New to PNW Diving

Looking for a dive buddy? Get paired up here.
bike_reck_ben
Just Settling In

New to PNW Diving

Post by bike_reck_ben »

Hey All,

I'm new to diving the area and would like to go out with someone who knows the area. Take me to your favorite dive site or anywhere with water.

I tried to go last Sunday (Rockaway Beach) and couldn't sink. I was using an Xcel 7mil Thermoflex wetsuit with 30 pounds and an AL 80 tank. In Guam I was using a 3mil jacket with 6 pounds and no problems. I'm 6'1", 180 pounds so 30 should've been enough. Please let me know if you're willing to help me out with tips or want to get in the water with me.
Don't tempt me with a good time. I may just take you up on that offer.
GearHead
Submariner

Re: New to PNW Diving

Post by GearHead »

Most of us here use steel tanks which remain negative even when nearly empty. The difference in buoyancy can be 6 lbs or more between Alu and steel. Your weighting in warm water with a 3mm suit sounds fairly normal. The thicker wetsuits are surprisingly buoyant at the surface, even compared to a drysuit. You could try renting a steel tank (maybe LP 95 from most shops), and that should make up the difference.

Many of us have also migrated to using steel backplates instead of the jacket style BCs. Those help with weight distribution, moving the weight where it is most needed and lightening the belt.
bike_reck_ben
Just Settling In

Post by bike_reck_ben »

A solution has been found. 26 pounds with a HP 100 steel tank.
Don't tempt me with a good time. I may just take you up on that offer.
McGlencoe
Dive-aholic

Post by McGlencoe »

I'm 6'-6", 220-ish, wear a 14mm wetsuit and dive with either a HP100 or HP120 and ~36lbs of weight.
GearHead
Submariner

New to PNW Diving

Post by GearHead »

I'm 6'-1", 200 lbs and use between 30 and 36 lbs of weight depending on the undergarments inside my drysuit. In this case, air = warmth. My usual tanks are Faber FX117s, which get slightly buoyant when empty.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Welcome to NWDC! I echo what the others are saying, a steel tank would probably make a big difference for ya, or just add a few more lbs. I just picked up the same suit yesterday, btw!