Sund Rock 01/11/09

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Biodiversity_Guy
Extreme Diving Machine

Sund Rock 01/11/09

Post by Biodiversity_Guy »

Pete and I got our act together and headed out Sunday afternoon for a day of diving up on Hood Canal. We stopped at Hood Sport & Dive for a couple of nitrox fills and ended up deciding to do Sund Rock.

The first dive was on the south wall. Vis was poor on the upper 10 feet or so, but deeper was 15+. GPOs, wolf eels and all the usual critters. A few nudibranchs laying eggs.

The 2nd dive ended up being a night dive (splash at 4:50 or so) on the north wall and mud flats at its base. Again, the vis was poor shallow but got better below 15' or so. 15-20 feet. Water was cold at 46 degrees. Lots more critters out at night. Stubby squid, bay gobies, true cod (not sure which species), black bellied eelpouts, numerous snake pricklebacks, many many spot prawns, slim sculpin, the list goes on. I will post a few pictures over in the critter section.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Sund Rock 01/11/09

Post by Tom Nic »

Cool - thanks for the report. WE'll be diving the Hood in a week and are hoping that viz improves significantly in our week of good weather!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

We will????
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

cardiver wrote:We will????
Bill and I are on a charter MLK day - thought I had mentioned it Ron, Sorry... - unfortunately it is full... I'm hoping to dive Fri AM this week - maybe Thursday if I can get stuff done.

But I would like to make a day and do Sund / Octopus Hole and environs over the next month or so. We always manage to do at least one 3 dive day at Sund, and they're always great in the Winter!
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

I thought you were talking about a Monday dive.
I'm sure that Keith and I will be diving on Thursday afternoon this week if you can make it.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

cardiver wrote:I thought you were talking about a Monday dive.
I'm sure that Keith and I will be diving on Thursday afternoon this week if you can make it.
It actually is a Monday - the 19th.

And If there's anyway I can make it I'll definitely be diving with you guys. Diving with Tim Friday morning hopefully.