Davidson Rock & James Island May 23rd

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Seaslave
Compulsive Diver

Davidson Rock & James Island May 23rd

Post by Seaslave »

Me and some friends went out with Bandito Charters aboard the Naknek today. We dove Davidson Rock and James Island. I was really excited to dive Davidson after some recent reports and some other dives I've done on the south end of Lopez Island. I have to say, that I was kind of disappointed. The vis was dismal, 10ft at best with tons of fine particulate in the water. I can see the potential of the sight, but did not care for the expereince today after the phenominal vis I have experienced farther north lately. I thought the terrain was kinda bland. It wasn't really rocky or jagged. There was no place for critters to hide. The sight did have a ton of life, lots of juvenile rock fish, scallops, sponges, cucumbers and much more. Current was mild, we splashed at the end of the ebb and road the flood back toward the boat.
James Island was, I thought a better site. Vis was at times, up to 20ft. There seemed to be alot more nooks and crannys for critters to hide in. I think that makes the dive more fun also, poking your head in holes to see who's home. I saw two massive Lingcod, a couple of Heart Crabs, many Nudi's and a bunch more.
Once again, Captain Kirt was a great host and I do enjoy his boat. I got to meet our very own Jackieg as she was working crew for our group today (she recognized my NWDC T-Shirt). She did a great job helping us into and out of the boat and helped lug all our gear around. I hope to see them both again soon. It was a beautifull day to be out on the water and despite the bad vis, there's no place I would have rather been!!! Below are a few of my picks from the two sites.

-Mathue
CIMG0108.jpg
CIMG0113.jpg
CIMG0123.jpg
CIMG0142.jpg
CIMG0154.jpg
CIMG0164.jpg
CIMG0170.jpg
CIMG0171.jpg
CIMG0173.jpg
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: Davidson Rock & James Island May 23rd

Post by LCF »

Which side of Davidson did you dive? We dove the south/southeast slope. It was pretty dramatic structure, I thought.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
jackieg
Amphibian

Post by jackieg »

Great shots of the nudis! It was hard to stay on the boat and watch all you dive...we dropped you on the east side of the rock. I have never dove that site, so I have no clue where folks went. And the orcas at Davidson were awesome!!! :smt038

jackieg
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

Nice Shots. Davidson is one of my favorite sites.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Nice pics and great report Matt!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Seaslave
Compulsive Diver

Post by Seaslave »

LCF wrote:Which side of Davidson did you dive? We dove the south/southeast slope. It was pretty dramatic structure, I thought.
Like Jackie said , my buddy and I went in on the east side of the rock and headed south and west so we should have been in the same general area as you. We did not go as deep as you did though, I think we only went down to 95fsw or so. Don't get me wrong, it was a good spot, I guess I had just expected a little more. I think the low vis had alot to do with it also. I still enjoyed the dive and would like to dive it again under better vis conditions.

-Mathue
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Yeah, I have to say I thought the best part of the dive was between 130 and 80. It was good above that, but further down, the structure was much more dramatic.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Seaslave
Compulsive Diver

Post by Seaslave »

LCF wrote:Yeah, I have to say I thought the best part of the dive was between 130 and 80. It was good above that, but further down, the structure was much more dramatic.
Well, there my excuse to do it again. :supz:
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

It seems to me that the sweat spot of most dives in the San Juan's is 80 fsw to 110 fsw at least. I usually drop down to 120 fsw on a wall in the SJ's and if the life is as good at 100fsw then I head on back up there for more bottom time. It's always different than the area above 80 it seems to me.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

gcbryan wrote:It seems to me that the sweat spot of most dives in the San Juan's is 80 fsw to 110 fsw at least. I usually drop down to 120 fsw on a wall in the SJ's and if the life is as good at 100fsw then I head on back up there for more bottom time. It's always different than the area above 80 it seems to me.
Interesting...
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Incredible photos. Very clear and defined.

Thanks