Octopus Hole, Sat. 1-24-09

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Octopus Hole, Sat. 1-24-09

Post by mz53480 »

Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtxyFRw5QYg

Met up with Pez, Fishtiq, H2Odoctor and Oregondiver to dive the hole.
It was good times....thanks for coming up/down ya all!
A few other divers were also out, but just enough parking spaces to keep everyone happy
(Oregondiver had to run over a guy that wouldn't move to get her spot though).

Vis at least 20fsw.
Lots of Octos, a few wolfies, and a disappearing cameraman......

The dives:
Large outcropping of white anenomes at the start of the wall, and octo in its den underneath, face out, and soaking up all the attention. Another octo tried to get the cameras from a few of us....

The dead seal is still in about 30-35fsw, south of the lion statue ~15-20meters. Find it, then go up ~5fsw and there's the big wolfie and octopus next to each other.

***Lingcod sitting on eggs***---amazing that it didn't charge. I figured it would've been more aggressive, but great not to use that DAN insurance yet....
A few crabs fighting it out...always a good time to watch.

Great time with everyone, thanks again, and hope to make it up north (or south for Oregondiver...is there diving there?) soon.

MZ
:fish:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Re: Octopus Hole, Sat. 1-24-09

Post by Pez7378 »

Sweet! Now I have a place to post my report.

So sometimes I let Joe plan my dives. He tells me the plan, I decide if I like it, and I ride the wave. The first couple parts of the plan I didn't like, be at his house at 7am and drive for several hours to the site. I woke up feeling a little bitchy to say the least. So I arrive about 10 minutes late, and find that I’m going on a couple’s day of diving with Joe, his GF, H20Doctor and his GF, and general merriness that I just wasn't into. Great. All morning I kept hearing, "cheer up dude" and bladdity blah.

Fast forward about 4 cups of coffee later, some decent tunes and I'm starting to feel like having some fun. We had heard that Octopus Hole was really not much better than Sund Rock, and I had also heard reports that there really weren't many Octo's there anymore, although there were some from time to time. Great. We arrive at the dive site, which isn't much more than a couple of turnouts along the Highway. Everyone is there already, Shell (Oregondiver), Mike (MZ53480) and some other divers. We meet and greet and gear up.

I’m definitely feeling better now that I’m in the water. We assign teams and begin our descent. Apparently Shell is in a hurry, or her Force fins are just too fast for the rest of us :smt064 , but as soon as I see the sea whips at around 82fsw, I know we’ve missed the wall. Mike get's her attention and turns the group upslope towards the wall. Joe and I stop to take a picture of some Squid eggs, and as we continue, we realized we’re alone, I can just see the "Death light" in the distance. We continue in the general direction of the other team, catch one or two light signals and then they’re gone. We find the wall, which is barren. Void of life completely. We are now at about 45 fsw, and there is nothing to see to the right, left, above or below. I stow the camera, and just enjoy the feeling of being in the water. Out of boredom, I pull out my wetnotes and jot down a little sarcasm for Joe.
CCF01252009_00002.jpg
I get the finger. Now who has the bad attitude?

Then things start to look up. A small Ling is sitting on eggs. He’s not really aggressive but he just casually swims straight at my mask, and I put my hands up in defense. So for about 2 minutes, this ling does circles around me, first to the right, then the left as I helicopter around keeping him in view.

We leave the ling, and I spot the unmistakable sign of an occupied Octopus den…….Middens! There are crab shells everywhere, all in the same location from an opening underneath a huge rock. Inside is an average sized GPO. This would be the first of 8 Giant Pacific Octopus’ we would encounter on two dives at Octopus hole.

Apparently Joe is now bored, so he makes a game of shining his light on my subject whenever I try to take a picture. I pull back, the light goes away, I try to line up the shot, and the light comes back. Sometimes I want a new dive buddy. One of these days I’m going to lie during our bubble checks, “Uh, dude, you better sit this one out, there’s a LOT of bubbles” (Purge, Purge).

Dive two was pretty much the same, missed the wall, found it again and split up to find a “lost” team member. Mike had his video cam and we should have stuck close to him. Joe and I split up, He went with Shell, I went with H20Doc and we went in opposite directions along the wall. Joe and Shell quickly found Mike, while Chris and I went back to the beginning, turned and made our way back towards the rest of the group. I was uneasy the whole rest of the dive. I knew that Joe, Shell and Mike were together because Chris and I saw all three of them, exchanged a couple of Okays and didn't see them again until we ended our dive. For some reason, once I get that feeling, it's hard for me to relax.

During that dive, we saw all eight GPO’s, One Wolfeel, One Giant Red Dendronotid, and a large school of Striped Perch. It was good to see Shell again, meet Mike and dive a new site. I've never seen so many GPO's in one spot and I wonder where they are getting their crab from. It turned out to be a GREAT day of diving.
Octopus Hole 005.jpg
Octopus Hole 006.jpg
Octopus Hole 030.jpg
Octopus Hole 021.jpg
Octopus Hole 036.jpg
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Joe loves to Dive, and I ain't Lion! :laughing3:
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

Pez7378 wrote:Joe loves to Dive, and I ain't Lion! :laughing3:
..... :vom:

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Great pics, and great report! Enjoyed both!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Awwww that looks awsome! Thanks for posting the reports...sounded like you had a fun time. Could you imagine a night dive with all th octos out in the open? Creepy. I went to Muk...5' vis....no fun.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

I got up bright and early Saturday morning with and drove over to Joes apt to meet for the drive down.. I got there at at 7 am and we had a chat or 2 up satirs and then headed off… We made good time down with no traffic at all and made it to the site. The site is basically the Highway with a small shoulder on the left and across the street to park. MZ ( mike ) had a sign on his car for us club peeps and we all got geared up for the dive…. Down the trail to the water and we swam south and out to drop. Mike was the designated leader because he had done the dive before so we all were going to follow him to the wall. We dropped down in a clear green cold water and vis was a good 40 feet. As we hit bottom and off goes Shelly ( Oregon diver ) zooooom and those whale tale fins are fast!!! Now she didn’t have a computer cause it had some issues so she couldn’t get a depth on where we were. MZ goes and gets her and we are at 72 feet with the sandy floor below us and me wondering why are we so deep when the wall is at 35 feet? It was funny , so now we nav south and come up to depth and there is the starting of the Rock wall.. This dive site is a lot like sund Rock and how the rock/ underwater Cliff looks. On the top of the wall is lots of anaemonies and starfish and shallow life.. The wall is mostly bare with brown silt on it from the flood rains 2 years ago. Lots of small shrimp and those lobster looking guys that always avoid me taking a good camera picture of them. I am paired up with Shelly and Mike, and shelly is a fast moving diver….she goes .. and I had a hard time keeping up with those fins.. I saw 2 large GPO’s in dens…. and there were amazing. Shelly and I tried very had to get a large grey wolf eel out of his den , but he wouldn’t budge. We tempted him with a clam shell, and then a Moon snail, but he was a grumpy old man of the sea. I saw lots of sea cucumbers the red ones and the spotted brown ones.. we did loose shelly on this dive for about 10 mins , but did find her later heading north for our safter stop.. 500 PSI and 52 mins and the first dive is a rap… Back up top to the cars and we get some hot coffe and coco and learn a little more about eachother and why we dive ... Dive 2 back in the water and we drop again ..this time MZ had his camera going and I have a mission to shoot some good pics and get some good footage also of this dive site. Back on the wall and I see the lion head with a GPO under it. Keeping the GPO company is an array of shrimp and small fish that get to snack on the octo’s left overs…. We work our way down the wall again which ranges from 20 feet to 65 feet.. I follow a large crack fissure and its got an array of life living in it, small shrimp, small cod, and those little lobsters , who still wont hold still for a shot… Mz is on a mission for filming and we loose shelly and MZ … Pez and Fishtiq do some underwater talking and Pez and I leave Joe to nav North to find MZ… we swim back to our entry point and cant find him? So we go back south on the wall and eventually find them all again. More octo dens and the dive is really nice on this 2nd tank… I am taking long moments to pause and hover off the wall, its really cool to hover off a wall and look down and see the floor… I use my fins to kick myself in a slow circle taking in all this eye candy.. chris and joe taking pics off the left of me…mike and shelly swimming around the top of the wall shooting video. I am still and calm in this green liquid called Puget sound and I now know why I do this thing called diving, for its these dives that are surreal with seeing the underwater world… Pez and I ended up being together for the rest of the dive and we called it over when I hit 1000 psi for our turn pressure… we nav all the way back to the shore looking at all the life in the shallows.. the floor is covered in clam shells and Oysters.. lots of sea grass and rocks covered in coralline algae…
Octopus Hole had lived up to its name for sure… Lots of them here and they all look very healthy With the nice scenery of Hood canal and the calm flat water, it was well worth the drive to do this site. My only complaint is the silt still all over the place, other than that it was a great dive and a great time with other divers from the Board…
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

mz53480 wrote:Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtxyFRw5QYg
Do you have a prediction for this crab fight?
PAIN! Image

Awesome. Thanks MZ! =D>
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

The MZ official Sign

Shelly thinking am I really going diving with H20doctor???

Chris and Joe staging Dive gear

Joe and Mike enjoying the dive

Chris and Mike

Big bad octo

In the Den

GPO with some Huge suckers !!!

Nice Nudi
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Sockmonkey wrote:Do you have a prediction for this crab fight?
PAIN! Awesome. Thanks MZ! =D>
I totally thought about putting that sound clip in there, but needed more footage of Chris & Joe going at it....
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Nice pics Chris. Vimeo was pretty backed up today, and it took over 3 hours to download this clip of the day. I love the sailfins running for their lives, as the GPO tries to steal my camera!

http://www.vimeo.com/2962482
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

Hey, I want to know where you got those cool blue tubs? Are they collapsible? I want one.
Jenn
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

enchantmentdivi wrote:Hey, I want to know where you got those cool blue tubs? Are they collapsible? I want one.
i got mine here, but i think REI has them too.
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

3227207059_8542980b34.jpg
Damn, that's where I left my powerade! I thought I heard something fall off as I drove away...

MZ
Check out the VIDEOS!
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

***Lingcod sitting on eggs***---amazing that it didn't charge.
So this brings up the question, "How do you prevent a Lingcod sitting on eggs from charging?"

...Take away its credit card!

:laughing3:
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

nwscubamom wrote:...Take away its credit card! :laughing3:
aarrrrggghhhhh!
(nice one... :salute: )
MZ
Check out the VIDEOS!
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Just watched the videos..they are very cool :supz: Keep then coming in the future.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Ya chris Vimeo takes forever to process video..I will have my video up tonight hopefully and we can all see it... Take away his credit card :smt038 that's a good one... My light has a bright quality to it .. LOL
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

H20doctor wrote: My light has a bright quality to it .. LOL
It certainly does. I thought you were gonna melt some of those small octos on our last dive.
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Pez7378 wrote:....Mike had his video cam and we should have stuck close to him....
The video cam was really a scooter in disguise....that's how I got so far in front (no way I could fin fast enough to catch up with oregondiver...i had to cheat!)
MZ
Check out the VIDEOS!
oregondiver
Submariner

Post by oregondiver »

Yea...those force fins rock. I expend very little energy, yet I seem to motor along. Definately fins to consider for anyone who complains of leg cramping!!!

Sorry for being such a speed demon. I TRIED to slow down (once y'all told me I was motoring along too fast). sigh. I even kicked with only one fin/leg for the duration of the dives...

It was a great day to dive...if you are an eskimo. Left my house at 32 degrees. Passed near Olympia and it was 30 degrees. At Octo hole it was 32-34 degrees. The freshwater surface was a balmy 39 degrees as noted by some joker before our first dive. :boxing: Anyone know the temps at depth?

I could go on and on about how great the dive was...but I think it was recapped better by everyone above. What no one else seemed to mention was the kickass girlfriends who took care of us. We came up for our SI and found that Debbie (debby?) and Lisa had gotten hot chocolate and coffee for everyone. Sugars and creamer. Aaaahhhh....bliss! And then we came up after our second dive and they had driven to another store and brought back chips and crackers, cokes and chocolates! Holey crap girls...I loved you!!! Probably one of the best surface intervals I have ever had (excluding ones that involve 80+ temps!).

In my defense about the parking spot...they were doing a video shoot out of the back of some guys pickup. And limited parking at Ocot meant I pulled in behind them. The person filming wasn't interested in moving out of my way, so I sat there for about 2-3 minutes with my car in traffic because I didn't want to run the guy over. He finally moved so I could scoot forward 3 feet (still 8-10ft between back of pick up and my car and then they were upset with me and raised their hands in the air (ie "what the hell dumbass"). Oh well, I seem to piss peeps off wherever I go!

Pez/stiq...where is the pick of the nudi eggs I found? I hadn't seen those before..
Discussing the Whites Fusion: "Looks like you are wearing a startrek leotard with bunched-up undies..." -Airsix

"fins are like shoes....you can never have enough pairs." -Lizard0924
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

oregondiver wrote:...He finally moved so I could scoot forward 3 feet...Oh well, I seem to piss peeps off wherever I go!..
Nah, you're cool. They were crazy south enders....It was really wierd though that they didnt go dive, he just suited up and then left. I asked him what they were filming, and the 1 guy said something about ' for 'worlds toughest jobs' movie series'... then I asked if he was a pro scuba diver... and he said no!
:dontknow:
Check out the VIDEOS!
Kalatin
Dive-aholic

Post by Kalatin »

spatman wrote:
enchantmentdivi wrote:Hey, I want to know where you got those cool blue tubs? Are they collapsible? I want one.
i got mine here, but i think REI has them too.

REI is actually closing them out (both the REI brand and the Seattle Sports brand). They currently have six on clearance at the Seattle store and none in Tacoma. Thanks for the link Spatman, I just ordered two. \:D/
"Another marathon, rush hour trek to foolishly compress myself and risk bodily harm and/or death to look at fishies!!! I love it!" - Casey B.
"The circle of life is a bitch when you're hungry." - Sockmonkey
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

oregondiver wrote:Pez/stiq...where is the pick of the nudi eggs I found? I hadn't seen those before..
Sorry, forgot that.... If you look really close, at the bottom of the eggs where the kelp leaf starts, you can just see the tips of the nudibranch's spikey thingies. Didn't notice until I cropped the picture!

Also, Debbie wanted to tell you it was great to meet everyone, and that she's glad everyone appreciated the cocoa and coffee and whatnot. She's looking forward to getting certified, hopefully this summer, with BDub and Edge. She also says she's willing to race you once she gets her own fins! :fish: :smt065