New to diving - would love to meet a buddy or group

Looking for a dive buddy? Get paired up here.
Tony S
Getting To Know Folks

New to diving - would love to meet a buddy or group

Post by Tony S »

Hey Everyone,
I am new to diving -- I would love to find a group or buddy to go out with and help me get comfortable with diving in the Sound. Some info about me:

- I live in North-Central Seattle (Greenwood - Shoreline area).
- I have both my OW and advanced certification. I've done 20 dives -- 8 in warm water, the other 12 I did in the Seattle area.
- I have all of my own equipment. I just bought my dry suit (USIA) so I am still trying to get the buoyancy dialed in with it. I also have two steel 119 tanks that I like to use.
- I am interested in just about any diving: wrecks, looking at critters, etc. I really want to see my first octo.
- I am still a little nervous when I go out, so I will probably need to go out with someone that is OK with that and doesn't mind "babysitting" me while I get more comfortable while I learn the diving ropes.
- I am fine going to 100 feet -- I am not comfortable going much deeper. I am not a fan of long surface swims.
- I am fine with doing the occasional night dive during the week or going out right after work and doing a dive. Saturdays are better than Sundays on the weekend. Also, on the weekends, I am an early-riser so I can be up and ready to go pretty early. I definitely prefer mornings over afternoons.

Please let me know if you're interested in diving -- post here and I'll be in touch. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Tony
Last edited by Tony S on Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Re: New to diving - would love to meet a buddy or group

Post by Nwbrewer »

Welcome Tony! Letting us know where you're located would help you locate buddies in your area.

New divers are always welcome to the MMM dives if you're in the N end.

Jake
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Tony S
Getting To Know Folks

Post by Tony S »

Hey Jake,
Thanks for the heads up -- I definitely forgot my locale. I will edit my above post and add it.

"MMM dive"? Which dive is that? I am pretty sure I'd be interested -- I live in North-Central Seattle.

Tony
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Tony S wrote:Hey Jake,
Thanks for the heads up -- I definitely forgot my locale. I will edit my above post and add it.

"MMM dive"? Which dive is that? I am pretty sure I'd be interested -- I live in North-Central Seattle.

Tony
http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php ... 14#p199258

Just look for the MMM threads. It's on most weeks, but occasionally people get busy.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
sarinae
Aquaphile

Post by sarinae »

Welcome to the group, Tony! I've been diving just under a year and I have to tell you that some of my favorite people that I have met have been in this group, so you're in the right place.

I'm up on the north end in Mill Creek. My diving schedule is hit or miss right now with softball, tball, scouts, etc but I'd love to get out there with you. If you have a day in mind, don't hesitate to post it in the dive planning portion. Someone will almost always jump in and say they'd love to join you. Many of us are thinking we can either dive or _______ that day, but when a fellow diver suggests a dive, it helps tip the scale.

Hope to meet you out there soon!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

There are standing dives most nights of the week -- Monday at Mukilteo, Tuesday at Edmonds, Wednesday at the Alki Coves, Thursday in the South Sound . . . and folks diving most every weekend. Look at the "Dive Planning" subforum for postings of weekly dives, and the occasional club dives.

I really like going out with new divers, but my schedule for the next month or so is just jam-packed. But maybe later this summer we can meet up for a dive!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

LCF wrote:There are standing dives most nights of the week -- Monday at Mukilteo, Tuesday at Edmonds, Wednesday at the Alki Coves, Thursday in the South Sound . . .
And don't forget Wednesdays at Muk, too.

http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php ... 14#p199259
Jimothy
Avid Diver

Post by Jimothy »

I'm available most evenings,though it's difficult for me to get into seattle on week days since I live and work in woodinville. I try to make it out to mukilteo on the weekend, usually doing a night dive or two.

Welcome aboard.
bfox
Just Settling In

Post by bfox »

Hey Tony,

I'm close to your area, I'm in Greenlake. I'm available pretty much all of the time, so give me a shout if you want to go dive. You can usually see some GPOs at Alki. I'm new to diving like you are, so it'd be nice to have someone to learn and explore with at a "slower/new guy" pace.
Brandon

"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.