New Diver looking for buddies

Looking for a dive buddy? Get paired up here.
Scubabliss
Getting To Know Folks

New Diver looking for buddies

Post by Scubabliss »

Hello All,

On seeing that my "comfort blanket" Keystone Jetty is going to be closed for a while, and with my available dive times limited to week days, I need to branch out if I'm going to really enjoy this new hobby! I just got my dry suit and can't wait to get comfortable with it. I would love to find some folks who wouldn't mind a newbie to tag along.

1)Current number of dives/cert: 20 dives, OW (SDI) certified here in the cold water :-)
2)Type of diving I'm interested in: for now I really want to get comfortable with my new gear and become more grounded in my basic skills, have a chance to just watch the creatures and enjoy; This is all brand new for me even though I grew up here.
3)Where? I live in Skagit, so I would guess that Edmonds, Mukilteo are easiest to get to, though I'm excited to try farther south too
4)Availability: I work ridiculous hours on the weekends; this does mean I'm often flattened come Monday, so Tues-Fri are always easiest

I'm finally accepting that if friends and family wanted to join in this awesome alien world, they would have...so I need to stop trying to push it on them and find my own peeps who don't need convincing :joshsmith: :bye:
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: New Diver looking for buddies

Post by ScubaJess »

Welcome to the addiction! So sad about keystone! Hope you can find some week day dive buddies!! Divers are the best friends :) if I didn't have to work M-F is go dive with you! :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Scubabliss wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:52 am Hello All,

On seeing that my "comfort blanket" Keystone Jetty is going to be closed for a while, and with my available dive times limited to week days, I need to branch out if I'm going to really enjoy this new hobby! I just got my dry suit and can't wait to get comfortable with it. I would love to find some folks who wouldn't mind a newbie to tag along.

1)Current number of dives/cert: 20 dives, OW (SDI) certified here in the cold water :-)
2)Type of diving I'm interested in: for now I really want to get comfortable with my new gear and become more grounded in my basic skills, have a chance to just watch the creatures and enjoy; This is all brand new for me even though I grew up here.
3)Where? I live in Skagit, so I would guess that Edmonds, Mukilteo are easiest to get to, though I'm excited to try farther south too
4)Availability: I work ridiculous hours on the weekends; this does mean I'm often flattened come Monday, so Tues-Fri are always easiest

I'm finally accepting that if friends and family wanted to join in this awesome alien world, they would have...so I need to stop trying to push it on them and find my own peeps who don't need convincing :joshsmith: :bye:
Hi
Weekdays can be tough but there are a few weekday divers. You may want to ask Anacortes Diving or the B'ham shop about regulars nearby. There are groups that dive mukilteo on weeknights as well (look for "bubbles and suds" here or more actively on facebook). Or make a shoutout here on a particular day and you may get takers.

Other dive site options could be driftwood park (wolfeels), rosario beach, and once you get some more experience Skyline Wall is really amazing.

And just a reservable ferry ride away from Keystone is Point Hudson, which is very similar to Keystone.

-Eric
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
eh.haole
Avid Diver

Post by eh.haole »

Anacortes Diving & Supply is a high quality shop and often organizes group/social dives around here (often Rosario Beach & Mukilteo) via their club/newsletter/FB page. Can't go wrong there.

I reckon the visibility won't be any good for at least a few days after these storms, and perhaps longer. I confirmed that on a muck evening/night dive in Penn Cove on Monday.

But be assured that anything providing underwater habitat for the critters will be interestingly inhabited!

Driftwood Park sounds like a good idea Eric. I have also not yet bothered to browse the kelp gardens at either of the Ebey parks on a calm clear slack day. But why not? Visibility often looks better than Rosario, since it's further from the Skagit outflow cannon (a.k.a. Deception Pass)
Scubabliss
Getting To Know Folks

Post by Scubabliss »

Hi guys- thank you for the responses :-). I actually got my cert with Anacortes Diving & Supply and love them very much. But just looking to expand my options for the times when Bob and Kelley have the audacity (lol) to leave me behind and go on trips. They have been awesome and I recommend highly! I keep track of the club dives as well- it’s that weekend thing though (rats!)
SEAriously
Avid Diver

Post by SEAriously »

I typically get off work around 3pm. Next time we head out for an afternoon dive, I can shoot you a message!
Scubabliss
Getting To Know Folks

Post by Scubabliss »

Thanks SEAriously! That would be great!

Becky
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Bubbles and Suds tends to meet every Wednesday night at about 6pm. We have all levels of divers and are happy to have ya. You can PM me for more details if you like. Or email ricknorris@gmail.com
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Scubabliss
Getting To Know Folks

Post by Scubabliss »

Thank you! I will do that :-)