Big Island Diving

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Big Island Diving

Post by Sockmonkey »

Just for the sake of boasting I missed most of the snow action this weekend by ducking out to the Big Island for a few days. Our flight was Thursday afternoon and there were a few hours where I thought we weren't going to make our flight. I had always heard stories about Seattlites freaking out when it snows. Last December I was on I5 in a pretty good snow storm and folks were spinning out here and there. So I expected people to be total dumbasses in the snow. What I didn't expect was the total lack of plowing and salt/sand trucks. It never dawned on me that such things wouldn't exist. Regardless of all that the car we ordered canceled on us and the taxi cabs lines were jammed up and busy. Buses without chains were careening down the Ballard hills. Amusing to watch with my morbid sense of humor but stressful seeing that we needed to be at Seatac that day. The little pickup I drive would never have made it in the snow. The brakes suck when the roads are dry and I didn't have a couple hundred pounds of crap to throw in the bed to stop it from sliding around. I ended up calling a friend who had been up all night for various reasons, owned a 4x4 and came complete with a sense of adventure. We were only a couple hours late in taking off. I was psyched.

I dive bag was 52 pounds on the scale. Two pounds overweight which meant an extra fee. I stood there with my credit card but the woman checking us in was so dazed from the airport mayhem she didn't notice. Sweet. An extra $50 to put toward umbrella drinks and kava. That also meant that I could take my weighted STA out and put it my carry on for the the ride home and not get charged.

Saturday was my only day to dive on this little jaunt. One of my closest friends from high school works as an instructor and underwater tour guide for Jack's Diving Locker. So he signed me up for a two tank morning boat trip. The weather was even more perfect than usual for diving. A little cloud cover allowed for a little less sun screen. My friend was kind enough to scare up two nearly unused AL80's with DIN valves on them for me. (thanks anyways CaptnJack for the adapter loan). There was much ribbing about the fact I had to be (short bus) special with my special tanks and my special long hose etc. But thankfully that was the only ribbing I took for my rig. Not a stronzo in sight... except for one of the (recently hired) crew who started lecturing me about tech diving agencies. I just played dumb to her insecure scuba ego and vanity.

The first dive spot we hit was Pyramid Pinnacles. My friend was on board to dive with me not as a DM so we weren't limited by the vacation divers on board. Normally they only spend about 45 mins bottom time. We rushed into the water first and spent about an 1:16 goofing off. My digital camera is really my wife's. Just happen to own the housing for it. Once I got under I realized I couldn't figure out how to make the flash come on. It took me the whole dive to find the right combination of buttons to make it happen. I guess I was messing with it so much that even my wife who was snorkeling asked me what was wrong with the camera. She watched me from above swim off pushing buttons. I thank my lucky stars I didn't have to use those tiny buttons with dry gloves.

Since he didn't have any customers or students my friend was able to explore some lava tubes he doesn't normally get to go in. The first one we came upon we found a white tip shark up and about. We were psyched that it wasn't napping as they tend to do during the day. As my buddy went around the other side of the lava tube to get the shark to go past me I found myself crouching behind a rock like I was waiting for a bear or some other woodland creature. It was total instinct as if I was on land. I got a good laugh out of myself. The poor guy had a fish hook stuck in his craw and was trailing some shark leader. No wonder he couldn't sleep.

You can see the insomniac shark just in the entrance of the cave in this photo. The light looks pretty great coming through the top of the lava tube.

Closer.

As he passes by (I haven't mastered the button delay of my camera at all)

And him leaving in a huff.

Lava tubes are fun.

We went into another tube that dead ended that had a hole in the top that even after 100's of dives here he had never gone in before. We were probably in 10 feet of water by the shore and the water was crashing through the hole at the top of this hollow area. You could see just how the water had carved even more of the rock away... and piled stones up in the corner as if my some kind of sorting machine. I tried to take as many photos of the cashing water, bubbles, and the light streaming through. The one of my friend below you can see that it looked like were were inside a bubbly seltzer cave. I dumped all the gas from my wing and laid on my back trying to get interesting pictures.

I'll try not to bore everyone with yet another set of blueish green photo of an angel fish. But I really dig trumpet fish so I'll include a few in spite of the lack of flash.

I'm most disappointed with my flashless photography when I spotted this eel as we were heading back to the upline.

Eli flutter kicking into the big blue.

The second dive was at Pipe Dreams. This is a site right off the Natural Energy Labs. I'm guessing they do some work with seawater cooling and heating and have pipes that go offshore to collect cool water. The test pipe they laid is a popular dive site. It starts at about 40 or so feet and goes down to 110 or so. The pipe was interesting but the eel that lives in the top of the pipe wasn't home that day.

I did watch some fish swim upside-down eating stuff from the bottom of the pipe and I thought that was kinda cool.

A little octo eluded us and hid in some coral. The bugger! I got a couple photos of him all buried in there.

I found a white mouth moray somewhere along the way who was really quite photogenic.

We found a white bucket floating at the surface and inside was a little frogfish.

When we let him out at the end of the dive a bunch of us with cameras started stooging it up. The frogfish came right at me and all my camera could focus on was the other divers with cameras... but it still makes for a funny photo series.

The whole photo set can be found here on flickr.

I can always recommend Jack's to folks who are on the big island. They've got an influx of new DM's I would stay away from. Certainly Keller and Eli are the most fun to dive with. Doug and Grumpy Jim are also second on my list of great dive guides. Everyone else... YMMV. They switch your tanks and rinse your gear for you at the end of the day which is nice for some folks. Sandwiches are served for lunch too. And if you can manage to get Danny as your boat captain he always has a silly story to tell.

The next day we ran down to Place of Refuge to go look at some Hawaiian ruins and do some snorkeling. I did a shore dive here a few years ago and I can safely say that it ruled. The snorkeling here is A freaking plus too.

Nice ass.

Please don't anger the tiki gods.

We saw a few sea turtles basking on the lava. We tried not to get too close to them while they napped but other tourists did. My wife and I tattled on them to the rangers when we left the park.

The tide pools were rich with the fuzzy green grass the turtles like to eat.

All said and done it was a brief but delightful trip to the Big Island. This would have never been possible living on the east coast for sure.

Thanks for making it this far in my boring vacation slide show.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Re: Big Island Diving

Post by H20doctor »

Nice dive.... Those rocks and tubes look supper sweet!!! The water there is really clear and nice. I hope to go there someday. Thanks for sharing your pics and vacation with us
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

looks like a nice trip, you bastard. :supz:
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Great report Eric! I can't wait for a chance to go diving in Hawaii.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Eric, thanks for this great trip report. Stories + pictures are always enjoyed. :smt038
-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Great report - thanks to telling the story - and believe me, I'm sure you stirred up plenty of warm water diving jealousies.

Heck, I'm jealous of anybody who's even been diving. Last report I've heard of was GD & friend's Redondo dive. Maybe tomorrow. Currents look GREAT all week.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

Nice size white tip. How big?
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

I'm glad people liked the photos. Hopefully people dig them as much as I enjoyed sharing them.
Pinkpadigal wrote:Nice size white tip. How big?
Hmmm. Probably around 5' or so. I'm a pretty bad judge of how big things are underwater. Regardless it was a pretty good sized for any shark that close.

I felt pretty bad that it was wandering around with a hook in its mouth :crybaby:

-Eric

LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Oh, dear, Eric.

Looking at the whole first half of the report, I have only one thing to say: Start a Cave 1 fund NOW. You've got the disease already.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

You have some nice shots in there!! Great composition on some, with diver in background, coral mid, and trumpetfish in foreground. Thanks for posting these! Personally the Big Island is my FAVORITE place to dive - the last few times we have gone, we did minimal boat dives and mostly shore dives, and that was EVEN BETTER. Jacks is good - but it's still a lot of people crammed together on a boat, dumped in at the same site. Shore diving was really nice in that respect - you have the places all to yourselves.

Curious - did you let them put your gear together for you?? After all these years of doing it myself, I won't let them touch my stuff when I'm on vacation.

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Great trip report, Eric- thanks for posting it here! I need to do more of that- It's great to feel your enthusiasm through your pictures and writing!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

I thought diving with sharks would be cool.
I thought cave diving would be cool.
But doing a cave dive with a shark.... Eric, you da man!
I think the only way to top that would be a wreck penetration dive in a cave, with a shark.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

LCF wrote:Oh, dear, Eric.

Looking at the whole first half of the report, I have only one thing to say: Start a Cave 1 fund NOW. You've got the disease already.
Oy vey ist mir. I'm doomed aren't I?
nwscubamom wrote: Shore diving was really nice in that respect - you have the places all to yourselves.
The last time I was there we did a bunch of shore diving when my friend was off work. He lives not too far away from a couple great spots. This time around it was just easier for us to hop on the boat for the morning. I was glad he wasn't working so I didn't have to dive with the other folks who scare the pretty fish away.
nwscubamom wrote:Curious - did you let them put your gear together for you?? After all these years of doing it myself, I won't let them touch my stuff when I'm on vacation.
- Janna :)
They didn't really try to swap my gear. I saw one of them staring at my stuff but I just told her not to worry about it. No one else tried either because my bp/w looked crazy, maybe they tried but the DIN valve confused them, or they just knew I was with my friend and didn't need help.

I sure let them rinse my gear tho :bounce:
airsix wrote:I think the only way to top that would be a wreck penetration dive in a cave, with a shark.
-Ben
I'm totally sinking a boat in a cave and chumming the waters.... maybe get Bdub to add that cert to his new curriculum. Into to Wrecavshark starts next year.

Thanks everyone for the kind words and encouragement.

Now would someone make it stop &*@!#'n stop snowing! Bah and or humbug.

edm81363
Aquaphile

Post by edm81363 »

Nice report. I made a video for Jack's from some footage we shot there in October;

http://www.vimeo.com/2051376

Were you diving with Jack Ortiz? He's from here...
-Ed in Mill Creek
OW, AOW, Boat, Deep, EANx, CPR, First Aid, O2, Rescue, HSA, DM
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

airsix wrote: I think the only way to top that would be a wreck penetration dive in a cave, with a shark. -Ben
in a cave, with a shark...with a laserbeam on it's head?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh5Lh-tTSZQ
:evil4:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

edm81363 wrote:Nice report. I made a video for Jack's from some footage we shot there in October;

http://www.vimeo.com/2051376
Ed, That was AWESOME! :smt038