Looking for a dive buddy on Whidbey!

Looking for a dive buddy? Get paired up here.
Metalhead514
Getting To Know Folks

Looking for a dive buddy on Whidbey!

Post by Metalhead514 »

Hey! I am not new to the area physically, but I am when it comes to diving. I am a PADI certified Rescue Diver with 36 dives and I am also Nitrox certified (I prefer 32%). Literally all of my diving experience right now has been in the clear, warm waters of Curacao. I am still waiting for some of my gear to come in (waiting on BCD, pressure gauge), but if it all comes in soon, I would like to dive sometime next week (15th-21st). I am off all week!

I'm looking for an easy dive for my first PNW dive. Nothing too crazy. I don't mind deep dives at all. And yes, I do have thick(er) stuff than I did in the tropics. I have 8mm boots, 5mm suit/ gloves, and I am looking at a 4 or 5mm hood.

My first dive will also be me getting my weights right. with just my 5mm suit, i need about 12 lbs and the gloves, hood, and boots will probably add a bit more. Long story short, please be patient!

Any takers?

Nate
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Looking for a dive buddy on Whidbey!

Post by Desert Diver »

You are tough if you are going to dive a 5mm wetsuit! And I'd think about buying something thicker than a 5mm hood. I think mine is 10mm and it is OK for warmth, with my drysuit.
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

Water temperature around Whidbey will be from 46 to 48 degrees. I don't know anybody that would do that in a 5mm suit. Those who dive wet in Puget Sound typically use a 7mm farmer john & jacket combo so there is 14mm on their core. When all is said and done, it's easier and more comfortable to dive dry.

Moss Bay dive club will be up there on Mar 14th. Check out Meetup.com
Metalhead514
Getting To Know Folks

Post by Metalhead514 »

Thanks for the suggestions! I will look into thicker suits. Unfortunately, I do not have the money to buy a dry suit, nor the certification to use one :(.