Mukilteo Suprises Again

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Mukilteo Suprises Again

Post by Fishstiq »

Last night I met up with Pez and Casey for a dive at Mukilteo. Originally it was gonna be a "practice some drills" dive to help Casey prepare for class, but it turned into a pretty casual dive. We swam north into the slight current at first, dropping down to about 70fsw or so to get under the top layer of river runoff. Then Chris found this little guy, the first Horned Shrimp I have ever seen.

We started to continue our swim north, and Chris and Casey turned to go while I snapped off a couple more pictures of the shrimp. So there I was, focusing on the camera screen and trying to hold my light just right, when out of the corner of my eye comes a silver flash moving too fast for me to really focus on. Before I can even react, the silver thing runs straight into the bell housing of my light and then sinks the 3-4 inches to the bottom and just lays there, looking almost stunned. So what was it...?

How cool is that?!?!! I start signaling to Casey and Chris to come and see, and we all check it out for a while before it finally gathers itself and swimms away, disappearing into the darkness.

Shortly after, we turn around and start heading back to the entry point, lazily gliding with a gentle curent. A couple minutes into our return, Casey points out this little guy...

Two Horned Shrimp in one dive after never seeing one before!! Man, this is freakin sweet. We cross over the drainage hose that runs off the dock, stopping to check out some squid eggs, perhaps from the one we saw?

Then we attempted a practice smb deployment, but it didn't go so well. Perhaps when practicing skills it's better to not be on a night dive, so you can see and communicate without blinding one another with dive lights. Oh well, I learned something I didn't know before and now I guess I'm wiser for it.

All in all, a great way to end a week and start the weekend. Casey and Chris, thanks again for a great dive!
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Mukilteo Suprises Again

Post by Tom Nic »

Great pics and great story Joe! Nice work...

That's funny about the squid just sort of knocking itself silly. And the shrimp! Way cool. Still haven't seen one, but with the bazillion shrimp that we've been seeing on every dive one's bound to be out there!

Thanks for telling the story,

-Tom
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Nice shots, Thanks for the Pix and the report
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

Tom Nic wrote:Great pics and great story Joe! Nice work...

That's funny about the squid just sort of knocking itself silly. And the shrimp! Way cool. Still haven't seen one, but with the bazillion shrimp that we've been seeing on every dive one's bound to be out there!

Thanks for telling the story,

-Tom
Actually Tom, I hijacked a page from your book.... You have done some trip reports where you describe the dive and add in pictures, and I thought it gave a real feel for the dive and took the reader through it with you. So this is me trying my hand at doing something similar. I like how it turned out, and hopefully my pictures and storytelling will improve with time and practice!
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Really cool shots of the squid! I saw one by the geodome once I think it changed colors, it was really cool.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Fishstiq wrote:Actually Tom, I hijacked a page from your book.... You have done some trip reports where you describe the dive and add in pictures, and I thought it gave a real feel for the dive and took the reader through it with you. So this is me trying my hand at doing something similar. I like how it turned out, and hopefully my pictures and storytelling will improve with time and practice!
It's working! Keep 'em coming. I'm always glad to see your pictures. With the story it's even better.
-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

airsix wrote:
Fishstiq wrote:Actually Tom, I hijacked a page from your book....
It's working! Keep 'em coming. I'm always glad to see your pictures. With the story it's even better.
-Ben
:notworthy: =D> I am honored sir, and it's definitely working! Yes, keep 'em coming... I love dive stories!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Really nice shots! I saw my first Horned Shrimp at Redondo this past week, they are so bizarre looking!

-Valerie
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Zen Diver 2 wrote:Really nice shots! I saw my first Horned Shrimp at Redondo this past week, they are so bizarre looking!

-Valerie
I haven't seen one yet. :crybaby:
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Thanks to Valerie and her find earlier in the week, when we saw the first one at MUK I knew exactly what it was! Nice pics Joe.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

nice report, joe! i really like that close up of the squid. mmm calamari....