Magic day in So Cal

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
ldevore
Compulsive Diver

Magic day in So Cal

Post by ldevore »

As many of you know, my partner and I commute between the lovely PNW and So Cal. Well this weekend was a So.Cal weekend, so we decided to hop on a boat for some diving. We chose the Magician out of San Pedro because: 1) it had open spots; 2) they offer Nitrox, and; 3) we had heard good things about the boat. It turns out that the reputation was deserved. Although not as nice the Peace (departs out of Ventura), the boat was well run, and crew very nice and helpful. We would dive with them again.

…but on to the important stuff, the diving…

Well, with the exception of us, and one other couple, the boat was full of OW students from Sports Chalet. As a result the dives were pretty easy and very shallow (20’). This worked out well for us, since Barb was testing a new dry suit (which turned out to not be dry at all) and this was her first time diving after knee surgery. Of course, it is always nice to be around the enthusiasm of new divers (including one 10 year old, who got certified today and celebrated by seeing how far he could spray a shaken up pop can). We got 3 dives in (kudos to Barb for diving it with sopping wet undergarments), and enjoyed the kelp forest and its inhabitants. The lobsters were very aware that “bug season” was over and were very much out and about. I loved looking at the rainbow wrasse dart around, and since we were so shallow, their colors were brilliant Viz was about 30’, not great for down here, but marvelous after what we’ve had lately in the Puget Sound (although it does sound like the viz is starting to turn around)….and the water temperature was a balmy 61!!!! I haven’t been so warm diving in a LONG time.

Here are a couple of pics!

See you guys next weekend for some diving back in the PNW. :fish:

Lauri
Attachments
Kelp Forest
Kelp Forest
Garibaldi
Garibaldi
BDub
I've Got Gills

Re: Magic day in So Cal

Post by BDub »

Awesome Lauri. Barb did 3 dives huh (with wet undergarments)? Nothing like jumping right back into it, eh? Great to hear her knee is recovering nicely.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Purdy fishy! :smt038

Looks like fun... thanks for posting the report and pics.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

My hat's off to Barb. Wet undergarments have made me scrub a CAVE dive!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames