Octo....Octopus HOOOOOLE

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Jenbowes
Amphibian

Octo....Octopus HOOOOOLE

Post by Jenbowes »

Matt and I went to Octopus Hole today, and probably the MOST exciting thing for me was that it was my 10th dive. That's right! I've moved into double digits! I'm VERY excited, which is why the subject line should be sung, when you read it.

We went to the shallow wall and saw tons of stuff, including an octopus crammed under/in a rock. The crabs were probably my favorites on this dive, and there were plenty of them, all different varieties. I'd love to tell you WHICH varieties, but that would mean that I was someone smarter than me and/or that I had a book to reference. Which I DO...but it's at Matt's house, because it's his.

The current on the way back to the beach kind of sucked, but it was no Day Island Wall! Or so I'm told, since I haven't been there yet.

The worst part of Octopus Hole? The "stairs" - and I use that term liberally, in much the same way that I would call a ski-tow rope an "escalator" or a youth hostel a "5-star hotel". There are "stair-like" structures at the top, but then it's lined with rocks, perhaps designed to act as stairs ... perhaps designed to slide you down to the beach. Not UN-FUNCTIONAL, but perilous and difficult. I told Matt I was afraid I was going to pull a Lynne, but apparently she was watching over us from afar, because we didn't.

I'm to tell you that the following pictures were not taken by Matt, but that I took the camera of a dead diver that I found. FYI, I called 911 and THEN DAN, but I hung up before reporting it, once I realized that I could've gotten busted for theft.
The Octopus' eye
The Octopus' eye
A crab that reminds me of Pepe from The Muppets Tonight
A crab that reminds me of Pepe from The Muppets Tonight
The lion
The lion
Sea Urchin (the only photo Matt liked from today)
Sea Urchin (the only photo Matt liked from today)
I don't know .... educate me!!
I don't know .... educate me!!
Anyway, a great day, despite the weather, and a great site, despite the Lynne's Lament descent!
Last edited by Jenbowes on Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:partyman: This is my favorite smiley!!

CAKE IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: Octo....Octopus HOOOOOLE

Post by Dusty2 »

Glad to see you having such fun.

Pepe is a squat lobster, and the white thingy at the bottom could be either a white sea cumber or a pale sea cumber but since I can only count 8 arms I have to say it's a White and that is a good shot on the urchin
Jenbowes
Amphibian

Post by Jenbowes »

Pepe is a squat lobster,
I should have said "crustacean", instead, so that I didn't look quite as silly. Crab-like? Ah well.

Thanks for the clarification Dusty! :bounceline:

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Nice report Jen, and congrats on double digits! Woo Hoo! :boucegreen:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Jenbowes wrote:I'm to tell you that the following pictures were not taken by Matt, but that I took the camera of a dead diver that I found. FYI, I called 911 and THEN DAN, but I hung up before reporting it, once I realized that I could've gotten busted for theft.

:laughing3:
Actually- it all depends on whether or not said camera was physically attached to the diver by means of a retractor or lanyard of some kind. If so, it's the property of the deceased. If it's merely clutched in their stiff, cold hands, and can be prised free, or lying next to the body, then it's considered marine salvage, and you can help yourself. (Which is the real reason most of us carry cable cutters or shears. Just sayin'.)
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Jenbowes wrote: FYI, I called 911 and THEN DAN...
:breakdance:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Jenbowes
Amphibian

Post by Jenbowes »

Jenbowes wrote:I'm to tell you that the following pictures were not taken by Matt, but that I took the camera of a dead diver that I found. FYI, I called 911 and THEN DAN, but I hung up before reporting it, once I realized that I could've gotten busted for theft.

Actually- it all depends on whether or not said camera was physically attached to the diver by means of a retractor or lanyard of some kind. If so, it's the property of the deceased. If it's merely clutched in their stiff, cold hands, and can be prised free, or lying next to the body, then it's considered marine salvage, and you can help yourself. (Which is the real reason most of us carry cable cutters or shears. Just sayin'.)
Hmmm...getting me some o' those cable cutters!

