CoCo View Resort

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

CoCo View Resort

Post by DiverBob »

My wife, Julie, and I spent an amazing week at this resort in Roatan from the 2-9 of May. We flew down on Continental with 1 stop in Houston. I will say that I was impressed with them. All flights were on time and no issues with checked bags. Customer service was also very good. We arrived in Roatan about noon and was greeted with all airport employees wearing masks! Looked awful hot to us. We had to fill out a form, in Spanish, declaring that we were Swine Flue free! After customs, we grabbed a couple of cold Port Royals and joined a group of folks on the van to the resort. It was sticky, hot and the sun was shinning brightly! We were very happy and looking forward to wonderful week of diving. We stayed in Beach house #4, which is a short bike ride from the resort. Accommodations were wonderful. All meals take place in the club house and are buffet style. The food was tasty and plentiful. We were unable to dive the first day because all newbies have to do an orientation dive that is done the following morning. Kind of a bummer because we lost at least one dive on Saturday. No worries, we grabbed our snorkel gear and was able to get a look at what they call the front yard. The next morning we did our briefing and orientation dive to the Prince Albert and were shown how to get to both walls that make up the front yard, and then back to the resort. The P.A. is a freighter that was sunk for divers in the channel in front of the resort. All boat dives are done from 50 ft boats with a flat bottom on the inside and a moon well, or window, that is located in the center of the boat. This works very well in rough water and we used it often. The resort is on the windward side and seas can get rough. The most divers we had was about 12 to 14 on the first day. By the end of the week, less than 10 per dive. One DM and a boat captain. They were fantastic and made all of our boat dives easy and fun. The boat went out in the morning between 8 and 9, depending on the dive site. The second boat left after lunch at 2. 2 dives were possible on each boat ride. The diving here is fantastic! Water temp was 79 and viz was at least 100 ft! Viz could get very low in the channel at times, but was always good at the dive sites. We did and all day trip on Wednesday to the West End which is about 1 1/2 hour boat ride from the resort. Diving here was the best! A slight drift and several Turtles on every dive. Highly recommended if you have a chance to dive at CoCo View. We logged 22 dives in the week, should have been more!
We have not done any diving since we have been back. I haven't even connected the dry suit hoses yet! The bad viz reports lately are just too much! We are still cold water divers, it will just take some more time and better viz reports for us! This is the link to the pics, http://picasaweb.google.com/bobmac515/CoCoViewResort#
Life is good, let's dive!!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: CoCo View Resort

Post by LCF »

Super storytelling pictures! I have a colleague who goes to CocoView a couple of times a year, and she adores it. Sounds like you did, too.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Gooch
Submariner

Post by Gooch »

Roatan was nice: we dove there in Jan with West End Divers. The weather was cooler than when you went but the water was also rougher and less settled. Still, being from the NW, I kind of like it when its a tad cool :) We had a bunch of great dives: the staff at West End was awesome-Our DM Mickey was really great. They are a fairly small operation and we got a lot of personal attention with small groups of divers splashing down. We saw our first toadfish and seashorses there.

Sounds like your trip was a lot of fun too. Once when we were getting to a dive site, we saw a bunch of divers getting into the water off a big boat. Mickey (DM) said to us "See that boat? It's from (Brand X) Resort and is just full of really bad divers. If we see them under there, were going the other way." Brand X isn't Coco....:)

Good report!
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!

Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

Sounds wonderful Bob! Can't wait to experience it for myself! Thank you for your report!
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Wow great pics! I've been drooling over some videos of Roatan ever since the dive and travel expo. Can't wait to do some warm water diving.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

Makes me want to go to Honduras sometime real soon.
Gooch
Submariner

Post by Gooch »

I forgot to add in my post-----mmmmm Port Royal and mmmm Salva Vida. Cheap Honduran beer is good after dives.
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!

TacomaSteve
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by TacomaSteve »

DiverBob is fibbing just a little, my computer said the water was 81-84!! It must have been, because I just dove my 1 mil all week, and was plenty warm. Lots of fish, and the corals Cozumel USED to have pre-Wilma.

It`s amazing I can fly a few thousand miles from home, and meet DiverBob & Julie, who lives 2 miles from my house! There were also 5 people from the Bainbridge area, small world. We met lots of nice people at CoCoView. I also dove 22 times in 5 1/2 days, once back home it took my ears all week to recover......lots of bottom time, average boat dive was 55+ minutes, and the drop dive was as long as you wanted to stay under, I usually came up after 4o minutes, still with 1600+.....
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Great report Bob! Would love to do this trip one day...

And welcome to the board Steve!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Bob!
Wow! Great pictures and great report! =D>

And Steve! Welcome to the club :occasion5:

Can you dive on Thursdays? :smt064
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

Post by DiverBob »

Hey Steve, glad to you see you made it to the board!
Life is good, let's dive!!
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

Going for our second trip in August to Cocoview. Cannot wait...
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com