Dive buddy possibilities in the Portland area?

Looking for a dive buddy? Get paired up here.
Wasre
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Dive buddy possibilities in the Portland area?

Post by Wasre »

Greetings everyone! I'm looking to try and build a list of potential dive buddies in the Portland area so I can get wet a bit more often.

A bit about me, my experience, and the gear I currently have.
I just picked up a Dry suit and will be learning how to use it on the 15th, I'm taking the Nitrox course through an SSI shop on the 8th. Other items I have, Dry suit, mask, snorkel and will have fins soon. (I want to test some with the new dry suit before I buy some) or am waiting on (not very patiently mind you) new regulator setup Titan LX Supreme, Vyper Air dive computer with Integrated Air transmitter. I can easily get gloves, hood and rent a BC while I figure out exactly what I want. I'm open to hearing people's opinions on their gear and why they like it too.

I don't have any tanks or lights currently, and am considering looking for an inexpensive yet decent UW camera for doing some photography.

I have no experience with night dives currently, but I'm looking to change that, have 12 dives under my belt and am OW certified currently but am looking to get more specialties learned to enhance this great sport for me as well as work towards being able to at least help teach it to others if not becoming an instructor myself.

I'm willing to travel north to the Seattle area, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to do that regularly or not. I currently work weekends (Fri, Sat, Sun graveyard) and have the majority of the week available to me unless someone at work is on vacation.

I look forward to hearing from others in the area as well as up north a bit.

Kenn
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Re: Dive buddy possibilities in the Portland area?

Post by ORDiver »

Hi Kenn, welcome to the forum. I'm down in Portland and would be happy to dive sometime however I am stuck with diving only weekends. There is a few people on here that dive weekdays too though.
Definitely do some more diving with some folks before buying the rest of your gear and get some input on people's different setups and why they use them. You can also do a search on here for practically anything and there will probably be a past posting (if not many) about it.
Feel free to pm me if you get a free weekend and maybe we can get a dive in.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Our Oregon contingent is hardcore. You're in good hands. Welcome to NWDC!
jeffgerritsen
Dive-aholic

Post by jeffgerritsen »

Hey Kenn,
I'll dive with you. My wife works Fri - Sun at OHSU so our weekdays are open. Both Wife and I dive.
JesseK
Just Settling In

Post by JesseK »

I am going to be coming down to the Portland area around 20 Dec, I only have a wetsuit so I am good for one maybe two dives at a time. I would love to get another dive in while I am down there, I should be down from Dec 20 - Jan 6, if anyone is up for a dive during that time please let me know!
Jesse K. AKA "DevilCow"

"Ich habe viele Probleme, aber ich bin nicht so tot wie Elvis"
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

There really isn't much diving in the Portland area unless you want to dive lakes which are FREEZING this time of year. Most of us travel to Tacoma/Seattle or Hood Canal to dive. Check out the Oregon forum for dive buddies. Also, Seven Seas Scuba (located just over the I-205 in Vancouver, WA) does a FREE monthly shore dive with divers of all experience levels & at least one monthly boat charter (have to pay for boat, of course but still no charge for the dive professional who leads the group unless you want to tip them). You are sure to have fun, learn something, and find some buddies by attending some of their dives.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option