wed and thurs tweeks this week

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
ljjames
I've Got Gills

wed and thurs tweeks this week

Post by ljjames »

By popular demand, it looks like we are gonna have not one, but TWO tweeks this week.

Day: Wednesday Sept 22nd, and Thurs Sept 23rd.
place: Cove 2
time: arrival time ~7pm

core group will be there both days, as will hot chocolate...

let us know ahead of time if you want to try specific gear and we will see about rounding up enough to go around...

Also, as a heads up, it looks like Guy Shockey will be coming back in October for another meet and greet! (and also to see the progress of his upcoming Fundies students perhaps) The GUE Fundamentals class in Nov/Dec (Split weekends) is a go!!!!! dates are 19th -21st of November and the 11th and 12th of December. We have three enrolled/paid, and room for 3 more if we do the dives in two groups.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: wed and thurs tweeks this week

Post by LCF »

I'll try to make Wednesday. I want to try out a new tail weight on our 72s. (Translation: Nobody is to laugh at my trim :) )
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Lynne, don't worry, i had them flooding their masks at Redondo when i kept trying to move my 72's low enough on my body to trim them out by loosening the Cinch harness up underwater and 'wiggle wiggle' to try to get them to move 'down'. The end result looked like some kind of bizzaar-but-not-quite-epileptic-white-girl-dancing move, and since i couldn't make the crotch strap short enough without a major adjustment (AKA taking the tanks off my back) the end result was the 72's basically doing the end of the dive by themselves and me suspended below them in a diving trapeze ;)

note to self, 72's fight being trimmed out with their steely might.
----
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

72s are quite simply the most uncooperative tanks in the diving universe, I think -- they are worse than 95s, if such a thing is possible. But I'm hoping that half of a 14 lb V-weight hung off the bottom bolt might tame them.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

LCF wrote:72s are quite simply the most uncooperative tanks in the diving universe, I think -- they are worse than 95s, if such a thing is possible. But I'm hoping that half of a 14 lb V-weight hung off the bottom bolt might tame them.
I don't understand where all the difficulties come from with these?

I'll try to be there thursday but these afterwork things are a pita
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

I think the difficulties come with the variance in 72's from tank to tank.

I've had incredibly buoyant 72's and reasonably neutral ones. they are thin walled due to their low pressure build, so overall tank is lighter and the valves and regulators really do tend to make them head heavy. (its not just our imagination)

The set i'm currently diving is 'okay' for the most part, it's not insanely buoyant, but they are still a bit top heavy and need to be dove 'lower' on my back than old HP102's, new hp120's or LP95's and 104's, and with a V-weight that ends up making them about as heavy as HP102's total kit weight... so other than redundancy, i'm really not gaining that much benefit.

I have never found the hassle to be worth the price savings of getting a set of old 72's. Generally the advice i give is: save a bit more and get some AL80's or wait a bit longer, borrow tanks from your mentor or whatever, and get a conventional set of dubs (HP/LP, your choice). You'll be happier in the end.
----
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I sold mine to Lynne ;) or maybe it was Peter. In any case while they are a bit too small for me to bother with, I don't recall any particluar uniqueness about double 72s - at least on me.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Peter copes with them pretty well, but I end up on my head. I thought it was me, until I spent an hour and a half with Bob Sherwood, who has a reputation for being the whiz kid on trimming stuff out, and at the end of it he told me there was nothing wrong with my technique, and I was right, I just couldn't trim those tanks out. But since we have two sets of them (and you sold them to me, Richard) it would be nice to get them to where they are comfortable, so I'm still trying.
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

I'll head down tonight and would happily accept any can light that is proffered.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

i imagine there will be one or two extras :)
----
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I'll be there tonight but for some reason had freshwater on the brain. If someone could loan me ~5lbs of lead that would be swell. I'll probably be futzing with it at the end of the dive, part of my reason for coming is for weight chekcing some PST lp95s that I've never run down to 400psi and which seem heavy. I'd also like to do some midwater valve drills with bottles and a few rotations so I might be a pretty boring buddy.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Oh, FOO, Richard! I would KILL for a buddy to do some midwater skills with, but I'm out of tanks and out of energy for tonight (diving once or twice a day since Saturday!) Any chance you'll come next week?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I might be able to come next week.

Although its 10am, plenty of time for fills before 6ish ;) If I had 2 full 80 stages you could just use one of those if you had an empty around. But I intentionally brought one full one and one empty since I don't think a little 10-15min lopp around the I-beams would use up enough gas to allow me to putz with bottle rotations quite right shallow.
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

I know Lynne will do (is doing) a tweak report from last night, but I just wanted to get this image up -- I like it!

lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

doh! that's gotta hurt...

i may have to pass on the tweak tonight... there's a non-diving computer geek thing i want to go to tonight...
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Oh, gas I could get . . . if you can figure out where I can go get the energy-tank filled, that would be more helpful!

Who knows what will happen before 6.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Good time last night. Nice to see everyone and put faces on a bunch of friends. Richard, I'll be there tonight and can lend you some lead. I'll even dive with your boring self if nobody else feels charitable. Kidding. It would be a privilege. (To dive with me. LOL)
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

great picture Peter!!!
Peter Guy wrote:I know Lynne will do (is doing) a tweak report from last night, but I just wanted to get this image up -- I like it!

----
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

no passing on tweeks! computer geek stuff will come around again, its not like there are a shortage of you in this area.... ;)
lamont wrote:doh! that's gotta hurt...

i may have to pass on the tweak tonight... there's a non-diving computer geek thing i want to go to tonight...
----
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

ljjames wrote:no passing on tweeks! computer geek stuff will come around again, its not like there are a shortage of you in this area.... ;)

Seconded. You've got all day for computer geek stuff!
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

ljjames wrote:great picture Peter!!!
Peter Guy wrote:I know Lynne will do (is doing) a tweak report from last night, but I just wanted to get this image up -- I like it!

That is an amzing shot, Peter!
Which lens are you using on your Oly?
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
ldevore
Compulsive Diver

Post by ldevore »

I will (finally) be there this evening. I wouldn't mind doing some mid-water bottle stuff as well.

Lynn - regarding the energy fill. I think it is spelled Starb....:coffee: I'm sure there is one right across the street from your LDS. Whereever, your LDS is. Would love to see you!

Lauri
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

CaptnJack wrote:
ljjames wrote:no passing on tweeks! computer geek stuff will come around again, its not like there are a shortage of you in this area.... ;)

Seconded. You've got all day for computer geek stuff!
yeah, but this particular brand of computer geekery going on tonight is right up my alley... i'm basically what JJ is to cavediving with this stuff... i need to get out more in that community...

and actually, there's only a few people in the area that really do what i do...

(and it could lead to consulting gigs and more free time in the future... ideally i'd like to quit the full-time job and work 6-9 months/year contract at some point... i'm turning 40 soon and i'm getting tired of it...)
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

we like the idea of you having more free time... to DIVE! ;) So if you must bail on us for the greater good, we understand (sorta) *grin*
----
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

ljjames wrote:we like the idea of you having more free time... to DIVE! ;) So if you must bail on us for the greater good, we understand (sorta) *grin*
yes, that's the idea. =)

it all does come back to diving more in the end...

just like slow down to speed up...

dive less to dive more...