Keystone challenges & success 2/22/09

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
dieseldude
Extreme Diving Machine

Keystone challenges & success 2/22/09

Post by dieseldude »

Monday night i put together a diveplan for keystone. Tides looked awesome & I've never been able to do the pilings because of current. I got out the tide/current book & the northwest shore dives book & laid it down. Not saying much based on my experience level. Last night I was sweating it. 2 of our 4 person group were with new gear & 3 of 4 less dive experience than me. Was I taking the ones i love to certain doom?? Nothing like waking up to a cloudy day(after it's been sunny for several days)with a belly ache. We hopped in & drove through the overcast & sometimes rainy morning to keystone.
On arrival I sprinted to the restroom(hey it's along drive!)I immediately headed for the water to get a sense of the current.
No raging water in front of the pilings-Woohoo! A little windy & choppy but off to the southeast the sun was breaking though the clouds. A quick prayer to the sun gods & time to gear up.
Diver #1 in a new to her used dry suit that's older than most of my children, bubble check, bubbles from crotch area-no it wasn't gas-she's not that kinda girl! Diver #2 brand new DUI purchased from someone who bought it & never used it. Weight check, more weight,weight check more weight-OK-Diver #1 opts out & goes back to put a wetsuit on for dive 2 & we hit the pilings(3 of us total)Easy swim to the pilings, no current at all. The regular free divers were out there. I admire there grit. Personally I need air!
1st pretty cool siting is unnamed by me(some help here??) but looks like someones nervous system-real nice color
KEYSTONE02222009 001.jpg
Next up was an awesome painted anemone & I believe a clown dorid as long as my foot(ok I have small feet but still, it was big!)
KEYSTONE02222009 002.jpg
KEYSTONE02222009 003.jpg
The pilings didn't let me down-I knew i was missing out-It's a little crampt in there when your trying to stay close to your buddies. I can't wait to come back & burn a whole tank here on macro's. noone told me they had a guard on duty there, I think this is a Great sculpin(please any ID'ers correct me if I'm wrong) He wasn't moving out of my way so I got a pretty good pic
KEYSTONE02222009 006.jpg
The moment of truth was when we came to the northwest end of the pilings-this is where I had the dream about my buddies getting grabbed in the current & swept out to sea & eaten by Nessy's cousin(never eat spicy food before going to bed!)
The current was very light, do I dare,A couple of tech divers(a gear guess) came by & headed the way i planned it. We were off headed for the Jetty-I used mostly depth to keep my heading & checked the compass once in a while. A vey light current picked us up & we glided across the flats. i have to say I expeced it to be barren. It was more like gound cover in a garden.
Lots of cool stuff along the way & more fish than I've seen in the last few weeks. I missed a pic of a small school of fish that were shaped like surf perch but had spots similiar to a female kelp greenling-very cool looking-Lots-o-female kelp greenling by the way & some intimidating Ling's.
KEYSTONE02222009 026.jpg
KEYSTONE02222009 016.jpg
Dive 1 ended with us running right into the jetty as I had planned it out-WooHoo! Belly ache gone! Awesome dive & had air to spare. I should mention that along the way Diver #2 gave me the universal "my hands are cold & it's your fault" signal(anyone figured out that diver #2 is my wife yet??)
After a fin assist at shore & peeling the gear off we found the wrist seals on our used DUI were a little too loose from the previous owner-no dive 2 for diver #2-We'll be adding some DC drygloves to this unit so I don't get in any more trouble.

Dive 2 was no less entertaining-2 wetsuit divers & 1 dry-this was an out & back on the Jetty-My husband & wife buddies are notorious for not staying together so when I saw the wife wide eyed & shoulders shrugging, I knew hubby was gone. I was the lead dog here so i flashed my light back towards shore as a beacon-you all know the drill-1 minute-noones home-up we went-no hubby on the surface-Honey is starting to hyperventilate now cause lead dog killed her husband(damn I was in trouble on the last dive!)Appx 3 REALLY long minutes later he came up. mask kept flooding-had hair under the top. honey fixed hubby's hair & took a few minutes to calm down. We dropped again & had a semi normal dive. I think everyone learned something here today. I found some cool onion rings which I now know to be Nudi eggs
KEYSTONE02222009 019.jpg
Anyone know what this guy is?
KEYSTONE02222009 013.jpg
I saw a leopard Dorid but he was facing the wrong way & upside down & if you read this far your head hurts already so i won't show you the pic.
There was this grumpy guy who was urchin me to ask the sea lemon what kinda tiny nudi this was was but the lemon didn't know-Do any of you?
KEYSTONE02222009 035.jpg
KEYSTONE02222009 011.jpg
KEYSTONE02222009 038.jpg
KEYSTONE02222009 040.jpg
Fair winds, calm seas, & good vis to you all. Dieseldude(despite it all) had a good day :occasion5:
" What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Re: Keystone challenges & success 2/22/09

Post by Jan K »

Glad you enjoyed Keystone, my favorite spot. I did couple dives there on Friday - nobody there, Saturday was a different story, lots of divers. So I did Pilings to get away from crwds, had a great dive, as usual, The first shot is a Red Sea Cucumber Cucumaria miniata, the fish you ask about is Great sculpin Myoxocephalus polyacanthocephalus. :supz:
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Biodiversity_Guy
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Biodiversity_Guy »

Thanks for your fun and detailed write-up. As far as IDs go, I think your first guard might be a buffalo sculpin and your unknown (Anyone know what this guy is?) a great sculpin,
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

The first fish is a buffalo not a great sculpin, The one below him is a male kelpy. The yellow nudie is a Monterey sea lemon and the bottom one is a flabellina verrucosa.

Bio guy we must have been typing at the same time
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Great write up!
Thanks,
One of these days Tim and I have to get up there.
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Fantastic write up, great story teller!
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**