Agate redux

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Re: Agate redux

Post by pensacoladiver »

CaptnJack wrote:
pensacolaracer wrote:I'll second (or third) the notion of having a good boat tender. How many time have you took someone out who says "I know how to handle a boat". YOu let them try a pickup, and they run in on the person at 10 mph...
You would not like some of our local charter operators!
Hopefully, knock on wood, my boat will continue to run smoothly while I am here and I will never have to use the services of one. No offense to all the Charter Boat Captains out there.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

pensacolaracer wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
pensacolaracer wrote:I'll second (or third) the notion of having a good boat tender. How many time have you took someone out who says "I know how to handle a boat". YOu let them try a pickup, and they run in on the person at 10 mph...
You would not like some of our local charter operators!
Hopefully, knock on wood, my boat will continue to run smoothly while I am here and I will never have to use the services of one. No offense to all the Charter Boat Captains out there.
For some dives, charters are a better bet. Esp when you hire the whole boat. For some dives charters are less desirable. For me there are sites that fit better in each category. It sounds like you have been using your boat alot though which is great!
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

Post by Rockfish »

This thread reminds me of the time I was diving off of a friend's boat and his 15 year old son was the boat tender. We were diving an ebb tide in the Scatchet Head area. We did our dive and when we came up the boat was no where to be seen. The boat tender had done an excellent job of staying on the exact spot of where we dropped in. No one had told him that this was a drift dive and that he needs to stay with the divers. We eventually flagged down a sailboat and the boat owner got on it and got the boat which was lucky for us because the way the current was moving we were going to end up in Port Townsend or Keystone. Needless to say from that point on I always ask the boat tender if they are familiar with the type of dive we are doing and if I am not confident in their abilities I won't do the dive. Bottom line is that if you don't know the boat tender do not assume that they know how to end the boat for divers. We were lucky.

Mike

P.S. I've dove Agate pass a lot both shore to shore and live boat and live boat is a lot easier it removes a lot of stress since you are not worried about getting over to the other side you can just enjoy the dive.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Yeah, a good tender is hard to beat. There are definintely 15 year olds I'd be VERY comfortable with tending solo for me and there are many 40 year olds I wouldn't. It's all about the person. My goal is to have Dylan at the level where my friends are comfortable with him tending boat for us by that age. I'd guess he'll be helping as surface support long before he's running the boat solo though.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

That video came out way better than I expected. I'm in for another round in fall with a full assortment of flags and SMBs of course. :grouphug:
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Rockfish wrote:This thread reminds me of the time I was diving off of a friend's boat and his 15 year old son was the boat tender. We were diving an ebb tide in the Scatchet Head area. We did our dive and when we came up the boat was no where to be seen. The boat tender had done an excellent job of staying on the exact spot of where we dropped in. No one had told him that this was a drift dive and that he needs to stay with the divers. We eventually flagged down a sailboat and the boat owner got on it and got the boat which was lucky for us because the way the current was moving we were going to end up in Port Townsend or Keystone. Needless to say from that point on I always ask the boat tender if they are familiar with the type of dive we are doing and if I am not confident in their abilities I won't do the dive. Bottom line is that if you don't know the boat tender do not assume that they know how to end the boat for divers. We were lucky.

Mike

P.S. I've dove Agate pass a lot both shore to shore and live boat and live boat is a lot easier it removes a lot of stress since you are not worried about getting over to the other side you can just enjoy the dive.
Good story!
I started the thread since I realize it can be embarassing to post your screw ups. I figured by posting one of my egregious ones stuff like this might not feel so taboo. I have a few more that range from "wtf were we thinking?" to "let's not try that again" Actually I think this is Steding's and my motto - keep it in mind if you decide to join us...
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:That video came out way better than I expected. I'm in for another round in fall with a full assortment of flags and SMBs of course. :grouphug:
Cherry picker :smt064
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

CaptnJack wrote:"let's not try that again"
You know, I love that motto.

But, the stuff we've tried was well thought out, for sure. Remember obsessing over Washington Park to Skyline? Wow, that was a bit different than planned. Point being, I feel like the stuff I've learned I've learned from mistakes to a large extent. Luckily, I think I plan dives to the point that the mistakes don't have serious consequences--and I'd like to think I'm not the dumbest when it comes to this stuff.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Everybody who dives eventually does dumb things ... the trick is to acknowledge and learn from them ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

I wish I could have been there! :smt064

And what could go wrong at Agate Pass with an anchored boat? I guess someone could get bent :smt064
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Jeff Kruse wrote:I wish I could have been there! :smt064

And what could go wrong at Agate Pass with an anchored boat? I guess someone could get bent :smt064
You anchored? Com'on do tell
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

Damn, I meant to say Watermans Pt #-o
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

Jeff Kruse wrote:And what could go wrong at Agate Pass with an anchored boat?
Or you could anchor in a 5 knot current in Agate Pass to drop passengers in for a dive and forget to set the pawl on the windlass. It's amazing how a nice strong current can pull all of your anchor line off of the windlass. :angry:
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

Hmmm can you say bitter end (as it goes over the side because you did't tie it off) :smt064
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

Maybe it was just me that did that. :banghead:

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

boydski wrote:
Jeff Kruse wrote:And what could go wrong at Agate Pass with an anchored boat?
Or you could anchor in a 5 knot current in Agate Pass to drop passengers in for a dive and forget to set the pawl on the windlass. It's amazing how a nice strong current can pull all of your anchor line off of the windlass. :angry:
Now we're getting somewhere! :breakdance:
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

Now we're getting somewhere!
Yeah down stream!

boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

selkie wrote:
Now we're getting somewhere!
Yeah down stream!
FAST! :pale:
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

Fortunately, we all have dive gear on board, which makes recovering from our "Oops" moments much easier.

There has been many a tool dropped over the side to my wife's stern accusation, "you did that on purpose, didn't you?", as I put my dive gear on....

Honest, it was just an accident! :angelblue:

It just sucks that I have to go divning again. Really, it does....
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

boydski wrote:Fortunately, we all have dive gear on board, which makes recovering from our "Oops" moments much easier.

There has been many a tool dropped over the side to my wife's stern accusation, "you did that on purpose, didn't you?", as I put my dive gear on....

Honest, it was just an accident! :angelblue:

It just sucks that I have to go divning again. Really, it does....
Maybe you should try harder not to smile next time ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

Jeff Kruse wrote:Damn, I meant to say Watermans Pt #-o
Clean spark plugs are important too. Especially when there's a ferry around. :biggrin:
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

:clap: But we had a great dive! The STROKE didnt leave us stranded. :partydance:
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

Jeff Kruse wrote::clap: But we had a great dive! The STROKE didnt leave us stranded. :partydance:
I wasn't worried but maybe it was the sunny day, Coke and candy bar provided during the repairs and the fact that I really wanted to go to Waterman!