tacoma narrows

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

tacoma narrows

Post by Burntchef »

got a call from josh last friday wanting to know if i was down to do a quick work dive with uas, the dive was to be on the stanctions of the new bridge. i was happy to help with the fisheries project and a chance to dive something that is normally off limits added to the appeal. we met in tacoma the next morning and randy williams and rob wilson was allready there, we waited for the other boat to show up and divided into teams. myself and josh- randy and rob- and 2 other divers i dont remember. rob and randy were on one boat with the four of us on the other, we motored out, geared up and went to work.

what we were doing was placing new fish sensors on some attatching points on the stanctions. the sensors themselves are placed in big plastic boxes with a freaking huge heavy shackles on each side. josh had did this dive on friday with bj so he explained what we would be doing and how to do it. i am sorry to say though that we were not able to fix the box in as the spot that was picked did not have 2 points for the shackles but the other teams got theres done.

i will let josh add some details of the project. but added some pics.
Last edited by Burntchef on Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Re: tacoma narrows

Post by Burntchef »

Attachments
narrows bridge 014.jpg
narrows bridge 013.jpg
narrows bridge 001.jpg

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

Attachments
narrows bridge 020.jpg
narrows bridge 017.jpg

BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Nice, guys.

We did that a year or so ago for UAS, but we did it a little north of the bridge, not on the bridge......lucky bastards!

What kind of profiles did you guys run?
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

BDub wrote:Nice, guys.

We did that a year or so ago for UAS, but we did it a little north of the bridge, not on the bridge......lucky bastards!

What kind of profiles did you guys run?

These were shallow- the previous day, BJ and I set one at 94 fsw. Howard and I were unable to find adequate anchor points the next day at, I think, 60 fsw. Both were definitely no deco dives.

The funny thing was that after BJ and I surfaced on day 1, they asked us what depth we had mounted them at-

(Simultaneously)
BJ: "94 feet!"
Me:"64 feet!"

(We looked at eachother quizically)

The funny thing was, BJ and I had looked at eachother as we were gearing up, and had the following conversation:

BJ: "I'm not gonna bother with my backup bottom timer or compass."
Me: "Oh, me, either! We won't need 'em for this kind of dive!"

So, we didn't have any way of proving whose computer was hosed.

Turns out, it was mine. (I think I owe BJ a few beers due to a small wager over who was right....)

It was really cool doing these dives- I learned a lot about working underwater. Every simple thing you can do on dry land is 278% harder if you're diving. Those sensors have some weight to them- so, as we started to descend, we had to overinflate our BCs and drysuits- when we got to the anchor points, and were able to let go of the silly thing for a second, after we rested it on the Steel flange we were going to anchor it to, we (one at a time, because someone has to keep a hand on it!) became positively buoyant, had to vent, and so on. Then, when you grab a tool like a scraper, clipped off to your harness, you have nowhere to put it down- it has to be re-clipped, if you need to do something like unscrew the shackle.....anyway, what would normally have taken minimal effort, and just a couple of minutes in my shop, diveway, or backyard, turns into a pretty involved,complex, evolution, underwater. I was pretty glad to be doing this with 2 guys who I know and trust, because I've dived with them a lot! Thanks, BJ and Howard!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Yeah i was a pretty fun day, and an interesting task at hand. I found it crazy hard to swim into the mild current on the surface with this open box (as in pictures posted above) each holding a shackle and kicking and kicking and I swear the stantion was getting farther away. When we finally reached it Josh was ready to descend (damn CCr's ) I on the other hand had to catch my breath before going under. I was diving 29% air and was very comfortable working and we were defiantly working.

I enjoyed diving this masive wall and we even saw a beautiful red Irish Lord and a Shaggy Mouse. that added to my dive and was just the icing on the cake for a unique experience.

Thanks guys
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

when we finally got the box rested on the ledge i removed the shackle and tried to get it onto the steel support but it just wouldnt fit even after scraping it, so i used the pin to hammer it on and after a few strikes i looked at josh who signals me to use the non threaded end #-o , well after beating on that thing for a few minutes it was obvious it was a no go. i placed the shackle back on the box, screwed in the pin and we made our joint ascent since it taked 2 people to handle that thing. hopefully i get a invite to go back, it was fun and unique.

BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Awesome reports, guys.

It certainly doesn't make things easier when you have the fear of god in you about losing or dropping the sensor!

I brought several extra double enders with me, along with quite a few zip ties in my wetnotes. After we detached it, I rigged the sensor like a stage bottle. When we surfaced, the first thing Bob said said was "You made sure you weren't gonna lose that, didn't you?"...my response..."F NO!"
Last edited by BDub on Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Maverick wrote:Yeah i was a pretty fun day, and an interesting task at hand. I found it crazy hard to swim into the mild current on the surface with this open box (as in pictures posted above) each holding a shackle and kicking and kicking and I swear the stantion was getting farther away. When we finally reached it Josh was ready to descend (damn CCr's ) I on the other hand had to catch my breath before going under. I was diving 29% air and was very comfortable working and we were defiantly working.

I enjoyed diving this masive wall and we even saw a beautiful red Irish Lord and a Shaggy Mouse. that added to my dive and was just the icing on the cake for a unique experience.

Thanks guys
ok, who hijacked Mav's account? only three typos? has to be an imposter.
jackieg
Amphibian

Post by jackieg »

Hm...I thought I sensed a familiar presence on the water last week. Thanks for the report!
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

spatman wrote:
Maverick wrote:Yeah i was a pretty fun day, and an interesting task at hand. I found it crazy hard to swim into the mild current on the surface with this open box (as in pictures posted above) each holding a shackle and kicking and kicking and I swear the stantion was getting farther away. When we finally reached it Josh was ready to descend (damn CCr's ) I on the other hand had to catch my breath before going under. I was diving 29% air and was very comfortable working and we were defiantly working.

Thanks guys
ok, who hijacked Mav's account? only three typos? has to be an imposter.
:boxing:
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

If you were diving 29% air, what is the other 71%? :smt064
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Pez7378 wrote:If you were diving 29% air, what is the other 71%? :smt064
Good question! Let me know the answer on that one, as I want to try it out sometime.
(Would helium qualify? But then thinking about it.....that would make the O2 content in the "air" to only be ~6%, so unless he was deep diving...... :dontknow: )
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Great report guys! :notworthy:

Thanks for telling the story.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

<lookAtMe>I wonder if those sensors were from Hydroacoustic Technologies (HTI). If so, they're probably the ones that I built a few years back. We had an order from the State, that had to be fulfilled. I built every single one of them, while going to college.</lookAtMe>

D(B)
Romer Treece
Pelagic

Post by Romer Treece »

Thanks again to you all for stepping in and ruling it!! Wish I could have been with ya, but two weeks prior of Vit C, Echinacea, lot's of rest, wasn't enough to stop the 102 fever!! :vom: