Friday Feb 27th at Onamac Point

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Friday Feb 27th at Onamac Point

Post by pensacoladiver »

Got out of work early today and managed to persuade my dive buddy to splash the boat and run over to Onamac point. Its only about a 6 mile run so it is perfect for the quick afternoon trip. His spear gun came in today so he was not a hard sell to go. I was just a bit apprehensive getting in the water with him though.

As there were only 2 of us, I intended on going one at a time, but noticed there was zero current and decided to leave the boat "dead" and go together. As usual, I was the first in...if my buddy reads this (we will call him Phil), he will be pissed. I was hanging on the anchor line when I heard Phil splash. After about 10 seconds, I don't see him at the front of the boat. So like a concerned dive buddy, I call to him, and he is at the back of the boat??? Seems Phil backflipped off the side of the boat and realized his hands were cold... Doh, that happens when you forget to put your gloves on!!! Now my boat only has 1 step on the ladder and to Phils credit, he pulled himself out of the water and into the boat with full gear on to get his gloves. :naka:

I assume that act wore him out though because it was at least 5 minutes before I heard him splash again. So, down the anchor line we go. Phil had a flashing beacon and his job was to put the beacon 5 feet up the anchor line from the bottom (we have not done this before and wanted to see how it worked). I didnt make it to the anchor (i saw something at the 40 foot mark and went that a way towards it)... did I mention Phil had a spear gun... hahaha

40 or so minutes later, I make my way back to the anchor line and it is a mess around all the concrete blocks and pipes. Phil sure as hell put that light on it though!!! :angryfire:

In my 40 minutes of tooling around, I saw numerous rockfish (huge ones), 2 were all red/pink colored. Never seen those before. I also saw the biggest Ling Cod I have ever seen. It was 6 inches away and spooked me pretty bad. The reef was incredible. Large amounts of vertical relief from the concrete and critters in every nook and cranny. Vis was not as good as Gedney Island reef and I'm sure I didnt make my way around the whole reef. Sandy bottom, so need to be nice and easy or things will brown out quick. Very good dive and could even be done from the shore if you knew where to hop in (about a hundred yard swim from the beach).

I also found a 15 pound downrigger weight complete with release clip. Now come hell or highwater, I am bringing that thing to the surface to sell on Ebay (it is listed there by the way, under the same username as on here) \:D/

When I got to the anchor line (mess), I untangled it and pulled it to a "clear place".. as best I could with a 15 pound weight in my goody bad.

Up the line, Phils getting in the boat. Phil tells me about the "Perch" he shot. I says "let me see" at which time he realizes he has "lost his bag". So apparently, at Onamac Point, there is a yellow goody bag on the bottom with a perch in it. HAHAHA. I cant even begin to speculate why he would have left his bag on the bottom.

Now, like a dumbass, I assumed the anchor would come up clear. I completely strip out of the dry suit and break the gear down. You know what comes next... anchor is stuck!!! HARD. I tried every trick in the book short of ripping the cleat off the bow with no joy.

Back into the dry suit I go. when I hit bottom, I saw there was no way I was getting that anchor out from the surface. It was wrapped everywhere??? I freed it and gave it a few tugs and Phil pulled it up liked a rocket. So much for my free ride back to the surface. Free ascent and Phil is right there with the boat waiting on me. I didnt see his goodie bag while I was down there either!!!! hmmm???

All in all, great day. I kid Phil to the breaking point, but I could not ask for a better dive partner.

Cheers,
Chad
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: Friday Feb 27th at Onamac Point

Post by spatman »

great report, chad! sounds like you had an fun time, even with a buddy like phil. :smt064

those red rockfish are called Vermillion Rockfish.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Could you please post the GPS position for that Reef on camano..I tried to dive it last summer and we couldn't find it at all.. I've heard its a great reef with tons to see and its a Big site.. Thank you.. I want to dive it again this up and coming Ling season.
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
4ster
Dive-aholic

Post by 4ster »

The reef is on the north side of Onamac point, draw a line due north from the Onamac light and you should just about be on the west end of the reef. It runs in a NE direction parallel to shore. Depths are about 40 to over 70 feet.
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

N48 11.143 W122 32.291

That put me right on top of it. Shows up pretty good on the bottom finder also. We were diving at low tide and bottom was around 55 feet.

Chad
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Ok thanks guys ..would it be possible to plan a dive with you guys there and I could drive to the launch and stage gear on the shore and have you take me out ??? I am more interested in diving there .. Than Hunting.. Like I stated above I missed seeing it last summer
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

would it be possible to plan a dive with you guys there and I could drive to the launch and stage gear on the shore and have you take me out ???

Absolutely!!! It is a great afternoon dive for me and I will splash the boat whenever I can to head out that way. I am thinking of going fishing there tomorrow for a bit.

Send me an email and I'll give you my contaqct info.

Chad