Redondo 11FEB09

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Redondo 11FEB09

Post by Sockmonkey »

Babs, CaseyB, Pez and I met at Redondo last night for a nicely paced tour to the bug and back.

The meet time was at 6:30 but around 5:00 phones rang and txt msgs beeped. When you plan a dive with people with different occupations, disparate locations, and various levels of employment there is often a moment where it isn't clear where the dive see saw will tip. One diver lives far away driving toward his go no-go cross street, one is pulled over on the side of the road deciding if the dive to redondo is worth it and wanting to dive north, another has baked cookies, and me I'm standing in the dive shop getting a fill. I even sent a txt msg saying the dive was canceled at some point... but the one thing that pulled us all together. Jewish Guilt. 60% of the time it works, every time.

As I'm gearing up I looked at Casey and said "Hmm you know I haven't charged my light in 3 dives. Oh it should be fine." I struck it while we were doing our pre-dive checks and chatting in the shallows. On the swim out 10 minutes later... flicker... flicker... %#!&@$ me! Moments earlier I had given Casey my bright LED backup light to use so I was forced to use a combination of Pez's rat jr and my famous poo poo brown scout light. The viz was excellent and it wasn't hard for Casey and I to signal or keep track of each other. There was a kinda funny moment on the surface before descending where backup lights were being passed, eyes poked, nyuk nyuks uttered, and heads were hit by 2x4's.

It was a tough night for me and my camera but I'll post the very few that sorta came out.

It was worm fest '09 at the Dond. I'm not squeamish but they were pretty gross to watch. I tried like heck to get one swimming the water column with video but it looked like crap. Photos in the water column didn't really come out either. I did see one sorta spinning around in the sand chasing its tail:
worm1.JPG
Boy did they dig the HID scene... Pez had the brightest light so naturally he had the most wormy fun.
worm2.JPG
"Hey Pez you were like the octo whisperer tonight."
"No I wasn't. It's Redondo!"
octo1.JPG
octo2.JPG
octo3.JPG
Casey tried cuddling up to this little cutie for a while...
cutie2.JPG
cutie1.JPG
And right before heading back up slope, Casey started rooting around the sand like he was searching for truffles and found another friend camouflaged and half under a leaf.
camo.JPG
The night ended with a very dry Katalin joining us at Salty's for expensive food, good beer, and laughing.

-Eric

(Dusty I'm sorry I didn't see your Redondo post before I left the house #-o)
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Redondo 11FEB09

Post by Tom Nic »

Sockmonkey wrote: I even sent a txt msg saying the dive was canceled at some point... but the one thing that pulled us all together. Jewish Guilt. 60% of the time it works, every time.
Nice report Mr. Monkey!

And I love it that we're applying the Jewish guilt thing to diving... a worthwhile endeavor! :hello2:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I've been seeing a lot of cockscombs at Redondo lately ... more than usual.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Grateful Diver wrote:I've been seeing a lot of cockscombs at Redondo lately ... more than usual.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Me too. My theory is that it's a mating thing. The ones I've seen are WAY brighter colored than the typical pale ones I've seen at other times.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman