Manta Ray night dive--Kona, Hawai'i 7-6-09 (with video)

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Manta Ray night dive--Kona, Hawai'i 7-6-09 (with video)

Post by mz53480 »

Here's the video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-c0A2GP_YE[/youtube]

Took the wife on a trip to Hawaii, and got to get a dive in with the mantas. Dove with 'kona honu divers' on the big island.
Great dive, and since the Mrs. doesn't dive, she got to snorkel at the same time. We both really enjoyed it.
Dive trip started around 6pm and splashed around 7:45pm or so. Beautiful sunset to watch while waiting.
Vis was spectacular, around 70+ or so I'd guess (haven't seen that much vis in a while, so hard to guess...)
Water was warm, wore a full 3mil wetsuit and felt perfect temperature wise once down at the bottom.
Headed down off the boat and down to the 'campfire', place where all the divers circle around to hold their lights up and attract the plankton in the water. This attracts the mantas, and we ended up having 11 of them come say hi.
It was amazing, and you could feel the water move you around after they 'flew' by you. A few times they got close to the light and camera so had to pull it away quick at the last moment.
Another interesting side show was 'frank' the moray eel. Apparently, he goes and 'hides' in the light crate that the 1st divers put down. Then he goes and tries to catch fish. Fun to watch....
After about 45min, the guide took us out and around for an 'outside the box' view of the event. Way cool. Then up and out to the boat.
While sitting there watching the mantas, I thought I had a problem with my SPG because I wasn't going through air as fast as usual. Started on a steel 80 at ~3200psi and ended up with around 2000. Dive depth, only around 30fsw or so.
Had a wonderful time and would highly recommend it if you get the chance.

Also got to meet up with Sockmonkey and Mrs. Sockmonkey for a nice dinner. Thanks again, Eric, for the very helpful advice. (we able to avoid any possible 'mad cow' incidents during our last hike on the island). :partydance:

Happy diving!
MZ
:fish:
Last edited by mz53480 on Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Re: Manta Ray night dive--Kona, Hawai'i 7-6-09 (with video)

Post by pogiguy05 »

Great video and one of these days I got to do the same thing. take the wife as an excuse to get some warm water scuba diving in Hawaii. :roll: I would just call the visibility "infinity" compared to what we get around here.
Jeff Castor
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Very cool video!!! Love how you capture the 'circus act' as I call it - having done this dive several times now. What's REALLY cool is seeing a Manta when you're just off on your own, shore diving. They're so graceful!

- Janna
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Hey MZ... was great to meet you and Mrs. Z. Thanks for being so patient waiting for me to get out of work and for my wife to show up. I know we kept you at the bar for longer than what would normally be considered polite. And thanks for the drinks and grub. Much appreciated.

I'm glad you met Frank the eel... Somewhere I've got about an hour's worth of footage of him I'll dig up at some point. (I had no idea he had a name)

Mostly I'm sorry we didn't get a chance to dive while you were here... stupid bug bite.

-Eric

(Please do watch out for cows when hiking in Hawaii.)
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
edm81363
Aquaphile

Post by edm81363 »

We were able to catch one of the eels on that dive getting a fish and then forming a knot to crush it. Got it on video too, right around the 3:25 mark;

http://www.vimeo.com/2051376
-Ed in Mill Creek
OW, AOW, Boat, Deep, EANx, CPR, First Aid, O2, Rescue, HSA, DM
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Nice video MZ! Sockmonkey is becoming a Kona Celeb.
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

sheahanmcculla wrote:....Sockmonkey is becoming a Kona Celeb.
That explains the paparrazi following :eric: around.....
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
PapaZ
Compulsive Diver

Post by PapaZ »

Nice vid of the Mantas.

Will see if they are still there in about 12 days and give you a report.

PZ

:roll:
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Very cool manta Ray vid Mike.. Really nice.. Tell me how the set the lights in the crates on the floor ? And did they have dive lights to use ? Or did you pack yours ?
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

H20doctor wrote:Very cool manta Ray vid Mike.. Really nice.. Tell me how the set the lights in the crates on the floor ? And did they have dive lights to use ? Or did you pack yours ?
(Tell me how the set the lights in the crates on the floor...)
I think they already had them 'zip-tied' in the up position. About 4 of the '4-D-cell' UK handheld type in a plastic crate. I think they add some weight in the crate to keep em down too.

