Open Water Day 1, Cove 2

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Re: Open Water Day 1, Cove 2

Post by Paulicarp »

Nwbrewer wrote:I think my BNL (Blood Nitrogen Level) is approaching critical levels of off-gassing.
no worries- there's a cure for that! Edge and I going to try to do dive 5 tomorrow... you've got a legitimate reason to take a sick day- Hyperbaric Therapy! \:D/
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Paulicarp wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:I think my BNL (Blood Nitrogen Level) is approaching critical levels of off-gassing.
no worries- there's a cure for that! Edge and I going to try to do dive 5 tomorrow... you've got a legitimate reason to take a sick day- Hyperbaric Therapy! \:D/
Hopefully I will be receiving therapy this afternoon. \:D/

Have fun tomorrow, looking forward to the report!
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

thread drift..

snorkels are great for power snorkeling... with scooters!!! :) Snorkel, harness, cuda/sierra, no weights = WAY FUN! Fun to be able to leave your head in the water and look down at stuff flying by at a few hundred fpm :)

For those of you stuck on surface for what ever reason, you might consider pulling out your scooter and trying it... Takes some of the sting out of being surfaced (as opposed to grounded?)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

girldiver wrote:
But the snorkel... I was so afraid I wouldn't be able to blast the water out, I went to the pool before my OW class and practiced snorkeling. I'm not sure why we teach snorkeling as a required skill. And the one I've never understood is the surface swim with a snorkel...then without raising your head from the water, switch from your snorkel to your regulator. Like, who does that in real life?????
We were swimming regularly at the Y before we took our OW and the masks and snorkels made that a lot more fun. As for the switch from snorkel to regulator thing, I couldn't agree more. That was one of the main things that defeated my middle daughter's attempt at her first OW dive (she never finished the course; for the record, she's also bipolar and weighs in excess of 400 pounds and was also having trouble with mobility in her rented wetsuit). Between the mouthful of water and the salt taste she couldn't handle it. She loves using her snorkel in the pool, though.

As I said, I like to use my snorkel for surface swims, because just below the surface is where we've seen some of the coolest jellyfish and stuff. Others' mileage obviously varies, and that's cool.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

ljjames wrote:thread drift..

snorkels are great for power snorkeling... with scooters!!! :) Snorkel, harness, cuda/sierra, no weights = WAY FUN! Fun to be able to leave your head in the water and look down at stuff flying by at a few hundred fpm :)

For those of you stuck on surface for what ever reason, you might consider pulling out your scooter and trying it... Takes some of the sting out of being surfaced (as opposed to grounded?)
no cert needed...scary. But I'm kind of ashamed I didn't think of that! :calvin:
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Paulicarp wrote:

no cert needed...scary. But I'm kind of ashamed I didn't think of that! :calvin:

this is how i peaked my boyfriends interest in possibly getting his cert up here... hes already stolen my CUDA and nags me about going more!
----
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

Entertaining post Paul. It wasn't until after my OW classes were over that I realized that you can swim on the surface on your back. I think that's the last time I swam on the surface face down and yes the last time I used a snorkel for scuba diving as well!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

My first reaction to this was, "Why didn't someone suggest this to me a month ago?" And my second reaction was that getting salt water up my nose at that point probably wasn't a good idea, on the surface or otherwise :)
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

are you full on diving again? Or still limited?
----
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

ljjames wrote:are you full on diving again? Or still limited?
She's BACK!! :bday:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

LCF wrote:And my second reaction was that getting salt water up my nose at that point probably wasn't a good idea, on the surface or otherwise :)
I've had a couple of sinus surgeries, and the docs were always telling me to do saline rinses.
And, if you're wearing a mask, you won't get any "saline rinses."
So, what's the freaking problem, again? :)
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Joshua Smith wrote:
LCF wrote:And my second reaction was that getting salt water up my nose at that point probably wasn't a good idea, on the surface or otherwise :)
I've had a couple of sinus surgeries, and the docs were always telling me to do saline rinses.
You used sterile saline. The Sound isn't sterile, and one of the medias microbiologists culture and grow specimens on is blood-based... and there has got to be a fair amount of residual blood in there from the fractures.

A dark, warm, moist, place with plenty of food... :eek:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Yeah, I've been sitting here ever since my experimental dive at Edmonds on Tuesday, waiting to see what exotic kind of sinusitis I'm going to brew in there. So far, so good, but I haven't given up worrying yet.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Sounder wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:I've had a couple of sinus surgeries, and the docs were always telling me to do saline rinses.
You used sterile saline. The Sound isn't sterile, and one of the medias microbiologists culture and grow specimens on is blood-based... and there has got to be a fair amount of residual blood in there from the fractures.

A dark, warm, moist, place with plenty of food... :eek:
...and the award for "Missing the Joke" goes to: :angry:

:thumb3d:
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Sounder wrote:A dark, warm, moist, place with plenty of food
And, really, isn't that what everyone is looking for?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by smike »

Wow, shoulda read this before I posted http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=8043.

Imagine power snorkeling.... Hmmm.
Behold, the King reigns! You are his publicity agents. Therefore advertise, advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom.
cklenk
Frequent Bubbler

Post by cklenk »

girldiver wrote:When I first started diving, I'd already been in a pool with scuba equip on. So, I knew I could get air underwater.

But the snorkel... I was so afraid I wouldn't be able to blast the water out, I went to the pool before my OW class and practiced snorkeling. I'm not sure why we teach snorkeling as a required skill. And the one I've never understood is the surface swim with a snorkel...then without raising your head from the water, switch from your snorkel to your regulator. Like, who does that in real life?????

Paul...GREAT article. I wish more first time divers would write their feelings and experiences down. Great read...and funny too! (Can I use the microbursts and farts skill in my next class???)
Re: Der Shnorkel ist vershtinken! Ptuuuiiieee!!

Ah yes, the snorkel! Well, I have yet to do my OW dives that don't cause extreme chlorine damage to my hair, and I have already come to, if not loath, at least not be a real fan of that device! As you can sorta tell from the avatar pic, I have fairly long hair..... We were doing full mask removal fun fun fun in the "confined water", and so I dutifully removed my mask, and was quietly contemplating the solitude of bubble sounds, till my instructor gave me the OK, put it back on.... so I did....... sorta..... except that &^%$ snorkel keeper thingybob had gotten caught in my hair! So there I am, with my mask floating/dangling off to me' side, and totally caught up in my hair from the snorkel keeper whosit. I held the mask and cleared it and tried to undo my hair to get the strap back around my head! The more I fiddled around, the more it got tangled up! So now I'm on the bottom of the pool, with my arms crossed, laughing with my reg in my mouth, and Randy is now laughing as well. So there I am, not even finished with my pool sessions and Iv'e already battled the ^%$# snorkel (well the snorkel keeper doohickee anyway) :smt119 I mean...you never see Steve Zissou with a snorkel!!!
cklenk
Frequent Bubbler

Post by cklenk »

Paulicarp wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:
Paulicarp wrote:
girldiver wrote: (Can I use the microbursts and farts skill in my next class???)
I thought it was just a DIR skill, but hey, diving is diving. I say go for it! :roll:
There are no DIR skills. Skills are skills. Good buoyancy is good buoyancy. I think too much stuff gets labeled as a "DIR skills" by people to lazy to learn to do it.
easy there big fella! It was just a little joke. let's not start a flame war with microbursts and farts...or microbursts of flaming farts...hey, there's a funny picture!

Yeah! Wow Paul,
no one wants a fiendishly foul flaming flatulence fiesta! :neener:
LOL
Whew!
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

I found that a neoprene mask strap was much easier to manipulate than the traditional silicone/rubber mask strap. I can only imagine that it would be easier on long hair. Of course in OW your hair will be constrained by a hood.

As for a snorkel, I carry a folding snorkel Image in a pocket on most dives and only swap for a traditional snorkel when I plan on a long swim. I got mine online http://tdl.divebiz.net/index.php?main_p ... _id=102536.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
cklenk
Frequent Bubbler

Post by cklenk »

renoun wrote:I found that a neoprene mask strap was much easier to manipulate than the traditional silicone/rubber mask strap. I can only imagine that it would be easier on long hair. Of course in OW your hair will be constrained by a hood.

As for a snorkel, I carry a folding snorkel Image in a pocket on most dives and only swap for a traditional snorkel when I plan on a long swim. I got mine online http://tdl.divebiz.net/index.php?main_p ... _id=102536.
Oh you are So right about the neoprene strap! Its wunderbar (compared to the silicone of course) I'm hoping to get rid of the snorkel and the eeeevveeel shnorkel keeper hair muncher/twister/tangler-upper as soon as I possibly can. I think they tried snorkels on submarines and they didn't work there either! However it is a funny/fun word - that one can use to great effect like "find me a shrubbery ... or I shall say Snorkel!! ! snorkel snorkel snorkel snorkel!! Ni! Ni! No not Ni!! snorkel!!" Thus spake the Knights who formerly said Ni! But now say SNORKEL!!

I shall take careful and copious notes of my first foray's into non-chlorinated water (I have now shared my chlorinated travails with you) for the mirth, amazement and stupendification of my fellow NWDC members - :grouphug:
'Taa Dahlinks!
Cindy
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

So when are your OW dives?
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Great report Paulicarp! =D>
I used to have a nice TUSA snorkle that could roll up and fit into a pocket. I too have since not used a snorkle beyond my Rescue Diver training. I have one that I found up in Sitka AK, about 60 fsw with a nice Mares Mask. :supz:

cklenk, looking fwd to reading about your up and coming adventures.

It's reports like these, that keep us all remembering what it was like being a new diver here in the Sound.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
cklenk
Frequent Bubbler

Post by cklenk »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:So when are your OW dives?
June 2nd ish
Mia
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by Mia »

Hey Little Bro -
I am SOOOO proud of you! Great post, and congrats on passing your cert this weekend! I can't wait to get my cert so we can dive together and I can be your entertainment value of the day!
Mia :clap:
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Mia!
Welcome to the club, future diver! :supz:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz: