Club Dive! Club Dive! Club Dive! September 18th!

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: Club Dive! Club Dive! Club Dive! September 18th!

Post by Grateful Diver »

Dashrynn wrote: The most memorable part of the day...writing my handle down and i think it was ktb or liz who said "You're Dashrynn!" ...i almost bolted for the van to hide in fear of hell coming down on me. Turned out they just like exclaiming things real loud....in my direction...with a little sarcasm... :rofl:
The way I remember it was ...

"You're Dashrynn?!"

"Yeah, but I still want the hamburger" ...

:rofl:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

That was an absolutely GREAT day! It'll go down as the club dive to be topped in the future! It was really fun meeting a whole bunch of folks that I've only known on line and seeing some old friends as well. P-Pants....ya done GOOD!

Special thanks to lundysd, bdub and scottsax, who leapt to my rescue when the o-ring blew on my Argon bottle! I started to take off my gear to get to my box of o-ring in my truck, but they just sat me down on my tailgate, took off the reg, slapped in a new o-ring and sent me back off on my way to the water! Thanks, guys!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Post by seainggreen »

It was very, very cool to see so many dive-happy folks in one spot. It was quite the to-do, and I was very glad I came!

Folks were very, very welcoming and just about everyone made a point to come up and introduce themselves when they came over or when I came over, which I really appreciated as one of the "new kids" to the group. It was also a lot of fun to see some familiar faces from over the years!

I got in a dive with Mike and Doug and we had a great combo-dive of looking at the critters combined with some skills. Looks like everyone got in a nice dose of good vis and sunshine. The food was pretty tasty too!

I also discovered that my MINI has a magical power: It sprouts six-packs of Guinness when I'm off socializing with other divers!!!! Yeah! :supz:

I think I'm most excited about all of the future dive planning that went on yesterday. I am looking forward to many new adventures with friends old and new in the coming weeks! :)

Great event Penelope! Thanks for being the hostess with the mostest!
Last edited by seainggreen on Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:39 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln, 1809 - 1865
Seainggreen Productions, LLC
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

there were so many NWDCers there, i didn't get a chance to say hi to a lot of you. hopefully next time!
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

Grateful Diver wrote:
Dashrynn wrote: The most memorable part of the day...writing my handle down and i think it was ktb or liz who said "You're Dashrynn!" ...i almost bolted for the van to hide in fear of hell coming down on me. Turned out they just like exclaiming things real loud....in my direction...with a little sarcasm... :rofl:

"You're Dashrynn?!"

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Oh, Dash....It wasn't sarcasm, just genuine interest in finally meeting you in person, after reading your colorful comments on the board for so long. :) (I'm naturally loud.....what can I say?)

And I did still give you the hamburger, so we're friends, right? :angelblue:
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Did anyone take a head-count to see how many came? I'm curious because folks were coming and going all day long - Kyle evn showed up on his way to work!

I was also surprised to see that Dusty was there, since I didn't see him....maybe while I was underwater? Were you not there long?

Spatty, is there anyway to set up an "I was there" list so that people could click off that they had been there?

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

John Rawlings wrote:Spatty, is there anyway to set up an "I was there" list so that people could click off that they had been there?

- John
hm, can't think of one, other than just replying in a thread...

i'll start!

i was there!
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

spatman wrote:
John Rawlings wrote:Spatty, is there anyway to set up an "I was there" list so that people could click off that they had been there?

- John
If John just wants to know how many NWDC members were there, wouldn't a simple Poll work?
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Might be easier to ask who wasn't there ... this was without question the best-attended club dive we've ever had ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Tubesnout23
Submariner

Post by Tubesnout23 »

It was a great day blessed with good weather, for the most part, great visibility and friendly people. A special thanks to Penelope and the other folks who helped her to organize this event.

Thanks CaptnJack for making your boat available! :joshsmith: This time I was able to have a good look at the barges. I could recognize their shapes (when I dived this site before the visibility must have been quite bad) and see the boat (for the first time) and its dwellers including a couple of grunt sculpins tucked inside some pipes and the big sleepy GPO under its hull. Captn you did a great job in fixing Trevor's mask. You can add the humongous dive knife that I found down there for your marine paraphernalia collection if you have one.

Trevorrowe is was great meeting you again. I look forward to see the pictures that you took!

Thanks Bob for letting me use Cheng's Fusion dry suit and thanks Lynn for helping me in figuring out how to deal with the baggy inside layer. You were right: buoyancy control was much easier. I felt my neck and wrist cold, though, I guess because the latex seals are so thin that don't give any thermal protection and I am 'spoiled' by my neoprene seals. Latex also seems so fragile that I don't know if those seals will survive a rough handler like me. The boots were full of water at the end of the dive but maybe that's normal. The inflating? valve is a bit hard to operate, but then maybe that kind of valve, where you have to press a button at the center, is always like that...It was disappointing to discover that at the end of the dive my crotch was still wet! Well...maybe I do pee myself a bit at the end of a dive after all!!!! :eek:

During the second dive we spent about 20 minutes at the bottle field playing with the biggest spot prawns I ever seen (they were everywhere!), a beautifully big stubby squid and a bright orange yellow gunnel (that Dusty 2 identified as a young cockscomb) Sam and I lost our way back to the rope and the boats. I guess a let myself being lazy and did not pay much attention to navigation with a 'che sara' sara' attitude!, while Sam kept looking around to see any sign of man made structures gluing his yes on the compass. We ended up swimming along an endless featureless bottom covered with pebbles and sand, not even a sea star was hanging around in that wasteland. Sam surfaced briefly to see what the hell we were and came back down again. We basically crossed the beach and almost reached the pilings near the floating docks. Sometimes going off the beaten path is not such an exciting thing to do after all!

PS: I could not believe how much plastic trash there was at the bottle field! I would be interested to dedicate one dive in cleaning up the place a bit next time that the club organizes another CDive at Redondo! Next time I dive there I will try to remember to bring a bag too!

I saw a guy walking around with a video camera...Was it you, SeattleYates or the guy who posted a nice video about Mukilteo? 'Yellow Tail Rock Fish' diver (named after watching his video clip with a lot of YTRF) were you there yesterday? Some many people and so many screen names and real names to remember that my memory can't cope! :der:

I look forward to seeing you again at Keystone! :joshsmith:
Attachments
Slate_Sept18_10.jpg
Last edited by Tubesnout23 on Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:38 pm, edited 7 times in total.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Betty, I suspect the reason you were wet was that neck seal didn't seal well enough on you. It's NOT normal to be wet after a dive in a Fusion.

Oh, and there is no need to push the button on the dump valve. It's the same dump valve (SiTech) that's on your Mobby's suit. It should dump easily, if it's all the way open.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Tubesnout23
Submariner

Post by Tubesnout23 »

LCF wrote:Betty, I suspect the reason you were wet was that neck seal didn't seal well enough on you. It's NOT normal to be wet after a dive in a Fusion.

Oh, and there is no need to push the button on the dump valve. It's the same dump valve (SiTech) that's on your Mobby's suit. It should dump easily, if it's all the way open.
I made a mistake , it was not the dump valve but the inflating valve or whatever it is called...
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Here's another pic of that little wolfie, compliments of my lovely wife. I cropped it a little but wasn't able to get rid of the backscatter without making him look like a mutation experiment gone wrong. I knew something special was going on when John Rawlings told me this is the first time he's heard of a wolf eel at Redondo. If he hasn't heard of such a thing, it probably hasn't happened before.

The critters seemed to know it was a special day, and they were out in force. We came upon more cockscombs, gunnels and grunt sculpins than we could count, most playing peekaboo from their hidey-holes, two sailfin sculpins, a young lingcod and even one HUGE ratfish. Viz was terrific. What an amazing day!
wolfie.jpg
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
matteus
Just Settling In

Post by matteus »

Thanks for the great dives. It was nice to meet some of you, and hopefully next time I'll get to meet more. I hope someone got to enjoy some of the jambalaya (next time I'll bring my own little grill).

On a side note, if anyone finds a small writing slate somewhere around the North side of Salty's, let me know. It got dropped and we weren't able to find it, but no big loss, I got it for a buck.
Matt
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

lizard0924 wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:

"You're Dashrynn?!"

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Oh, Dash....It wasn't sarcasm, just genuine interest in finally meeting you in person, after reading your colorful comments on the board for so long. :) (I'm naturally loud.....what can I say?)

And I did still give you the hamburger, so we're friends, right? :angelblue:
Haha bff's forever Hahaha oh BTW the food was great just needed more ketchup (my fault) I took the brownish bites home with me and the entire way I ate those little guys like I was a stoned with the munchies
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Grateful Diver wrote:Might be easier to ask who wasn't there ... this was without question the best-attended club dive we've ever had ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
best one i have been to hahaha.

Bob this one is for you...you you 4 or more crazy diver you, and in case anyone didn't know. I was singing this most of the time, and even bubbling it out of my regulator when i saw BOB aka "Grateful Diver" underwater.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bMc_cDwds4[/youtube]
diver1996
Getting To Know Folks

Post by diver1996 »

Hi, had a great time lots of diving, food and good weather doesn't get much better
The_Geoduck
Getting To Know Folks

Post by The_Geoduck »

Dashrynn wrote:
I was singing this most of the time, and even bubbling it out of my regulator when i saw BOB aka "Grateful Diver" underwater. wrote:
So that was you singing Holy Diver at Redondo! I got a chuckle out of it (and your falsetto voice) and I've had that song playing over & over in my head ever since.. For the life of me I couldn't place who the original artist was.. Thanks for the youtube post, of course...Ronnie James Dio!

Fun dive yesterday. My first with NDC and totally impressed with how friendly everyone was.
vlad
Aquaphile

Post by vlad »

Well, this was my first club dive, it was nice to meet you all. Big thanks to Lynne, Peter and Kelly for the company underwater, diving was great!
Last edited by vlad on Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ketralis
Aquaphile

Post by ketralis »

Phooey, I got stuck working. Couldn't make it cause the schedule kept changing and so we just got back on Friday... Then I had to work on Saturday :penelope: . Darn you Uncle S., DAAARRRRNNNN YOOOUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!! :angry: lol. Well now that's out of my system, hopefully I'll be able to make the Keystone Dive.
-Kevin

(Disclaimer: For any Government Officials or other Interested Parties who may or may not be reading this, the above statements are meant as a humorous and satirical look at scheduling conflicts between the workplace and ones personal life and reflect in no way my viewpoint, or the viewpoints of anyone associated with me, of the United States of America, it's government, or any of its Armed Forces. If you are inclined to believe otherwise, please feel free to find a sense of humor. God Bless the USA)
Divers have to be safe when they go under the water. Divers can't go down alone, so they have to go down on each other. (Becky, age 8)
Mongo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Mongo »

Good times.
Tubesnout23
Submariner

Post by Tubesnout23 »

Dashrynn wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:Might be easier to ask who wasn't there ... this was without question the best-attended club dive we've ever had ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
best one i have been to hahaha.

Bob this one is for you...you you 4 or more crazy diver you, and in case anyone didn't know. I was singing this most of the time, and even bubbling it out of my regulator when i saw BOB aka "Grateful Diver" underwater.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bMc_cDwds4[/youtube]
That's funny...I would have never thought that somebody would have come up with something like that! Good find Dash!This song does not apply only to Bob only...It can also easily be applied to another 'crazy diver' who lives closer to my home and it is not you... :norris: :mermaid:
spatman
I've Got Gills

Club Dive! Club Dive! Club Dive! September 18th!

Post by spatman »

So where are the pic from Saturday? Tom, Calvin, I know you guys had your cameras out. Post some up!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Here are some pics!
Attachments
PhotoWinners.jpg
ClubDive 10.jpg
ClubDive 9.jpg
ClubDive 8.jpg
ClubDive 7.jpg
ClubDive 6.jpg
ClubDive 5.jpg
ClubDive 4.jpg
ClubDive 3.jpg
ClubDive 2.jpg
ClubDive 1.jpg
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Tangfish wrote:Here are some pics!
Dang, now I know why Scottsax was looking all worried that day!
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!