Did they have dive lights to use ? Or did you pack yours ?
They provide everything, I just brought my big light as an added 'goodie'....and it paid off. I had more than my share of manta-frenzy.

Nice work on your videos too, btw. Cool pic of Ross & me. :) Also, your footage of the Alaskan Reefer turned out way better than what I got. Cool!
Check out the VIDEOS!
supacooper
Avid Diver

Post by supacooper »

Awesome! I'm jealous. :hello2: Diving with Mantas is definitely on my bucket list. Will work to get orders to Pearl Harbor next year.
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

supacooper wrote:Awesome! I'm jealous. :hello2: Diving with Mantas is definitely on my bucket list. Will work to get orders to Pearl Harbor next year.
Careful....you might get stationed at the Marine base instead.....guarding something less than interesting...
:naka:
Check out the VIDEOS!
supacooper
Avid Diver

Post by supacooper »

Served a little with USMC, just have to talk slower :penelope: As long as I have a LDS and I'm blowing bubbles, I'm game!
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

supacooper wrote:Served a little with USMC, just have to talk slower :penelope:

ouch.....

supacooper wrote: As long as I have a LDS and I'm blowing bubbles, I'm game!
Yep! And in Hawaii it just seemed so much better when you don't need the drysuit and extra gear....
Check out the VIDEOS!
supacooper
Avid Diver

Post by supacooper »

Nothing like some cross service banter.
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

supacooper wrote:Nothing like some cross service banter.
:thumb3d:
Check out the VIDEOS!
Diver Doug
Aquaphile

Post by Diver Doug »

I did that same dive with Kona hanu divers last year. Truely a experience never to forget. After the dive they offered the video that one of the DM's took. It had some shots of each person in it plus some great additional footage. OK twist my arm, yes I bought it. For all the expense to get there, I just couldn't turn it down. A great dive, definately a bucket list dive.
Doug :partydance:
If only I had Gills
rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

Aww, you guys didn't see Lefty did you? She was the biggest one out there when we saw them off the big island.
Lophiiformes rock.

"Anal fins are a gateway drug." - Tom Nic
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

rjarnold wrote:Aww, you guys didn't see Lefty did you? She was the biggest one out there when we saw them off the big island.
Lefty is still out and about any time the mantas show up (except for when Calvin scares them all away).

Did you folks know that Mantas are now protected by law in the state of Hawaii thanks to the Manta Pacific Research Foundation's tireless efforts?

-Eric

rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

Sockmonkey wrote:
rjarnold wrote:Aww, you guys didn't see Lefty did you? She was the biggest one out there when we saw them off the big island.
Lefty is still out and about any time the mantas show up (except for when Calvin scares them all away).

Did you folks know that Mantas are now protected by law in the state of Hawaii thanks to the Manta Pacific Research Foundation's tireless efforts?

-Eric
That's great! I watched a video a few months back that I believe was taken on one of the islands in Indonesia or the Philippines - they were cutting up great numbers of huge manta rays for the market. Sad, as I think it's mainly used as a shark fin soup substitute or magic medicine and provides little to no nourishment.
Lophiiformes rock.

"Anal fins are a gateway drug." - Tom Nic
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

I was noodling around with video this morning for work and found some footage apropos to this post...
mz53480 wrote:Another interesting side show was 'frank' the moray eel. Apparently, he goes and 'hides' in the light crate that the 1st divers put down. Then he goes and tries to catch fish. Fun to watch....
A few screen grabs of Frank I have from the measuring and ID video I've taken for MPRF.

[thumb]205[/thumb] [thumb]206[/thumb] [thumb]207[/thumb] [thumb]208[/thumb] [thumb]209[/thumb] [thumb]210[/thumb] [thumb]211[/thumb]
H20doctor wrote:Very cool manta Ray vid Mike.. Really nice.. Tell me how the set the lights in the crates on the floor ? And did they have dive lights to use ? Or did you pack yours ?
Looks like a combination of PVC pipe wire tied to milk crates that are weighted down. I think they use a various styles rechargeable HID and incandescent lights.

-Eric

Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

6 years ago I did this dive and saw 18 mantas. I did it again about a month and a half ago and...... 0
:angryfire: :steamingears: :banghead: :tappingfoot: :angry:
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Tangfish wrote:6 years ago I did this dive and saw 18 mantas. I did it again about a month and a half ago and...... 0
:angryfire: :steamingears: :banghead: :tappingfoot: :angry:
That sucks.
Refund?
Check out the VIDEOS!