Jorstad Creek and Sund Rock...Long post...

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Jorstad Creek and Sund Rock...Long post...

Post by Scubak »

Tim and I woke at O'dark thirty to get on the road on Sunday for a possible dive at Jorstad Creek. If Jorstad wasn't an option then Octo Hole was...but not! Octo Hole was taken up by a class and some very large Trucks and tents on the side of the road from Oregon!!! Dive site HOGS!!!!
Tim has never done Jorstad nor Octo Hole and I haven't done it in at least 4 years...
Jorstad is a bear, to say the least, to get to...
You drive thru Hoodsport and keep on driving till you see the pilings and know the turn out is just up ahead...
Then you have a wonky walk down to the beach. A small trail, up and back. No facilities!
We arrived at about 8:30 am and went down to the beach for a dive briefing...since Tim had never been here I wanted to tell him about the White house across the canal and the 90 degree heading for the wall and rock groupings.
We made it up the trail (don't think about doing this in twins unless you like punishment) and suited up!
Locked the truck up tight and we were diving single 102' that I haven't dived in a couple of years...off we went..
We were going down the trail and all is good till I think to myself, "Watch out for the moist leaves (slippery) and these twigs." and boom, I hit a twig, it snapped and my foot rolled and down I went!!!!!
No worries though...
We made it to the water, took a heading and for some mild chop, headed out...
Dropped down and viz wasn't great but not brilliant as it can sometimes be...
We kept swimming towards our heading, and bumped into a great Rock Grouping...
Saw about 3 Octos...big ones in their Dens...Yippee!!!
Lots of shrimp, no Warbonnets, no Wolf Eel...
Went down to the Bowl/Wall and gave up at 104ft...
Came right back to the entrance to find several people hanging out(gang/group) or unsavory charecters(my impression) and got up the hill and outta there!
Then headed to Sund Rock!!!
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Jorstad Creek and Sund Rock...Long post...

Post by Tom Nic »

Thanks for the report Kirsten. I've never done this site - can you tell us a bit more about it?
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

Tom Nic wrote: I've never done this site - can you tell us a bit more about it?
Hi Tom,

As Kirsten states above, the trail down to Jorsted is very steep and slippery. We only do this site by boat just to avoid the nasty hike back up to the turn-off on highway 101. Jana has a nice dive site map of the site on her web site. The Map shows three of the four walls located at the site. There is another wall (the nicest of the bunch) located about 70 yards north of the trailhead (~ 60' deep). It is pretty easy to find with a boat, and not too bad of a swim for a diver.

This site often gets covered with silt coming off of the creek, so is better in the winter.
Marc
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Marc »

Scott,

Is that the wall that starts at 60 and goes to 90ish?
boydski wrote:
Tom Nic wrote: I've never done this site - can you tell us a bit more about it?
Hi Tom,

As Kirsten states above, the trail down to Jorsted is very steep and slippery. We only do this site by boat just to avoid the nasty hike back up to the turn-off on highway 101. Jana has a nice dive site map of the site on her web site. The Map shows three of the four walls located at the site. There is another wall (the nicest of the bunch) located about 70 yards north of the trailhead (~ 60' deep). It is pretty easy to find with a boat, and not too bad of a swim for a diver.

This site often gets covered with silt coming off of the creek, so is better in the winter.
Reporter: "The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?"

Raikkonen: "It protects my head."
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

Blitz wrote:Scott,

That would be the wall. It's not that long, but is my favorite part of Jorsted. There's usually an Octo parked under the rocks on top of the North Wall.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Scott - thanks for the site briefing - I think I'm going to have to try it this Winter!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Marc
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Marc »

Thanks.... Has to be far easier as a boat dive.... :)

boydski wrote:

That would be the wall. It's not that long, but is my favorite part of Jorsted. There's usually an Octo parked under the rocks on top of the North Wall.
Reporter: "The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?"

gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

Blitz wrote:Thanks.... Has to be far easier as a boat dive.... :)

boydski wrote:

You crack me up Marc. You do Ansell Place in doubles but you think Jorstad should be done by boat!

Honestly, I don't think it's that bad (unless you slip of course). There are certainly far worse sites in this regard.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Blitz wrote:Thanks.... Has to be far easier as a boat dive.... :)

I didn't find it that bad when we did it.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
Marc
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Marc »

I am getting older and wiser.... well... older.

Besides, saving my legs for my next Ansell trips in a month or so. hehehehe

BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I dove this site Once and almost fell backwards :smt119 getting back up the hill. It is that steep!

I would be willing to try it again if the conditions were good.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz: