8/12/10, Thursday...Sund Rock?

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Show up bright and early, two maybe three dives.
We usually bring two tanks, get refills while having a lunch/Surface interval and go back for a third or fourth dive.
Meet At Sund Rock at 8:00am'ish :smt064
Who wan'ts to join me?
:popcorn:
Then,

Thursday Night :blackblink: .... Three Tree N. :supz:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: 8/12/10, Thursday...Sund Rock?

Post by Tom Nic »

You know I'm there...

Hey, wait a minute, this was my idea!!

Way to jump on board!!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I might be able to make it. Gotta check with my bud and see if he's good for that day.
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

I can probably make it. I'll let you know as it gets closer to Thursday.
"Well as much as this pains me I am gonna have to pull out" - pogiguy05
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I'll be there with my bud in tow but the shop doesn't open till 10am so we are going for 9:30 at the shop :taco:
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

BASSMAN wrote:Meet At Sund Rock at 8:00am'ish
Are you planning to pay or to hike?
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Pay of course! I'm to old for that hike stuff :rawlings: :rawlings:
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Change of plans...
I have an important Doctor's appointment @ 11:00 am.
So now I will be meeting up with Tom Nic @ 3:00pm.
We will do two dives and if I can talk Tom into it we will do a third dive as a night dive.
Bringing two tanks and planning to get one filled after the first dive.
So, meet up at http://www.hoodsportndive.com/ @ 2:30 or3:00 pm, I will pay my $10.00
(I think that's the cost during the week)
If I can be there earlier, I will try to get there.
My cell # is 253-241-5090.

If a few of you still want to do the early dives, then don't let me stop you. Just show up and dive.

My computer is wigging out on me gotta go..
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

Well I guess I plan on being at Hoodsport N' Dive when they open. How were you going to get in at 8:00. Anyone else still planning on 8:00 or 10:00?

Either way Keith, I'll be at Sund when you get there. If you see your truck (my truck) but not me then I might be in the water.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Party Pooper!! :smt064

I will be at the shop by 10am as planned. :pirate:
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

gutholmj wrote: How were you going to get in at 8:00.
If you call the shop the day before they will leave a key for you in a designated spot. I've done this a TON - I love getting there early and being the first in the water.

Also, my buddy Tim and I will be doing a couple dives there Friday AM as well.

We'll be camping up at Lake Cushman.
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

Dusty2 wrote:Party Pooper!! :smt064

I will be at the shop by 10am as planned. :pirate:
Great, I'll see you then.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Glad that you guys will be able to meet and dive. Jeff - will you hang around to dive with Keith and I later? You could make a marathon 4 or 5 dive day out of things! There are easy 4 distinct profiles to dive Sund, and if you get creative a couple more.
mancub
Dive-aholic

Post by mancub »

Tom you say there are multiple profiles, I'm going to Sund on Saturday for the first time with a few buddies. I was planning to do North wall, Wreck, then South wall. Three separate dives, is this generally the best way to split it up?

Thanks! I am really excited for a new site, muk and cove 2 have been wearing on me lately.

Jacob
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Jacob - that definitely works fine. Here's a few profiles I've run - and I'm sure there are more, especially if you go beyond recreational depths, which I do not! Make sure you stop by Hoodsportndive for a map of the site.

#1 Deep Center Wall There's a deep, not very large (a few feet high) wall directly out from the North entry in 90ish fsw. Lot's of muck, but cool stuff on the wall, including a couple of Red Brotulas. Make sure you have adequate gas, watch what you're doing etc. I haven't done this dive alot, but you can go straight out, down slope to the wall, then slowly work your way up slope to the South and end your dive on the near end of the South Wall.
#2 North Wall - We'll hit the buoy at the top of the North wall, drop and head down the wall staying deep. We mess around in the boulders, etc along the bottom of the wall - usually good for an octo / wolf eel or 3. If the viz is good and you want to stay deeper you can go out from the edge of bottom of the wall and find a bit of random structure. Then at the end of the wall we begin to zig zag up the wall in 10 or 15fsw increments, "combing" wall shooting pics. We usually make 3 or 4 passes then end up at the top of the wall (at 25 or 30fsw depending on the tide) and go inland in the "Fish Bowl" and end our dive coming slowly into the entry.
#3 Trawler - You can do the trawler by dropping at the North Wall buoy, heading deep along the wall (70 fsw or so), then coming up to about 50 fsw and heading across the silt slope till you hit the trawler. This is a combined Wall and trawler profile that's fun, but limits the time you spend on the Trawler.
#4 Trawler #2 - We tried this profile out a few months ago and it is a great one if you want to take advantage of good viz and spend more time on the trawler. We swim out, drop on the north wall or Fish Bowl, and head north at a shallower depth, moving fairly quickly for a good ways, then past the wall dropping down to 40 fsw or so until you hit the trawler. This maximizes your time on the trawler and let's you "comb" it pretty good looking for all the cool things there are to photograph. I took a flyer on this profile on a good viz day when I had been frustrated with only 10 minutes on the trawler when there was so much I wanted to take pictures of.
#5 South Wall - If you vary your depth you can do two very different dives on this wall. It is so long that unless you're moving along at a good clip it's hard to cover it all.

Also, if we have gas we will end our South Wall dives by coming across slope to the north entry in the 20 fsw range, poking around the anchors and the row boat, etc that is in the shallows here.

Viz determines alot of my profile choices at Sund. In my experience viz is rarely great in the shallows (above 30 fsw). When it is I definitely take advantage of it. The South wall in particular is a great dive in the 20 fsw range but people don't usually spend alot of time there because viz is generally so crappy it's hard to take pictures.

Disclaimer - This is an incorrigible photographer talking that likes to go slow and shoot tons of macro. For me Sund is a photographers and critter lovers dream, ...so many different critters at different times of the year and so much to see! If you're a speed diver or have a scooter you could do the entire Marine preserve in one dive, see a couple big critters, then move off for bigger and better things.

Be safe and have fun!
mancub
Dive-aholic

Post by mancub »

Tom

Thanks for the dive site info! That definitely helps supplement the other info I have browsed around for.

Happy diving to you
Jacob
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

I'll be at Sund Rock around 8:00 if anyone wants to join me that early.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Tom Nic wrote:#1 Deep Center Wall There's a deep, not very large (a few feet high) wall directly out from the North entry in 90ish fsw. Lot's of muck, but cool stuff on the wall, including a couple of Red Brotulas. Make sure you have adequate gas, watch what you're doing etc. I haven't done this dive alot, but you can go straight out, down slope to the wall, then slowly work your way up slope to the South and end your dive on the near end of the South Wall.
way down there just to the north of center (if that makes sense) is a very cool field of sea whips. depths vary depending on tides, so it can be in the 95' to 110' range.

also don't forget to mention NWDC at hoodsport n dive to get a discount on the parking fee.

sea whip video from sund:
http://www.vimeo.com/4828696
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

spatman wrote:way down there just to the north of center (if that makes sense) is a very cool field of sea whips. depths vary depending on tides, so it can be in the 95' to 110' range.
Yeah, the sea whips are very cool - I wonder if they are a Hood CAnal "fixture"? Almost every dive that I've gone deep I start seeing them, Rosie's Ravine, and most of the regular sites that the Down Time hits have them past a certain depth, although I've only seen them on sandy / silty bottoms, not in rock.
spatman wrote:also don't forget to mention NWDC at hoodsport n dive to get a discount on the parking fee.
Since the fee structure has been changed I'm not sure this is applicable any more, although I'll find out for sure on Friday. They changed the fee structure where they charge $10.00 Monday - Thursday, and on the weekend it's $16.00. They had been giving us a discounted $12.00 - obviously $10 is better than that. I'll check if they're still doing it on weekends.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

OK since someone already mentioned my name (JEFF) and the times moved to a more reasonable 3pm I will fill my tanks and meet you there at 3pm. Been about 2 weeks since I have been wet and the last time I was at Sund Rock we all know how that went. Hopefully my luck is better :smt064

Only 2 dives for me thanks
Jeff Castor
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Tom Nic wrote:Since the fee structure has been changed I'm not sure this is applicable any more, although I'll find out for sure on Friday. They changed the fee structure where they charge $10.00 Monday - Thursday, and on the weekend it's $16.00. They had been giving us a discounted $12.00 - obviously $10 is better than that. I'll check if they're still doing it on weekends.
let us know what you find out. when did they change the pricing?
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

It's been quite a few months, not exactly sure how long.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Tom Nic wrote:It's been quite a few months, not exactly sure how long.
rick and i got a discount on a weekend a couple of months ago, knocked down from $16. i'm curious to hear if it applies during the week, too.