Weekend TWEEK! (with Guy Shockey)

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Weekend TWEEK! (with Guy Shockey)

Post by ljjames »

It is finally upon us! The WEEKEND Tweek with Guy Shockey!!! after a bit of a rough start with scheduling, holidays, etc... its now almost HERE!!!!!

SO!

If you have even the most passing interest in GUE or the style of diving, what kind of classes and workshops are available, and what kind of cool dives some 'local' (BC) GUE divers are doing, or if you just wanna come meet some divers that you think you might jive with, COME DIVE WITH US! It's an ALL (certified) DIVERS dive!

Where: Cove 2 (seacrest, West seattle)

When: SATURDAY!!!! (sept. 11)

Time: meeting at 1pm

What: Grip and Grin with Guy Shockey, see if GUE Primer workshop (or Fundamentals) is something you might be interested in...

Goal: HAVE FUN DIVING!

Then what: Hopefully if weather is nice enough, a post dive BBQ (or we all head over to my place or pizza place)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: Weekend TWEEK! (with Guy Shockey)

Post by LCF »

Guy is an extremely nice man, soft spoken and enthusiastic, with a great sense of humor and a deep dedication to teaching. I highly recommend anybody with any even passing interest in what he's doing stop by and say hello.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
disappearinjon
Frequent Bubbler

Post by disappearinjon »

Hey, I was just thinking I'd need to post to find a buddy at Alki this Saturday about that time... this seems like a better idea. :bounce:

Though I will be diving wet, still, sigh.

Never been to a TWEEK before - is there an ur-thread somewhere that tells me everything I need to know?
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

A Tweek is a just a dive. Laura has set up a series of them, for people who are interested in or curious about the GUE system of diving. If you don't have a clue what that is, it's okay -- we'll explain it to you, and you'll get to see divers trained this way in the water. If you're new, all the better; more stuff there to absorb and think about. And Guy's an extremely nice man, and he's here to answer people's questions.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I'll be there teaching an AOW student from about 2 PM till we can get in a night dive (long day ... got a nitrox class in the morning).

It'd be good to see Guy again ... was hoping to dive with him this trip, but classes kinda piled up ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
bfann
Avid Diver

Post by bfann »

I'll be there! Looking forward to learning more about GUE!
disappearinjon
Frequent Bubbler

Post by disappearinjon »

disappearinjon wrote:Hey, I was just thinking I'd need to post to find a buddy at Alki this Saturday about that time... this seems like a better idea.
Now I realize that I'm not going to make it today. Oh well -- I'll make *some* event *sometime* though, really!
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

WOW!!!!!!! I just can't thank everyone enough for coming out and spending the day and even just stopping by to say hi to the gang at our little gathering!!!

Everyone who said "Guy is so nice/so cool/really laid back/etc..." you guys, come on.... that was the total understatement!!!

I think Guy Shockey is _exactly_ what our GUE community has been in need of :) He's everything everyone has said, times about 100!!!

But i really think what he said to one of the PADI tech instructors who joined us today summed it up perfectly...

the gist of which is, he's just happy to have people interested in learning, continuing to learn, getting more comfortable, etc... Whether they only ever attend one class/workshop and take home some stuff that was meaningful to them, and pay it forward to their students/buddies or they decide to jump in with both fins and go through the whole GUE process, he is glad to be a part of the process :) Its all about making happier, more comfortable, safer divers.... One diver at a time :)

He was kind enough to take a look at the guys we've been mentoring locally and give them feedback as to where they should start (primer or fundies) and he even took the time to get our newest newbie (his first time out with us, first time in cold water, etc..) dialed in a bit after the group dive...

Guy is showing some awesome commitment to building a strong GUE community in the northwest (came down on his own time/own dollar so we could meet him in person), anyone who's been interested in Primer or GUE fundamentals, nows the time... He's local enough that he's willing to come down and teach over two consecutive weekends which tends to work very well for Fundamentals...

Can you tell I'm stoked about how the day went?!?!?!? Heck, the WEATHER even played nice!

I think we did okay, and didn't scare him off, and that he'll even be back for MORE!!!!

Thanks again to everyone!!!!!!!!!!!
----
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

----
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I spent a week with Guy in Mexico (including getting into some arguments with him) and I'll second the statement that he is an extremely nice man with a really deep dedication to teaching, and doing whatever he can to help people improve their skills and increase their enjoyment of diving. I really wish I'd been able to dive with you guys yesterday!
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

video video video!!!!!!!!!!!!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2ugXOSIGuw[/youtube]
----
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

My goodness, we do look like a bunch of clones, don't we? :D

Looks like everybody had a good time.

Anyone coming out Wednesday?
Rooinater
Dive-aholic

Post by Rooinater »

I should be there, I just need to find a good place to get air in the Seattle/U-District area tomorrow.