Also, thanks to everyone for interacting with my infantile and naive reports - I'm just so excited to be able to put up stuff from my dives, because I'm new. So, how to make "I saw a crab! Which apparently wasn't a crab!" sound interesting to those who saw, recognized, and removed an invasive species, interacted with their 1000th GPO, and successfully maneuvered an intricate cave system in order to photograph the rare and elusive plectonomous squid (that's not a word, by the way, in case you didn't know)?

... I can't!

"I went diving! It was great! I'm still NEW!"

Think of it like your 6 year old bringing home their art from school. My reports and photos should go on the fridge with a magnet.

Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Jenbowes wrote:

Hmmm...getting me some o' those cable cutters!

Also, thanks to everyone for interacting with my infantile and naive reports - I'm just so excited to be able to put up stuff from my dives, because I'm new. So, how to make "I saw a crab! Which apparently wasn't a crab!" sound interesting to those who saw, recognized, and removed an invasive species, interacted with their 1000th GPO, and successfully maneuvered an intricate cave system in order to photograph the rare and elusive plectonomous squid (that's not a word, by the way, in case you didn't know)?

... I can't!

"I went diving! It was great! I'm still NEW!"

Think of it like your 6 year old bringing home their art from school. My reports and photos should go on the fridge with a magnet.

Man- I tried to pin your trip report to the fridge with a magnet, but when I finally founda magnet strong enough to do the job, it did something weird to my laptop.....not to mention the fact that I had to cut my dog out of her collar when the magnet grabbed her rabies tags.....

Jen, even us crusty old barnacles love to read trip reports like yours- your enthusiasm and sense of wonder is very refreshing, and reminds us of our first dives. Please keep posting!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

And...your crab was a crab. A squat lobster isn't a lobster but rather a crab! A Galathid Crab (not sure about the spelling).
Jenbowes
Amphibian

Post by Jenbowes »

And...your crab was a crab. A squat lobster isn't a lobster but rather a crab! A Galathid Crab (not sure about the spelling).
... I should stop speaking.

Why do they call it a LOBSTER then?

gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

Jenbowes wrote:

It looks a little like one!
Jenbowes
Amphibian

Post by Jenbowes »

gcbryan wrote:
Jenbowes wrote:

It looks a little like one!
#-o

Well, I look a little like an overstuffed sausage in my wetsuit, but you wouldn't call me that!

At least, not to my FACE, you don't!!
:boxer:

kat
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by kat »

at least you got the right kind of critter, i would have said crawdad :uh:

and in my head, your tagline was a mexican soccer whatever it is. caller, stater of plays, exciterer, you know the word i am looking for...
"As long as you get everything tucked into your pants, you are good to go." -wasp7000
Jenbowes
Amphibian

Post by Jenbowes »

KAT! How go the Honduras trip plans? ;-)

Are you thinking a ref? And what specifically about Mexican Soccer was striking you?

Sockmonkey asked if I was taking it from A Fish Called Wanda, when Kevin Kline drives and yells out "Asss hooooole!"

It's not. I meant it like a sing song or a happy yell. Hmmm. Maybe like the Mexican Soccer Referee! Why not?!

BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Jenbowes wrote: I'm to tell you that the following pictures were not taken by Matt, but that I took the camera of a dead diver that I found. FYI, I called 911 and THEN DAN, but I hung up before reporting it, once I realized that I could've gotten busted for theft.
:smt119 :yipes: :lalala: :nervous: :uh: :pacing: Quick! Hide the evidence :jason:!

Stupid Chainsaw! :tappingfoot: Won't start underwater! :der:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Jenbowes
Amphibian

Post by Jenbowes »

Stupid Chainsaw! :tappingfoot: Won't start underwater! :der:
Yeah! And a manual saw rips the snot out of my gear!

:crybaby: