hoping for better visibility. We got barely ten feet. I knew I could not get any pictures with my usual set-up, so I dug out a relic from the old Nikonos days, a Green Thing Fish eye I bought 30 years ago and stuck it in front of the lens. The quality is lousy, but at least you get the idea what that newest Langley wreck looks like. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for the owner to raise it.. I went through my Sunday dive pictures and found one scene which has the sailboat still floating. Enjoy..
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Langley wreck diving

Post by Joshua Smith »

Ha! Cool, Jan! Did the owner get contacted?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Yes, he was contacted and called Todd and asked about the possibility of salvaging the sailboat. I would like to help out, but got to leave for California this weekend...
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Jan K wrote:Yes, he was contacted and called Todd and asked about the possibility of salvaging the sailboat. I would like to help out, but got to leave for California this weekend...
Let me know if Todd needs help lifting it- I have a few friends who would be happy to come help out! Have a good trip down to Cali, Jan!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."