Fairly new diver looking for buddy

Looking for a dive buddy? Get paired up here.
bazonkers
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Fairly new diver looking for buddy

Post by bazonkers »

My name is Joe and I'm new to the board but I've lived in the Seattle area for the last 5 years. I've been OW certified since 2004 (learned in Monterey CA) but aside from some warm water diving, I didn't get back into diving seriously until the last few months. I just finished up my PADI AOW with drysuit and I'm looking to get out at least once a month (hopefully much more than that) to keep my skills sharp and to get better at diving. I have 19 dives logged but I still consider myself a new diver and wouldn't mind some guidance from more experienced divers.

I'm looking to meet some other local divers that wouldn't mind having a relatively new diver as a buddy. I dove to 98ft and did a drift dive for my AOW but I'm looking for some tamer stuff until I get my new equipment dialed in as well as more skills as a diver. I wasn't freaked out at 98ft but I was sucking through air FAST which didn't make it a very fun dive. I do have some steel HP120 tanks now so I should be able to keep up better with those divers that have much better consumption rates. As for preferences, I'm open to seeing anything underwater from wrecks to critters to mermaids. I really want to become a much more comfortable and safer diver which requires time in the water. I'll go look at anything while getting that time and experience as long as the conditions aren't too hairy.

My schedule is WIDE open mostly. I'm free weekdays until the late afternoon (need to pick up my son from school at 5:30pm on the Eastside but some days my wife is home and I can dive until whenever) and most weekends unless my wife is working. Short of that, I'm open. I live over in Sammamish on the Eastside and I'm willing to pretty much drive anywhere to dive but on days I need to be home by 5:30, I'd prefer something closer to the Seattle area.

This looks like a great forum and I hope to meet members out and about at various dive sites throughout the year!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: Fairly new diver looking for buddy

Post by LCF »

Welcome, Joe!

It is a particular pleasure of mine to go diving with newer divers, and pay forward some of the kindness and mentoring that was shown me when I was new. And, like you, I often have weekday time open. I'm over in Maui right now, but I'll be home next week. Maybe we can sync schedules?

I don't know what equipment you have, but anything you lack, we can lend you; my husband is an instructor, so we have a lot of gear for students, including tanks.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Welcome Joe,
Check out the dive planning area and you will see numerous public dives.

Rick
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
ldevore
Compulsive Diver

Post by ldevore »

Welcome! I would encourage you to come dive with us at Mukalteo on Monday nights (keep an eye on the dive planning thread). This is a great site and a great group to dive to dive with. Newbies are always welcome and there are some fantastic divers there to help with mentoring.

Lauri
timjritter
Just Settling In

Post by timjritter »

hello, look up "puget sound dives" on facebook
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

I have a limited amount of time left here in the great PNW but, if you ever come to the island and wanna dive i'll see what i can do. Just be open.
finnegankp
Dive-aholic

Post by finnegankp »

Joe,

Shoot me an email and lets sync up. I live on the eastside too and would love to get out and do some more diving! I'm free on weekends and have a new drysuit to break in!

-Kyle
(253) 226-2554 - cell
finnegankp@gmail.com
To dive? Or not to dive?... the latter is irrelevant! Get in the water!